Seals or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen threads on the trilam v. neoprene debate, and on the this brand of seal v. that brand of seal debate, but my question is basically whether it's worth the money to get wrist and neck seals at all. I understand that if money were no object, then seals, and a P valve, and perhaps gold thread would all be good. But money is an object. So, how sensitive is latex? Is it so likely to degrade or tear that seals are nearly necessary, or is it just an expensive convenience. How many drysuit diver get neck and wrist seals? Can dry suits be retrofitted later?

Subsequent edit: Oops, I was really unclear. I meant the systems that allow immediate replacement of seals. I know the seals themselves are important

By "seals" do you mean field-replaceable silicon seals versus glued-on Latex seals?

Yeah, I have to believe that's the question, since a drysuit with no "wrist and neck seals at all" wouldn't keep the water out at all. I think having seals of some type to keep the water out is the definition of drysuit!

Get the replaceable silicone ones. I’ve seen a dive trip ruined by a ripped neck seal on a Lake Huron dive trip. Guy missed one whole day of diving and ended up in an ill fitting wetsuit for second day of trip and froze his arse off.

Yeah, I have to believe that's the question, since a drysuit with no "wrist and neck seals at all" wouldn't keep the water out at all. I think having seals of some type to keep the water out is the definition of drysuit!

Drysuits with permanently attached gloves and a dryhood without neck seal are quite popular among cold water divers in certain parts of the world. So it is possible to get a drysuit without neck or wrist seals. I recently got one for the winter and it has certain advantages.

Is it so likely to degrade or tear that seals are nearly necessary, or is it just an expensive convenience. How many drysuit diver get neck and wrist seals? Can dry suits be retrofitted later?

My other suit is a Santi with Smart rings for silicone wrist seals or drygloves and a Quickneck ring for silicone neck seal.
I recommend getting rings for self replaceable silicone seals. Seals will eventually tear and you end up losing dives unless you can field replace them.

Sorry, I was unclear. I did mean the rings that allow immediate replacement of seals, either latex or silicone.

Drysuits with permanently attached gloves and a dryhood without neck seal are quite popular among cold water divers in certain parts of the world. So it is possible to get a drysuit without neck or wrist seals. I recently got one for the winter and it has certain advantages.

You got me! I am showing my American-centric view of the diving world.

As for seals, I find Silicon seals much more comfortable, stretchy, tougher, and effective than Latex. The rings are relatively annoying but, IMHO, are a small price to pay for the ability to replace them in the field.

You are not going to be installing any silicone unless you have some sort of rings. That might be making your question a mute point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom