Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seaquest BlackDiamond

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Aqua Lung Patriot

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space once bubbled...

Not true mine has a bottom dump and so does my buddies which is last years model.

I'm sorry... I was unclear on that one.

The Balance has ONE bottom dump... On the right hand side, if I recall. The Black Diamond has two... One on each side.

I personally prefer one to two... But only if the wing is of the "O" design. With a "U" shaped design, having only one bottom dump means that if you are horizontal or inverted and go to dump, you can only dump the air from one of the wings... You have to go vertical to get the rest of the air out. Having a dump on each wing (like the Black Diamond) enables you to dump from both sides of the wing and more effectively get all of the air out.

...Which is why I personally prefer an "O" shaped wing... Because I only have to have one bottom dump, yet I can still get all of the air out of just one side.

This is especially useful if your hands are full of lights, reels, artifacts, or whatever (handling your buddy's OOA?) and you only have one hand to spare.

Speaking of bottom dumps, I have found the Halcyon bottom dump to be of particular great design... Unlike most BC's, their singles wing is of an "O" shaped design (as is the Scubapro Knighthawk, come to think of it)... And with only one bottom dump on the LEFT side... Opposite of most BC's. Why the left side? Well... Because an OOA is handled almost exclusively with the right hand... So it's the left hand that's available. It also allows you to control both your inflation and deflation (no matter whether you use the top or bottom dump) with only one hand... The left one.

...Which is why people are recommending having your gauges on your right wrist... So that during your ascent, you can be simultaneously dumping (or adding), and looking at your gauges, no matter what position you are in.

That's what the DIR guys are calling a "holistic" system... And that's why they are saying that it's "all or nothing" and that it's a bad idea to "pick and choose." One thing sorta leads to another, and it's the whole system that supports itself, not just a few individual items.

...But I am not plugging DIR... And I am not saying that anyone should dive any certain way. I'm simply pointing out that train of thought and why those guys dive like they do.

...And why I chose the BC that I chose.

YMMV.

I am thinking of purchasing this bc. I would appreciate any opinions you can offer me. I originally was contamplating between the raider; patriot; and the black diamond. The raider seemed a bit too much and to be honest the diamond just looked cooler than the patriot. Any information is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Mike

Hello,

The blackdiamond is on the navy's ANU list and it is used by the navy. I have used one for several years with great results. I esp like the weight distribution.

Ed

I used the black diamond for roughly 2 years, and found it to be an outstanding bc. It adds very little positive buoyancy when fully deflated and the weight pockets are about the best I've seen. I've seen the Raider and agree it's a bit too much- more bulky and more expensive, and doesn't offer any advantage over the BD.

One point worth noting- the BD is not really a "technical" bc- you can't use it for doubles, and mounting a cannister light might be a bit tricky. Also, as with all conventional bc's, the D-rings are fixed which for me was a problem as I found the shoulder rings sitting too high. Because at some point I plan to dive doubles, I actually sold my BD for a BP and Wings setup. For me, the greatest benefit was better fit. Price was about the same.

Thanks for all the info. I wish there was not so many darn choices out there. Its so hard to just choose one. Wish I had the money to buy all of them. lol.

I had a Sea Quest Raider a couple of months back. Its a nice comfy piece of equipment but it is very bulky. I really doubt you could go wrong with any of those. Personally I decided to seel my Raider after only diving it a pull and I bought a Deep Outdoors Matrix. If you get a Sea Quest make sure it has the new weight pockets and not the velcro ones.

I have been diving with my black diamond for 5 years with double hp 100's I really like it and have had no problems with it.

I did not know the black diamond could be used with doubles? I not sure if I should start a new thread for this but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about the patriot. It cost almost half as much as the black diamond ($340 patriot $500 black diamond on lp) and as far as i was told both are decent BCD's. Any opinions are welcome.

thanks

Mike

Back
Top Bottom