seacure moldable mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You keep mentioning the length as a problem. I have never had anyone mention it to me, for any reason. ( I did do like seacure suggests , if needed , and trimmed off and rounded the ends because they were too long for me.) ... You can still see a difference in the leangth of my secure mouthpiece and a regular one but again, no one has commented on it and it is the one I donate in an OOA

DB

I have one and I've used it for about 8 years. I love it. It's trimmed to fit my mouth but I've never had a problem with other divers. I used it during my DM training and nobody had a problem. It doesn't affect the way the regulator works so why should it be a problem for another diver? Trust me, someone out of air will get it into their mouth. One thing I really like about the Sea Cure is that it fits all the way back to my molars and when I'm taking students on tours and they are swimming with their hands (no matter how many times I tell them) they hook my hose but don't yank the reg out of my mouth.

I take mine off the reg now and then and soak it in a solution of bleach and warm water and brush it with an old tooth brush to keep it clean and sterile. I then risnse it and re-install it. It's really a good value when you consider I've never had to buy another $5 mouthpiece in years. I use a traditonal one on my octo.

I have a few Seacure #1 & #3's left from stock I bought from a dive shop closing down will sell for $20.00 each
P.M. for details.

peterbkk:
I still see this as a drawback of the Seacure and similar mouthpieces. In the only out-of-air situation that I have been involved in, the person (not my buddy) had swam more than 5 meters to get to me and went straight for the reg in my mouth (easy to find, know it is working, etc). He was on the verge of panic. I suspect that'll happen in many similar situations.

If he then had trouble getting the reg into his mouth because the unusual longer mouthpiece, this could be the final straw to trigger the panic.

Regards
Peter
I know of an incident where a diver had an OOA situation and her buddy was using a SeaCure. Her buddy's Octo was integrated into his BC hose. She was about 5 ft tall, he 6'2". She couldn't get the SeaCure in her mouth without gagging. She was however, able to depress the button on the reg and get air without putting into her mouth. SHe then handed his reg with the Seacure back to him, and took his Octo. Then they ascended together. Later that same day, he was in the LDS buying a new Octo and getting rid of his integrated one.
All my dive buddies know I have a Seacure, and know I have to hand off my Octo in an emergency. Like any other customization of your equipment, you should discuss it with your buddy prior to the dive so they know how to deal with it.
C-Dawg

I still see this as a drawback of the Seacure and similar mouthpieces. In the only out-of-air situation that I have been involved in, the person (not my buddy) had swam more than 5 meters to get to me and went straight for the reg in my mouth (easy to find, know it is working, etc). He was on the verge of panic. I suspect that'll happen in many similar situations.

If he then had trouble getting the reg into his mouth because the unusual longer mouthpiece, this could be the final straw to trigger the panic.

Having witnessed and assisted my first panic diver, this is a facet that I hadn't realized, but will carefully consider. I have integrated octo on the inflator, so in case of OOA, I would be giving the primary.. and frankly, it's exactly what I did for the panic OOA situation I encountered. Fortunately, an AI took over and helped the panicked diver.. but still, the panicked diver spat out the reg and what not... just like a panicked diver is supposed to do. And this was all at around 100ft.

Anyhow, a normal octo is hard enough, I wouldn't want to take risks. That panicked diver at 100ft depth could have been in serious conditions if he gagged and took a full breath of sea water. So far, my plan is to have the integrated octo on the BC inflator, but also have an Octo. That way, I can take out the Octo if I definitely don't want it, but still have it there by default for emergency.

I dunno, seens like the OOA situation really stuck in my head since it happened so "in my face". I totally agree with what you mean by "the final straw to trigger the panic".

But still, I would want the Seacure on the primary.

I have a seacure on my primary and an integrated air for my second. I would not trade my secaure and the comfort it provides just because one day I might have to provide my reg for an OOA diver. First, unless you only dive with one buddy for the rest of your life then it is useless to discuss this with every buddy. Secondly, the most important feature on a regulator is ease of breathing, not whether it will gag somebody else in an OOA situation. If you have an OOA situation that then you will be heading to the surface anyway. The other person can hold the regulator in their mouth part way and push the purge when they need to breath, if it gags them.

I got headaches on my second dives and needed a better mouthpiece and the seacure was it. I would expect anybody that I dive with to put their comfort and ease of breathing ahead of mine. I would gladly hold their regulator part way in my mouth and push the purge when I needed to breathe, if I was the OOA diver and gagged with their mouthpiece all the way in. More likely than not I probably should have been paying better attention to my gauges if I ever end up OOA.

heh, got me a seacure for 27.99 today. Will be trying it out tomorrow. So far, the molding process and everything's been a breeze. It just feels so wierd having the mouthpiece fit so well! Or actually, "fit" isn't the word.. it sort of sticks in my mouth, and becomes a part of it. Amazing. My wife's gotta get one too.

Kensuguro - Only problem I have had with them is going back to a regular mouth piece. These tend to be somewhat habit forming.

Regarding OOA -unless you want to give it up, it can be really hard to just pull you regulator out, so I would suspect the concern is more for you to remember, that the OOA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom