Sea Sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ka7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I can at times suffer quite badly from sea sickness which isn’t really the best combination with diving and wondered if anyone had any advice?

I have just returned from Wolf and Darwin out in the Galapagos, I knew it was likely to be rough so went prepared, only what to find what I had taken didn’t really do the trick. I used Sea legs pills which on previous dive trips had apart from the occasional blip seemed to work quite well, I also took a daily dose of ginger tablets which I started a couple of days prior to boarding the boat. Thirdly I used wrist bands whilst I was being really sea sick I didn’t think worked at all and therefore took them off, but interestingly they were having some effect as I felt the difference and pretty rapidly put them back on!

Combination of the above helped towards seasickness but definitely didn’t prevent it. Next month I am off on another diving trip and would love to come up with an answer for it before I go. I have a doctor’s appointment as I have heard that the patches (Scopoderm I believe they are called) can work extremely well, but I have also heard this is very individual and they can also cause undesirable side effects.

I realise hydration can be a factor in seasickness and just to point out (until I start being sick) I keep well hydrated and always use rehydration tablets if I show any signs on being dehydrated.

Any comments?

Well, it is your luck day, as I have found the cure for sea sickness. It is a long kept secret that I will share with you. I know you are excited and really want to here it... So, here it is: Hugging a palm tree (and no, it doesn't work if you bring one with you...). :wink:

To settle your stomach a bit I would suggest ginger. Specifically good old ginger ale and candied ginger root (you can get it at a health foods store and some publix).

Thanks but as I said in the original post I was taking a daily dose of ginger.

I realise the patches can work differently on individuals but would be interested to hear feedback from anyone that has used them.

Or of course any alternative options that I may not know of....

Galapagos & seasickness seem to go hand in hand. I don't think you should feel bad about it. (no pun intended)

I used to be paranoid about getting seasick. I did get sick on a boat ONCE, but I attribute it to diesel fumes and lack of shade on the boat, in addition to the rocking. Honestly, it kept me from diving anywhere I thought I might get sick again. I decided 2 years ago to bite the bullet and booked a liveaboard trip , on the Nekton. I took a box of the ginger tablets and took them a couple of times when I got that funny feeling.... but never once got sick. Since then we have done 3 more liveaboards, one time in Calif where the boat was rockin' & rollin' bad (several guys were hanging over the rail). I didn't get even a bit queasy!

I have not gotten seasick sick again since that first time--- I think it is partially mind over matter and partially that I am now used to the feeling of being on a boat. I do still travel with the box of ginger tablets, and I do think they work if you are a bit queasy..... but I think time on boats will help cure the problem.

We are heading out for another liveaboard in 3 months........ I love being on boats now!

I wouldn't suggest the ginger tablets... However, if you do use the scopoderm patch I would (not as a medical professional...) use it the day before to get it into your system before hitting the water. If you take it off prior to diving ensure you do not touch you eye afterward. I had a buddy do this. It was really funny (not as much at the time)...

One of my buddies suffers from sea sickness, but the scopalomine patches did the trick for her. Good luck in finding a solution... seasickness sure can put a damper on your diving, at least from boats.

I too get very sea sick and have tried a number of things to help, but the best I have found is an OTC called Bonine. This was recommended to me over the summer and it worked great. I take on the night before and then another the morning of the dive and I have not even felt the least bit sick so far. My wife who never seems to get sea sick started feeling bad on our last trip as we had an extended surface stop between dives and I gave her 1 and she said that in about 15 or 20 min she felt much better.

Thanks for the positive comments re patches, I am hoping they do the trick.

RobinT - yes I agree Galapagos and being sea sick do go together rather well, but believe me when I start being sea sick I get it pretty bad!

Next trip is off to South Africa and I know its going to get pretty rough out there, it is land based as opposed to a liveaboard. But my problem can sometimes start underwater, I am fine in strong currents but not in swells when you start going up and down too much. Trying not to be sick on a safety stop isnt much fun.

PCBCaptChris - when you said you wouldnt recommend ginger tablets but you had previously recommended other forms of ginger; do you find the tablets not to be as effective?

Ginger in an of itself is not a cure all, but it can help... They say the more well balanced you are the more easily you get seasickness... Well, I am fortunate to not be very well balanced...

That said, I have a lot of friends that can walk the I beam... Through my long term, non-scientific, volume study of friends and the like I have found the tablets to have no effect... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom