seacure moldable mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuguro:
I did a search and I realize it's come up here and there before, but wanted to get some opinions in one place. I have problems with the default aqualung mouthpiece (with a bridge thing that runs accross the center) and so was thinking of switching to the defacto-standard "cheap" mouthpiece. Then I came accross the seacure moldable, and at just below $7, I'm thinking of giving them a try. I wouldn't mind making a bad purchase since it's not costing me an arm.. but would like to hear opinions and some fun war stories while I'm at it. :)

So how does the seacure thing work? I read it becomes moldable when you put it in hot water... so what the hell is this stuff? Is it durable and most importantly, reliable?
I used to go thru 3 mouthpieces a year, because I'd wear the tabs off them. I bought a SeaCure about 4 years ago and its one of the best purchases I've made. It is durable, as I'm still using the first one I bought, and is much more comfortable. It's well worth the money.
It's made of the same material as athlete's mouthpieces, so if you've ever played sports, you know what I mean. Not sure what you mean by reliable, but I love mine.
C-Dawg

ya, by reliable I meant like sturdy, fail safe.. from all the raving, I guess it's nothing I should worry about. Definitely high on my must buy list.

kensuguro:
ya, by reliable I meant like sturdy, fail safe.. from all the raving, I guess it's nothing I should worry about. Definitely high on my must buy list.

Yep, put it on your must buy list. Had mine for 2 years, never had a problem with it. Had the same problem with my Aqua lung mouth piece. Will never go back to ready made ones again.

So how does the seacure thing work? I read it becomes moldable when you put it in hot water... so what the hell is this stuff? Is it durable and most importantly, reliable?[/QUOTE]

I have had mine almost 2 years and the only problem I had was when I went through rescue class and had to give my rescue dummy my moulded mouthpiece. Uh- it is molded for my mouth not his. I love it because you don't have to bite down on it. It just fits right in your mouth and your jaws don't get sore. I had a problem with my teeth hurting and jaws getting tired before I started using the mouthpiece. I wouldn't change it. It isn't wearing through either (like the standard one's do).

Melissa

[QUOTE ] I have had mine almost 2 years and the only problem I had was when I went through rescue class and had to give my rescue dummy my moulded mouthpiece. Uh- it is molded for my mouth not his. I love it because you don't have to bite down on it. It just fits right in your mouth and your jaws don't get sore. I had a problem with my teeth hurting and jaws getting tired before I started using the mouthpiece. I wouldn't change it. It isn't wearing through either (like the standard one's do).
Melissa[/QUOTE]

We discussed this issue on another thread. If you use a SeaCure, you shouldn't use an Octo intergrated into your BC hose, as in an out of air situation, you''ll have to pass off your Octo, not your primary regulator.
C-Dawg

The Sea-Cure is quite durable.

The one I have on my primary has been on it for over 5 years.

With respect to the proprietary fit of the mouthpiece - I've done numerous hand-offs of my primary regulator in training scenarios and no diver has ever had an issue with being able to use the regulator because of size or fit.

I dare say that should a diver encounter a actual OOA situation s/he could probably fit an innertube into the mouth in order to get some air.

the K

The Kraken:
With respect to the proprietary fit of the mouthpiece - I've done numerous hand-offs of my primary regulator in training scenarios and no diver has ever had an issue with being able to use the regulator because of size or fit.

I dare say that should a diver encounter a actual OOA situation s/he could probably fit an innertube into the mouth in order to get some air.

My DM classmates whined about mine, but also gladly took it during the drills. I've used it in OW classes and the students don't have a problem, even a little girl yesterday - and I'd guess she'd be the greatest size difference I'd probably experience.

They are trimmable - i.e. you can snip or dremel off the ends to shorten them (I have not), but only come in sizes based on regulator brand.

I believe Larry at Scubatoys put it best when I complained about the price for a pony rig I was - eyeballing "I'll bet I could get $10,000 from you at 100 fsw for this if you were OOA"

Not giving mine up anytime soon - no matter what the DIR folks say.

Back to CSSP

Vtdiver2:
We discussed this issue on another thread. If you use a SeaCure, you shouldn't use an Octo intergrated into your BC hose, as in an out of air situation, you''ll have to pass off your Octo, not your primary regulator.
C-Dawg

As far as I'm concerned any air source you have should be useable by others you dive with. IME, a secure usually isn't much of a problem because being molded to one divers mouth doesn't make it unusable by some one else. However, I have seen divers who fit them so large or long that the mouthpiece couldn't be used by one or more of the people they were diving with. I think it's something that should be watched for and avoided.

I have an Aqualung Legend and like the mouthpiece. I have read that some people have better luck with re-attaching that mouthpiece so it is "Upside Down" (i.e, 180 degrees turned). Give it a try to see how you like it.

That being said, I recently got a Scubapro Reg, and despite its wide popularity, find their mouthpieces not to my liking, and by the middle of a second dive of the day feeling that I could not carry on any longer due to severejaw fatigue.

Got the SeaCure for that rig and NO PROBLEMS with fatigue diving 3 or more dives a day.

So try the inversion of the current aqualung mouthpiece and see how that works...cost: 1 ziptie. Otherwise even though the Seacure is 25-32 bucks, it is a small price to pay for durable comfort for several years to come!

Scubamax

MUST BUY!
I have an upper plate and suffered jaw fatigue all the time. I always
blamed the stiff hose. In the Keys a few years ago I bit through my
mouth piece, I purchased a Sea Cure and the jaw fatigue disappeared.
Take your time on the trimming and fitting, they can be re-adjusted at
a lator date, but get it right the first time. I had a couple of go's at it
in the hotel room that night getting it right, but it has performed well over
the last three years without any adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom