Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seaquest BlackDiamond

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Aqua Lung Patriot

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving the Black diamond for about 6 years. It is a VERY good BC. It is considered one of the first modern "tech" BCs, but since it's inception it has become outdated in the tech diving community. I currently dive with three BCs and find my black diamond an excellent BC for recreational diving in an open enviroment. Once familiar with the fixed D-rings they become perfect tools for the recreational diver. In the past, fitting of the Black Diamond was very importent before purchase because of the oversizing. If you are new to diving (<100 dives) this is a good starting and learning BC, it is very adjustable as well as comfortable, but if you progress higher into the so called technical diving you will out grow this BC as well as most of your current equipment. So go for it and get the Black Diamond it is a great BC. As for doubles mounting on this BC it can be done but the BC doesn't have the support for the weight of the doubles. If you plan on doubles you should have a seperate BC designed for this, A backplate with wings. But thats a whole different story which only about 10% recreational divers will explore.

Hello fellow divers,

My question is, does anyone own a black diamond that dives doubles???

I own one and am thinking about hooking al80s to it. I am also looking into bp/w I have dove one and loved it the fit was much more like the tanks it coming out of my back than just flopping around. I know my bc is drilled out for what i think is a doubles set up. I saw somewhere on this board that some do and some do not. Just would like some other opions.

can not wait for my bp/w though......

I don't own a black diamond however, I knew a guy that did. He used to dive doubles (independant AL 80s) regularly with the BD. I watched him do the set up on a dive boat and it was quite the undertaking even though he had done it countless times. When he finally had the money he quickly opted for a BP/wings.

The Black Diamond has been around for at least 8 years, and has been a top seller ever since. However, 8 years ago there weren't too many BCD's (excluding backplates) that could accomodate doubles. When Dive Rite released the Transpac anyone who wanted to migrate to a set of doubles from a single would use that product instead. Greater flexibility with wing sizes and bolting method to doubles.

Just my .02 cents worth.

has anyone done this i know this is bp/w thread but i have a black diamond and was thinking about using it for al 80's doubles for a bit till i found a bp/w that i like...also their is a guy for our scubaboard that cuts his own out (bp) a buddy of mine got one from him and it is great.... does anyone no who he is???

You're probably thinking of FredT who makes and sells high quality backplates. PM him for more info.

FredT makes great plates of different sizes and weight and all other stuff you need to go along with it.

No silly rabbit... now go get yourself a real BC!!!

<laff>

Sorry man... Had to razz you - I like your Black Diamond.
I have no idea if you can or can't...

but here's the plate I got, and it is pretty nice. If you want to try a BP, I can let you use an aluminum Dive Rite plate I have next time we get together. Hell, You can try my new SS one for all I care. I never go anywhere without a spare BC anyway, so I'll use one of them and you can try out the new hotness while I dive the old and busted!

http://www.swmetalproducts.com/hhbp1.asp

Appears to be laser cut, but the edges are sharp. Not enough to cut, but I think wear on the straps may come into play later on. Nothing a hardened file can't fix though. Also, I have tried my huge DiveRite Wings, as well as my Halcyon Pioneer, and the Mounting holes are just a tad low to mount the halcyon wing to the BP with SS Bolts and use the slots for the Cam Straps. It can be done, because I did it, but it doesn't automatically line up. You have to put one bolt in, and then pull, stretch, grin, make funny noises, and sacrifice a small furry animal to get the other one in.

"Some" people burn a hole through the strap as it comes across this area for the top bolt to go through, but since I haven't had a chance to get wet with the pioneer (our Hollywood dive was supposed to be my "wet run" with it) I didn't want to start burning holes in places that I may not want them yet.

I've been told you don't need the bolts to hold the wing on, but it just seems a little more secure, no twisting of the tank like I have with only the cam straps holding the wing on. It's probably just me, but if it is me, then it's not likely to change any time soon, since I've been me for quite some time :)

Check the thread here...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=30888&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show

I own a Black Diamond and it looks like it would be a real PITA to put doubles on it, the spacing on the holes in the plastic plate is not 11" , which is the standard spacing for the bands on doubles.

Also the wing is setup for single's, and the tanks would most likely interfere with inflation of the wing.

I recomend a BP and wing, I dive a Halcyon most of the time and use a OMS redundant bladder wing with doubles.

1 question though, why bother with double AL 80's?

When I dive doubles it is either HP 120's or LP 125's, that way I am getting with the HP 120's 240 cu ft of gas and with the LP's I am getting 330 cu ft of gas.

With double al 80's you are getting about 155 cu ft of gas @ 3000 psi.

With a single LP 125 Filled to 3500 psi I am getting 165 cu ft of gas, and with an H valve I am getting pretty much the same redudancy as doubles, with the only exception of a neck o ring failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom