Sea Sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has been alot of support for the patch but no mention to the possible loss of effectiveness during and after diving. Apparently they still work in wet conditions??? To have to reapply would have had you coming off the preventitive benefits when you may need it most (topside off gasing and switching tanks for a following dive).

I've done five dives in one day while wearing a patch. Just make sure it's on there securely and exercise a bit of care when removing your hood, if you happen to dive with one.

To keep from being seasick, pick out a feature on land and keep your eyes on it. If you are too far out at sea, find a cloud to focus on. Basically, anything that's relatively stable. After a while, you'll get your sea legs and you won't be affected anymore, but the first couple of times, mal de mer can be thoroughly hellish.

I believe you are a faith healer :rofl3:

I believe you are a faith healer :rofl3:

I wouldn't laugh too hard. Fish_Whisperer has a point here. Although the technique does not, in my personal experience, entirely take away my urges to share my normally light pre-dive breakfast with the fish, it does often serve to ease at least the urgency of the waves of nausea that sweeps my cheeks in rougher seas - a fairly uncommon but not that rare event. Sea sickness is usually caused by the brain receiving apparently differing signals from the senses; i.e. the inner ear tells the body that it's moving but the eyes tell the body otherwise. Most divers experiencing the hurlies usually nail their eyes to the boat's floor or the water in front of them trying very hard not to look so (embarrassingly) green around the gills compared to their fellow divers. This means that their field of vision often does not include objects that move relative to one another as the boat or the swells move the body up and down resulting in the eyes sending a "I'm not moving" signal to the brain. Meanwhile back at the ranch, the vestibular system of the inner ear say "You wanna bet? Check out my sensory readings!" and this is where the brain goes "Huh?! That doesn't make sense...HuRrrlll!" By looking at something relatively static; e.g. the horizon, your eyes are recognizing that your body is moving relative to that object, thereby reducing the discrepancy between the signals sent to the brain by your ears and your eye. :coffee:

I was talking with a deep sea fishing charter captain a while back. He said he makes all of his customers do the following if they want to charter with him. Claims that since he started doing this he doesn't have to hose the deck off any more.

Good nights rest
Bonnie the night before
Bonnie the morning of
Some sort of nasal spray to keep your head clear
Poop before you hit the water to make sure you bowels aren't pressing any spinal fluid up into your head
Lots of fluids

I haven't had a chance to try out the above yet.

As a kid fishing with my Dad on the Great Lakes in a very tiny boat, I used to get pretty green. His buddies always brought egg salad sandwiches. I get a little sea sick to this day when I am around them--even on dry land

Back
Top Bottom