Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a press release on the search but it is another Internet translation:

https://noticias.canal10.tv/nota/reporte-ciudadano/comunicado-de-prensa-sobre-la-busqueda-de-cameron-donaldson-2019-03-21

Press release on
Cameron Donaldson's search

Citizen Report /
Most relevant Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:50

CASE BACKGROUND

Cameron James Donaldson was reported missing by
his mother, a diving partner, when he did not return from a dive at Playa las
Rocas, in the northern zone of the Island of Cozumel, on March 16, 2019 around
2:30 p.m.

The? search has required the participation of
authorities and volunteers, extending from the island of Cozumel to the area of
Cancun, Isla Mujeres, and South Florida in the United States.

Some of the search vehicles have been provided by
the Mexican Government, the Secretary of the Navy and the Secretary of National
Defense, while others have been financed by private funds collected through a
crowd-funding campaign launched by relatives and friends of Cameron: www.gofundme.com/find-cameron-donaldson

All the money collected has been used to rent
aircraft, helicopters and boats necessary for this type of search, which has
been defined according to the analysis of the currents patterns of the Gulf of
Mexico and the Caribbean. With this information, the tracking area could extend
to the south of the United States and to Cuba, whose governments have already
been informed about the possible presence of Cameron in its waters.

UPDATE WEDNESDAY,
MARCH 20

Government and
authorities continue to support the search by land and air. As regards private
efforts, in the morning, nine boats left Holbox on a trip to Cabo Catoche.
Drones equipped with thermal cameras overflew the area of Puerto Morelos and
tried to do it towards Isla Mujeres, however, weather conditions in the area
caused the closure of navigation for small boats and prevented the continuation
of the operation. Two private planes overflew the Key Shores area of Florida
for five hours.

Government and
authorities continue to support the search by land and air. A group of
volunteers arrived by boat to the northern tip of the island of Cozumel - an
area depopulated with abundant vegetation and inaccessible by land - to conduct
an exploration that extended from dawn to around four in the afternoon. A team of
rescue diving experts toured the Cameron diving area even deeper in search of
any trace. The aerial and maritime search continued with 3 small planes, and
the presence of a helicopter belonging to the Government of the State of
Quintana Roo thanks to the kind intervention of Mr. Governing Carlos Joaquín
González.

ABOUT CAMERON
DONALDSON

From Lachute, in
the Canadian state of Quebec, in Canada; Cameron discovered his great passion
in the exploration of the underwater world and photography. In addition to
being an experienced diver, as a social worker and therapist, Cameron created a
free diving therapy program for young people from troubled social environments,
or with complex cases of post-traumatic stress as a way to regain confidence.
More information in English about the program can be found at:
www.Kuuchiitaau.com and on the Facebook page of the initiative: @eeyoudivers

Which is a big issue and we have every right to be concerned about it. If true, every hour that goes by increases a search area exponentially. 24 hours is unacceptable, IMO.

This is the reason I carry PAB & PLB as the MCC response for PLB tend to be delayed.

Which is a big issue and we have every right to be concerned about it. If true, every hour that goes by increases a search area exponentially. 24 hours is unacceptable, IMO.

Correct; and it has nothing to do with positivity vs. negativity. The fact that 24 hours (or so) elapsed before air resources were mobilized might have greatly impacted the success of the rescue. Ideally, this timeframe should be improved in order to mount a more effective rescue.

Correct; and it has nothing to do with positivity vs. negativity. The fact that 24 hours (or so) elapsed before air resources were mobilized might have greatly impacted the success of the rescue. Ideally, this timeframe should be improved in order to mount a more effective rescue.

While I haven't been to Mexico in quite some time, I do have close to a dozen trips down there over the years. I don't expect USCG levels of SAR resources (nor police or fire or anything else) and make my plans accordingly. The fact that they have as many planes in the air as they're been able to mobilize is a bit of a shock to me. @CuzzA I'm not sure where your expectations are coming from but Mexico doesn't have the resources. There are millions of people in dire poverty, up to 1/3rd of the population is hungry, there's a sky high unsolved murder rate, and millions of people haven't even been past 8th grade. Yes the Yucatan is more prosperous than the rest of the country. But having long range dual engine Jayhawk helicopters, C-130s, and patrol boats like you find in FL along with properly trained staff "on call" is not a simple or cheap undertaking. Props to those who have been able to marshal the effort expended so far.

While I haven't been to Mexico in quite some time, I do have close to a dozen trips down there over the years. I don't expect USCG levels of SAR resources (nor police or fire or anything else) and make my plans accordingly. The fact that they have as many planes in the air as they're been able to mobilize is a bit of a shock to me. @CuzzA I'm not sure where your expectations are coming from but Mexico doesn't have the resources. There are millions of people in dire poverty, up to 1/3rd of the population is hungry, there's a sky high unsolved murder rate, and millions of people haven't even been past 8th grade. Yes the Yucatan is more prosperous than the rest of the country. But having long range dual engine Jayhawk helicopters, C-130s, and patrol boats like you find in FL along with properly trained staff "on call" is not a simple or cheap undertaking. Props to those who have been able to marshal the effort expended so far.

I agree with you there. As I mentioned above (somewhere)… this is the difference, at least potentially, between first world and second/third world responses. Mexico is not nearly as well funded as, for instance, the US or Canada, for such undertakings. For those who choose to recreate in places where the funding for SAR is just not there, it pays to be prepared and have equipment and a plan in place for these type of contingencies. I have recreated all over the world, and have never needed a SAR response, but I do make sure I pack the extra weight for contingencies. My favorite beacon is an IR beacon that runs on a 9v battery. Fits in my pocket, and I can tell you, I'll be adding it to my dive kit in a waterproof submersible container.

This popped up on my phone as the best of the last 3 months just now. I'd have to agree. I loaded it on youtube so I could share it with y'all. I so want to send it to Cameron right now.

Update for Cameron Donaldson

March 22, 2019

We continued our extensive search for Cameron today. We remain focused on a positive and appreciate all the loving kindness from each of you.

The Military SAR plane and boat performed an extensive search over the drift models indicated areas.

The chartered boats focused on the dive site and then went to the end of the island. Volunteers utilized other boats to search more areas around the island.

Cuban officials have been notified with a request to perform SAR in their jurisdiction. Volunteers in Cuba continue to spread the word about Cameron and recruit search assistance along the coast.

Thank you for the donations and support; we could not have done this without your love for Cameron!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom