sea water entered the first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this steps would be for keeping the reg for the next day dive right? if there is a 2nd trip, do you guys dry the dust cap or proceed to mount on the next fresh tank?

I just mount it taking care not to drip sea water into/onto the first stage.

You can always get one of those little "blow guns" that attach to the low pressure hose. Blow the cap dry before removing the 1st stage and you are all set. This not only works better and faster than using a tank valve, but is a lot less noisy and irritating to your fellow divers.

I am just going to have to say it, since I was 12 yo I have been blowing the first stage cap (notice I do not call it a "dust" cap) off after a dive with the tank with a short and moderate burst of air. I hold my thumb or finger over the regulator inlet filter to prevent any water that might be about from entering. If somebody out there feels this is offensive, nerdy or annoying then they are just going to have to get over it because as habits go, I find that other divers have many and much more annoying habits than that little one of mine. Among them, minding to the business of other divers.

Get a regulator with the ACD feature, like the AL Legend or new Titan, works great, lasts a long time.

N

Last edited:
thanks a lot guys!!!

this steps would be for keeping the reg for the next day dive right? if there is a 2nd trip, do you guys dry the dust cap or proceed to mount on the next fresh tank?

If I am moving my 1st stage directly from the empty tank to a fresh tank (in between dives) I don't worry about the dust cap... if I am not immediately mounting the regulator to a fresh tank, I always make sure the dust cover is placed back on the first stage, so yes, I'll dry it.

Note: Before attaching the first stage to the fresh tank (or any tank) I do open the tank valve slightly for just a split second to blow clear any water droplets, sand or dust that may have somehow gotten into the opening of the valve (not likely, but possible). This prevents water, sand, etc. from being blasted against the first stage filter when you turn on the tank.

Best wishes.

If I am moving my 1st stage directly from the empty tank to a fresh tank (in between dives) I don't worry about the dust cap... if I am not immediately mounting the regulator to a fresh tank, I always make sure the dust cover is placed back on the first stage, so yes, I'll dry it.

Note: Before attaching the first stage to the fresh tank (or any tank) I do open the tank valve slightly for just a split second to blow clear any water droplets, sand or dust that may have somehow gotten into the opening of the valve (not likely, but possible). This prevents water, sand, etc. from being blasted against the first stage filter when you turn on the tank.

Best wishes.

hmmm
think i need to test it out during my 1st dive, since there isn't any water on it. :)

---------- Post added December 16th, 2012 at 02:28 AM ----------

You can always get one of those little "blow guns" that attach to the low pressure hose. Blow the cap dry before removing the 1st stage and you are all set. This not only works better and faster than using a tank valve, but is a lot less noisy and irritating to your fellow divers.

good idea!!! think will get one, this would really help a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom