SeaLife DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pictures look good. Must have been nice diving with the Manatees. I assume you had these on the wide angle setting?

Yes but I am still hoping for sharper pix

Try using the auto focus, I've found that it works better for most subjects. Fast moving fish would be the exception as there is increased shutter lag. You also need to get really close to have very sharp pictures which may not be possible with a subject the size of a Manatee and would greatly depend on the water clarity. To some extent you are limited by the equipment, a dslr with a fish eye lens would be able to capture really crisp pictures in those conditions but then again you would be looking at a $3-4K or more set up to do that.

Try using the auto focus, I've found that it works better for most subjects. Fast moving fish would be the exception as there is increased shutter lag. You also need to get really close to have very sharp pictures which may not be possible with a subject the size of a Manatee and would greatly depend on the water clarity. To some extent you are limited by the equipment, a dslr with a fish eye lens would be able to capture really crisp pictures in those conditions but then again you would be looking at a $3-4K or more set up to do that.

Thnx I will try that, what setting do you like for the flash?

If you are using the built in flash I would leave it in sea mode which keeps it turned off. If you have an external flash you would want to use one of those modes depending on which model you have. I used to have the old digital flash with the flash intensity dial on the flash. I had good results with that, you just have to keep in mind that the flash won't go any farther than 3-4 feet in most conditions and you may need to adjust the flash intensity depending on the shot, how close you are, how reflective the subject is, direction of the flash, and others. After a while and some experimenting you kind of get the hang of setting it and get good exposures in one or two shots. In shallow water you won't need any flash just sea mode. The built in flash can be used for some close up work but backscatter will be a problem unless the water is crystal clear and if you are too close the flash will be shadowed by the lens protrusion. The internal flash would not be usefull for something like a manatee.

I recently got a DC800 after flooding my 600 - the 800 is a great improvement! Lots more settings - I especially like the different sea settings (lakes & rivers, etc.). Makes a huge difference in the quality of the pictures by being able to adjust the setting for the type of water you are in. The housing for the 800 is also much better - the shutter button is much easier to use, even with gloves on.

Hi all. New to s.b. Just upgraded from dc310 to dc800. Thanks for all the info and tips. I got some great pics with the 310, but had some problems with too much flash for some pics. Hopefully the auto flash on the 800 will help. Will try it out in cozumel for mardi gras.

Hello all,

I just got my DC800 and am testing it out. I'm somewhat disappointed by the quality of the photos taken inside without the case/external flash. - they seem grainy compared to the same photos taken with my old 3MP Cannon Point and Shoot.

In particular, it looks blurry/grainy around the edges. Not sure if this is normal, due to wide angle lens or not. I'm usually an SLR user, but the cost of a good SLR housing, was way over my budget.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kristine

Last edited:
I just received mine yesterday and so far I am very happy with it. It is getting broken in underwater this weekend!

Hello all,

I just got my DC800 and am testing it out. I'm somewhat disappointed by the quality of the photos taken inside without the case/external flash. - they seem grainy compared to the same photos taken with my old 3MP Cannon Point and Shoot.

In particular, it looks blurry/grainy around the edges. Not sure if this is normal, due to wide angle lens or not. I'm usually an SLR user, but the cost of a good SLR housing, was way over my budget.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kristine
Kristine, you can send your problematic photos to sealife customer service. Embedded in the jpg of your photo is key info they can use to diagnose your problem. Try that and see. Most of us have had great success with the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom