Info Deep6 Excursion Upgrade Beta Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the differentiator for this computer? I like Deep6 and I dive with their regs, but I don't see what this brings to the table that isn't already available at similar cost from the other manufacturers? I always like to see more entrants into a space, bringing innovation and lowering costs, but I don't see what sets this apart from the others available now.
What ae the others that are comparable?

Mares quad, Mares Pro, Aqualung I330, etc, etc. I dive a Perdix AI, but this doesn't seem to offer any functionality above the standard computer offered by many others. I could be missing something, but it isn't AI, doesn't offer multiple gases, so I don't see the niche they are trying to fill.

What is the differentiator for this computer? I like Deep6 and I dive with their regs, but I don't see what this brings to the table that isn't already available at similar cost from the other manufacturers? I always like to see more entrants into a space, bringing innovation and lowering costs, but I don't see what sets this apart from the others available now.

What ae the others that are comparable?

Mares quad, Mares Pro, Aqualung I330, etc, etc. I dive a Perdix AI, but this doesn't seem to offer any functionality above the standard computer offered by many others. I could be missing something, but it isn't AI, doesn't offer multiple gases, so I don't see the niche they are trying to fill.
Hi @Guitarcrazy

The Excursion runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C rather than Mares RGBM, PZ+, etc. With the Tech Lite firmware upgrade, it will run custom GFs and 3 gases. It was recently on sale for $300, now at its regular price of $350. No other computers near that price point run Buhlmann with custom GFs. The Aqua Lung i330R and Seac computers run Buhlmann, but only with presets. The maximum GF high for the i330R is 90 and 85 for the Seac computers.

The updated Excursion would make a very good backup for your Perdix AI, same deco algorithm and settings. The updated Excursion would work for early tech training like AN/DP.

The new firmware update will address most of your concerns.
You are mentioning larger computers...not wristwatch sized.
The Excursion sets with four buttons (not 2) ....easy UI.
The BIG deal on the Excursion is that its deco algorithm is Buhlmann with GFs....like your Perdix. it is good to have your backup computer use the same algorithm as your main computer.

Thanks. When I looked on the site it says single gas nitrox. So this is an affordable computer usable for tec diving?

Thanks Tursiops. I don't carry a backup computer. I don't do any tech diving and never dive alone. I like the Perdix, but I honestly don't use a lot of the capability. I like the large screen so I don't have to squint to see it. My wife has a Oceanic Pro Plus and a deepblu cosmic, so between the 3 computers we feel pretty secure. It makes more sense if this is catering to more technical divers at that lower price point.

Thanks. When I looked on the site it says single gas nitrox. So this is an affordable computer usable for tec diving?
The original firmware is not suitable for tec diving, nor was the computer designed for tec diving. But the new firmware is reported to solve all those problems, and to be useful for "tec lite." Most of us have not seen the new firmware yet, however.

It appears that the website/owner's manual has not been updated as of yet. The Tech Lite firmware upgrade was said to be shipping a week ago. I have not seen reviews yet.

When did you order it?
saturday the 26th. hope this helps :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom