Info Deep6 Excursion Upgrade Beta Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
From Facebook:

Deep6 Excursion Dive Computer Update and Seeking Test Divers!
*PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST*
I know everyone has been eagerly awaiting a major update on the firmware release, and here it is. The firmware is nearing final release and is now feature complete with user GFs, multi-gas, Trimix OC, and numerous other enhancements.
Additional features and function updates have been put on hold for future releases, all that remains is final testing and a few minor cosmetic fixes.
We have added a crazy amount of new features and updates, many of which will appear seamless to the end user. Once we reach final release time, I will make an encompassing list of all the changes we have made and post it online at the website and our social media accounts.
Right now we are ready to accept test divers into our 'beta' program. **TO PARTICIPATE YOU MUST ALREADY OWN AN EXCURSION DIVE COMPUTER, OR BE WILLING TO PURCHASE ONE.**
So far we have done thousands of hours of simulated test dives, and hundreds of hours of actual dives among our team, but there are only a few of us! So this is an open recruitment post. I need a maximum of 20 divers to participate (17 spots remaining).
First let's list the terms!
Terms:
1.) You must already own, or be willing to purchase, an Excursion dive computer.
2.) You must at least be an Advanced Nitrox certified diver. This isn't to be overly restrictive, we love all of our divers, but we need participants who have a good foundational knowledge of decompression to give relevant feedback on their experience with the new firmware.
3.) You must be able to do at least 15-20 dives over the next 30 days, primarily OC Tech. I need active divers who are going to put in the dives. Joining the program just to get early access, and then not doing any dives, will slow down the firmware release as I will have to find new divers to replace inactive ones in the test pool.
4.) You have to send your computer to us so we can flash it and return it to you. Or you can buy one and we will flash it before sending to you. The final release will be upgradable through iOS and Android, but the test firmware must be loaded by us directly.
5.) You must be willing to actively participate in group Zoom calls within the test pool to discuss the unit and your dive experiences with it. We need active feedback right?
6.) You cannot post to social media or publicly discuss the features or functions prior to release. This is a closed testing pool. We have some surprises for our customers we don't want to release yet!
7.) Important: You will need to sign a release/NDA for your participation in the group. This is a great opportunity for direct involvement, and we expect that you will treat it as such. After the test period ends you will be able to talk about features and such of course!
So how do you sign up?
Send an email to support@deep6gear.com highlighting why you think you would be a good fit for participation. You don't have to write a novel, a paragraph will do, I appreciate a concise summary. Include proof of certification level.
So what do you get for participation?
Obviously you gain early access to the software to help us test it out, and to offer feedback that may or may not result in future feature additions.
Once the program is completed and the firmware is released, Beta testers will receive a free upgrade to the full trimix/CC edition of the firmware, when released.
I know the development team has had a blast working on this project and I can't thank my fellow programmers/consultants enough for their expertise in getting this product to market. Thousands of hours of coding/testing, 23,000+ new lines of code and we are almost there. I am excited that we are nearing our release, and look forward to working with participants as we finalize the product!
Cheers,
Landon & The Deep6 Team.

1654560551041.png

Nice to hear the update progressed to this phase! Awaiting the public release, and hopefully I am able to return to diving by then.

Hello,

Any update on this? Thanks.

Patience is a virtue. If you buy a new one today, it comes with the new firmware. That is progress.
It does not come with the new firmware. I just received mine.

What is the differentiator for this computer? I like Deep6 and I dive with their regs, but I don't see what this brings to the table that isn't already available at similar cost from the other manufacturers? I always like to see more entrants into a space, bringing innovation and lowering costs, but I don't see what sets this apart from the others available now.

@LandonL reported it in the Black Friday sales!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom