Search function - almost useless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did a search this moring for Sony HDR-SR1. It came up with no results despite this current post: U/w Hd Video System For Sale - $1999
I then took out the hyphen in the HDR-SR1 and got results for every post that had the word sony in it. I am using the search default that is suppossed to search the entire post, not just titles. I have found this in the past, where there are no results, or almost every post listed, especially if there are initials involved. Any chance for a better search program? I know it might cut down on multiple posts on the same subject.

Use this as your search string

Sony HDR*SR1 (or just HDR*SR1)

Feeding this
Code:
Sony HDR-SR1 site:scubaboard.com
to Google will also work quite nicely. :)

Use this as your search string

Sony HDR*SR1 (or just HDR*SR1)

Tried it using HDR*SR1 - the first listing is the photo gallery- no surprise there. The second result is this thread :

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/camera-coach/226276-auto-white-balance-devil.html

I looked at all 30 posts and did not find the HDR*SR1 character string anywhere in any of the posts. There are some HDR references, but that is my point. Our search feature is too non-specific.

The google search was spot on. Thanks El.

Three characters is a bit of a problem with the internal search engine.

Also try the Google Custom Search someone set up for Scubaboard. Using HDR-SR1 generates 2 pages of on-topic posts. Using SR1 generated posts about the Sherwood regulator of the same name...lol.

Also try the Google Custom Search someone set up for Scubaboard. Using HDR-SR1 generates 2 pages of on-topic posts. Using SR1 generated posts about the Sherwood regulator of the same name...lol.

Cool. Thanks.

Or even simpler just put the string between inverted commas when using the search
"Sony HDR-SR1"

Or even simpler just put the string between inverted commas when using the search
"Sony HDR-SR1"
What's interesting is that with the .vBulletin search this works, yet it doesn't for either "HDR-SR1" or "SR1".
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Don't ask me why, I just work here...lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom