Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I haven't seen in mentioned, would it be worth inquiring with one of the submarine touring companies on the island to make a search pass at greater depths? I don't know if this is practical, what the safety concerns would be, costs, etc. Sorry I didn't think of this sooner.
I know a guy that used to work on those subs so I contacted him. They are limited to 150 feet, and that's if the operator is willing to take them to their limit.

Many years ago, a Florida doctor diving with his sons in the Great Blue Hole was lost as the group was ascending because one son had a problem that required the guide's help. The doctor father disappeared. After many divers unsuccessfully looked for him, his family hired an unmanned sub to plumb the depths.

That said, he wasn't found that way.

As I haven't seen in mentioned, would it be worth inquiring with one of the submarine touring companies on the island to make a search pass at greater depths? I don't know if this is practical, what the safety concerns would be, costs, etc. Sorry I didn't think of this sooner.

The Cozumel submarine stays in Chankanaab where there is zero current and a hard sea floor underneath it at about 60-70 feet. It gets dragged to and from the location because it is unable to deal with currents. Putting a submarine over the north wall of Cozumel would be unwise.

It took Mexico SAR over 24 hours to get the first asset in the air due to a lack of pilots or mechanical problems or whatever other excuse was used.

I spoke with a friend in Coz who informed me the dive community has and will continue to bring attention to how this was handled early on by Mexican SAR and hopefully something positive will come out of this incident... Like maybe Mexico SAR gets it assets in working order, has pilots on hand, and can react with a much faster response time. What would happen if a cruise ship sank quickly off the coast, 1000's of passengers and crew went in the water and it took Mexican SAR over a day to get a helicopter to the scene? Something tells me it would be an international horror story for Mexican authorities that would draw worldwide criticism but 1 diver disappearing... oh well... just another diver lost nothing to worry about. BUT Cameron's incident has made the news in a pretty big way and has drawn attention to their obvious SAR inadequacies. I was pleased to hear the governor of Q Roo contributed his private helicopter to the search and tried to make up for national inadequacies out of his control as best he could.

I apologize for this rant but if Cameron isn't rescued something positive needs to come of this that can save the lives of others who could be lost and floating at sea.

I don't know who you are using as a source and the only thing I will say is it is extremely disappointing to see comments here that lambast the reaction of the Mexican government when you don't live here and you are not relying on SAR officials and the ANOAAT here in Cozumel for your information. I keep seeing the same misinformation repeated here and it's disappointing to see this take on a life of its own in this group, which is usually very supportive. I would ask that you wait until you hear officially about the response to this emergency and review actual facts. As far as your "cruise ship sinking” analogy, that's preposterous.

I have lived here in Cozumel permanently for over 7 years, mostly full time for 11 and have been an avid diver here for 26 years. I remember vividly the search response that went out in 2012, when 9 of my friends were missing from a small boat that sank in the middle of the channel. Thank God they had time to get a distress call out. The Port Authority, the Navy and many other vessels in the area reacted strongly and swiftly. All 9 souls were rescued after being in the water in a very swift moving current, for over 6 hours. My point is, you need to wait to hear reports of when the official call was reported to the Harbor Master and SAR and please stop making false accusations. I ask that you try and abate your anger and frustration somewhere other than on the authorities who are diligently working to obtain the entire story and the facts. It's easy to get frustrated from thousands of miles away and not having access to the resources we have here. Do keep in mind that there’s been a massive Search and Rescue operation taking place, and most likely challenging to collect information on the events. Obviously, there are officials doing this and there is a full investigation underway by Mexican authorities and ANOAAT. I ask that the Admins please leave my post up and allow time for officials in Cozumel to release a report. I would expect that they would not want to see misinformation perpetuated on these pages. Thank you.

Well said Jen, this seems to be an ongoing issue, not only here, but on another board as well. Positivity will work wonders, that's a proven, negativity won't work at all, and is very counter productive. Its very obvious to the rest of us, that they do the best they can, with the resources they have.

I don't know who you are using as a source and the only thing I will say is it is extremely disappointing to see comments here that lambast the reaction of the Mexican government when you don't live here and you are not relying on SAR officials and the ANOAAT here in Cozumel for your information. I keep seeing the same misinformation repeated here and it's disappointing to see this take on a life of its own in this group, which is usually very supportive. I would ask that you wait until you hear officially about the response to this emergency and review actual facts. As far as your "cruise ship sinking” analogy, that's preposterous.

I have lived here in Cozumel permanently for over 7 years, mostly full time for 11 and have been an avid diver here for 26 years. I remember vividly the search response that went out in 2012, when 9 of my friends were missing from a small boat that sank in the middle of the channel. Thank God they had time to get a distress call out. The Port Authority, the Navy and many other vessels in the area reacted strongly and swiftly. All 9 souls were rescued after being in the water in a very swift moving current, for over 6 hours. My point is, you need to wait to hear reports of when the official call was reported to the Harbor Master and SAR and please stop making false accusations. I ask that you try and abate your anger and frustration somewhere other than on the authorities who are diligently working to obtain the entire story and the facts. It's easy to get frustrated from thousands of miles away and not having access to the resources we have here. Do keep in mind that there’s been a massive Search and Rescue operation taking place, and most likely challenging to collect information on the events. Obviously, there are officials doing this and there is a full investigation underway by Mexican authorities and ANOAAT. I ask that the Admins please leave my post up and allow time for officials in Cozumel to release a report. I would expect that they would not want to see misinformation perpetuated on these pages. Thank you.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that no search was implemented only that air support was lacking for 24 hours or so. We have come to this conclusion because Henry told us so on Sunday.

Here's an excerpt from his lengthy post:

"Mexican Search and Rescue has expanded their search area into Puerto Morelas, but as of now they have not launched any airsupport. The information we arebeing provided is they do not have any pilots. This is troubling and confusing, but I digress."

Thank you for this
Just wanted to highlight the time it took to find those 9 people even though their location was far more precise. Finding a soccer ball in the ocean is a huge challenge even with the best of resources.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that no search was implemented only that air support was lacking for 24 hours or so. We have come to this conclusion because Henry told us so on Sunday.

Here's an excerpt from his lengthy post:

"Mexican Search and Rescue has expanded their search area into Puerto Morelas, but as of now they have not launched any airsupport. The information we arebeing provided is they do not have any pilots. This is troubling and confusing, but I digress."

Which is a big issue and we have every right to be concerned about it. If true, every hour that goes by increases a search area exponentially. 24 hours is unacceptable, IMO.

Which is a big issue and we have every right to be concerned about it. If true, every hour that goes by increases a search area exponentially. 24 hours is unacceptable, IMO.
Agreed, should be concerned. In the middle of an SAR is not the time, nor place. Perhaps those concerns would be better sent, elsewhere, i.e. the Mexican authorities, or whoever foreigners express concerns to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom