Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few contacts at NAS Key West. I may have to go down there in person, but I'll see if I can call in a couple markers.

If training flights are over water, they may as well be in waters Cameron could be in. Same with naval assets in the area.

Update: The air search has been suspended for the evening with no signs of Cameron. I’m told the search will begin again at sunrise.

Do any of the SAR folks know if procedure in these cases includes notifying the cruise ships and other mariners? There's a lot of ships out there with people standing watch on the bridge all night long.

IMG_4479.jpeg
IMG_4467.jpeg
IMG_4487.jpeg
e7e15990-5f18-41ef-97a8-af7f08951721.jpg
IMG_4434.jpg
IMG_3191.jpeg

Attachments

• 85b45aa7-eb91-4dd7-8160-4826a9ff1f03.jpg
    85b45aa7-eb91-4dd7-8160-4826a9ff1f03.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 52
Update: The air search has been suspended for the evening with no signs of Cameron. I’m told the search will begin again at sunrise.

We have had divers in the water to 80-100 feet for a fair portion of the wall and found nothing, but we can use some CCR divers willing to make a 50 meter extended dive. It’s very unlikely Cameron is down there, but we should rule it out. If anyone has these skills, please contact us.

At this point the search is obviously well outside the Cozumel area, too. We need all the eyes in the sky we can get. If anyone knows any private pilots / planes in Cuba, Cancun, Houston, and Tampa / Miami please let them know we need their assistance.

A number of years ago I had friends lost off the coast of Utila, Honduras. Four days later they were found alive and well near the Florida Keys. So I fully believe we have time and will rescue our friend.

Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop. I've been sharing all of the info/updates via our dive club's social media (NYC Sea Gypsies) & a CCR diver from our club in Cozumel right now just said she & her friends are willing to help with deep dives. I'm sending her over your way.

Side note: I created a hashtag to use across all social media to help publicize this more: #FindCameronDonaldson Anyone can use it along with the GoFundMe page, or to help find CCR divers or pilots.

I'm gonna make some calls to friends at Hurlburt, MacDill, and Tyndall. I don't know that it will help, but it can't hurt.

If training flights are over water, they may as well be in waters Cameron could be in. Same with naval assets in the area.

Agree. Most of my military pilot friends fly on their own time as well. Training flights down that way are almost always over water. I'm waiting on a couple of responses and have a flight booked for the morning to see what I can dig up in person. Sometimes getting in someone's face gets results. Wish I could do more. I would trade places with Cameron in an instant. He's a man this world needs.

Do any of the SAR folks know if procedure in these cases includes notifying the cruise ships and other mariners? There's a lot of ships out there with people standing watch on the bridge all night long.

General alerts usually come out via US Coast Guard in waters close to the US... not sure about other countries. First step would be to notify the USCG that based on currents, he may be headed toward the central gulf/Florida Keys area. I would hope Mexican authorities would have done this, but it would not hurt for someone in contact with them to double check.

Like RayromTx, Cam, Bonnie and I bonded like family.
I am the diver in post #107.
This was the day we bought new wet suits and dived in the same area.
Cam usually wears an older henderson 3 mil with the newer 3 mil over it and a beanie, but not 100% sure what he was wearing.
They have dived in this area 100's of times over the last few years.
These are tech dives and usually end with 30 to 45 minutes of deco.
Cam will sometimes drop deeper and then regroup after a few minutes. Often to hunt lionfish, but I am not sure if he had a spear with him.
I pray the search planes locate him in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom