seacure moldable mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuguro:
sounds good. it says $6.99 on my diver's direct catalogue. (diver's direct is in the keys) I just checked their website.. the website says $27.99. Oh well, it may be a misprint. quite a difference there. But it sounds like a good idea. It's a no brainer at $7, but I'd re-think it for $27.99.

I just bought 3 pieces of Seacure#1 at a clearance for $14.99 each ! I believe I have cleared out the stock. However if you are interested, I can check if there are some more. PM me if you want me to check and if there are some more available I send you the vendor contact.

I like mine , even at $32 , as has been stated, you don't have to bite it, it just stays in your mouth naturally.
One thing, remember that when your molding it to your teeth, do not bite down too far, I ended up with my front teeth almost touching , not good for breathing well ... bought another one , even still, best return on my money yet

DB

Vtdiver2:
We discussed this issue on another thread. If you use a SeaCure, you shouldn't use an Octo intergrated into your BC hose, as in an out of air situation, you''ll have to pass off your Octo, not your primary regulator.
C-Dawg

My dive buddy is my hubby and we are the same on air. I dive for fun. Diving is not my job so for now I will not get an octo. I have absolutely no plans on making a career out of diving either. We usually dive by ourselves or with another couple and they are the same with their air consumption. I know what you are saying about the octo. I still recommend the seacure mouthpiece to anyone. Once we move, depending on our diving situation I might have to get an octo, but for now I will not get one. So far I haven't seen an OOA situation--knock on wood. Happy diving.
Melissa

ch0ppersrule:
My dive buddy is my hubby and we are the same on air. I dive for fun. Diving is not my job so for now I will not get an octo. I have absolutely no plans on making a career out of diving either. We usually dive by ourselves or with another couple and they are the same with their air consumption. I know what you are saying about the octo. I still recommend the seacure mouthpiece to anyone. Once we move, depending on our diving situation I might have to get an octo, but for now I will not get one. So far I haven't seen an OOA situation--knock on wood. Happy diving.
Melissa

Are you saying you dive with no alternate air source, just a first stage and single second stage? What if your husband runs OOA? Buddy breathing?

Hate the Seacure. Gag me! Yuk!

Anyone want to buy a Seacure from me? Cheap. Never used.

My favorite is the Apeks Comfo Bite mouthpiece.

mattboy:
Are you saying you dive with no alternate air source, just a first stage and single second stage? What if your husband runs OOA? Buddy breathing?

I have my regulator and an air2. I am not worried about the hubby running out of air. Majority of our dives are 40ft. or less. Like I said, we are equal on air. We always check our gauges and know our limits. I have never had reason to be concerned. We also have never ended a dive with less than 400psi left in our tanks, most of the dives we end up with 600+ psi left. Our dives are shore dives also.
Melissa

Vtdiver2:
We discussed this issue on another thread. If you use a SeaCure, you shouldn't use an Octo intergrated into your BC hose, as in an out of air situation, you''ll have to pass off your Octo, not your primary regulator.

I still see this as a drawback of the Seacure and similar mouthpieces. In the only out-of-air situation that I have been involved in, the person (not my buddy) had swam more than 5 meters to get to me and went straight for the reg in my mouth (easy to find, know it is working, etc). He was on the verge of panic. I suspect that'll happen in many similar situations.

If he then had trouble getting the reg into his mouth because the unusual longer mouthpiece, this could be the final straw to trigger the panic.

Regards
Peter

All things are possible. However, the PROBABILITY that the above mentioned scenario will occur is so small that it certainly doesn't outweigh the comfort and security conditions provided a diver by the use of a custom mouthpiece.

Remember that one can also, if necessary, fall back on sipping air from a regulator much like doing the free flowing regulator drill that one was taught in the basic open water course.

Please keep in mind, too, that the author of the post never indicated that he is donating his primary second stage regulator in an OOA situation. Since the author does not indicate that he is donating his primary, then it can be logically deduced that he is donating a secondary air source. Following the logic that a seconday air source is being donated the one can follow the train of logic and reasonably deduce, with a very high degree of probability, that a standard mouthpiece is attached to the alternate air source.

the K

Yes, I realize that it is only a slight probability that a larger molded mouthpiece will cause a further escalation of issues in an out-of-air situation. But it could...

I am not sure what all the different egencies are teaching these days, but, in my humble opinion, the best reg to offer to an out-of-air diver will always be the one in the mouth of the donor. It is the easiest to find, the one that contains the least water and the one that is clearly working. And, in a case of an out-of-air diver approaching seen or unseen (e.g. from behind), it is certainly the one that he is going to grab for.

I can foresee problems if that out-of-air diver has problems getting the reg quickly and comfortably into his mouth.

And, if, for some reason, buddy breathing is required, it'll be made more complex by the longer-than-usual, molded mouthpiece.

This issue may only be a slight consideration when self-comfort is the primary driver but something to be aware of and certainly something that should discussed in the pre-dive buddy equipment comparison / check...

Regards
Peter

Well, along the same line of thought, if you were diving with a small adolescent, would you change your regular mouthpiece, give that it is a standard size mouthpiece, just to insure that in the case of an OOA situation the adolescent would be able to receive your mouthpiece?

In the situation you describe you could still give the OOA diver the alternate air source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom