seam sealer recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kzx0357

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Both my new Neosport 3 mm and Hyperstretch 5/7 mm wetsuits give me contact dermatitis wherever my skin contacts the wetsuit seams. I'm assuming that the glue in the seam is the culprit. I am considering sealing the seams on the inside with something and wondered if anyone else has done this to help with contact dermatitis or otherwise has recommendations. I'm leaning towards tent seam sealer which is a polyurethane and stays pretty flexible. Interestingly this is the first dermatitis issue I've had with wetsuits in over 30 years of diving.

Leisure Pro sells something called AquaSeal. I have used it to repair a tear in my Henderson with good results. It is made to be used on neoprene. Aquaseal Waterproofing Products - Waterproofing, conditioning, cleaning for shoes, boots, gloves, athletic shoes, black leather; the ultimate care product(s) for footwear Do you know what you are alergic to? You could contact AquaSeal directly to see which product might work best for you. You might also contact Henderson to see what they used and make sure what it apply isn't more of the same. Good luck!

Before you get too crazy with the glue, maybe you should try diving your wetsuit inside out to make sure it is indeed the glue that is irritating you.

I got a rash from a little bit of glue that was stuck to my latex neck seal- it was just in one spot and the rash went away after I removed the glue. I don't think this will work in your case :D

Have you considered gluing something over it, perhaps a thin layer of fabric or neoprene? Or maybe wearing a lycra skin?

Aquaseal does not have much stretch to it and it is pretty hard and would probably physically iritate in a wet suit - not a great choice for what you propose.

My advice is to try a dive skin between you and the suit.

Both my new Neosport 3 mm and Hyperstretch 5/7 mm wetsuits give me contact dermatitis wherever my skin contacts the wetsuit seams. I'm assuming that the glue in the seam is the culprit. I am considering sealing the seams on the inside with something and wondered if anyone else has done this to help with contact dermatitis or otherwise has recommendations. I'm leaning towards tent seam sealer which is a polyurethane and stays pretty flexible. Interestingly this is the first dermatitis issue I've had with wetsuits in over 30 years of diving.

A skin is most likely the way to go, but if you want to cover the seams I'd suggest melco tape.

You will need a tacking iron (~$125) and the tape.

look here, scroll down the page Manufacturers Information

Tobin

Thanks for the thoughts gang! I think step 1 will be to wash the dang things with some general purpose laundry soap in case it's related to "newness"; step 2 will be to try a skin underneath (this should be easy with the hyperstretch, I'm skeptical about getting into the Neosport with a skin on); after that we'll see. Guess, after reading the above, that I'm down to either taping the seams or getting some honest-to-goodness stretchy silicone polymer (2 part) and using that as a seam sealer (I'm not sure that it's available commercially, but I can probably get some ....). Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom