Sea Hunt marker buoys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you could do it using PVC and then step the PVC for the CO2 cartridge up to the the diameter of a balloon tire bicycle tube. Fold and then cement with Aqua Seal the end of the tube. I would cut the tube so that the effective length deflated would be about 12 inches and experiment from there. The needle would puncture the CO2 cartridge if perhaps contained in the center of a threaded cap, screw the cap down, pow.

N

Not bad. I'll add it to the prototype list and see if I can work it out. It would be bigger and take up more storage room, but it could have its uses.

blow-ups.jpg

Were available from Dacor as early as 1962.

Simonbeans, I have the larger of the two and believe it is called a "Safety-Float" or somesuch (not at home right now). I understood these to be emergency floatation devices. Is the smaller one actually designed to be a marker buoy? The ones on sea Hunt always seemed much smaller.

Don't you just hate it when you wonder if it can be done. Well, here is my idea. CO2 inflator from shot early BC, ice bag from local drug store (you can get them cheaper on line), rubber washer, nylon washer, nut (3/16 X 18). Does it work, TBD, as I am out of CO2 cartridges (some on order). No reason why it shouldn't.

icebagfloat1.jpg

icebagfloat2.jpg

icebagfloat3.jpg

This is what I truly love about the divers...we all love gadgets, simple and complex.

How about make this idea real simple with existing technology you can pick up today for cheap; a bike inner tube tied to a finger spool and a simple CO2 inlfltor, all for under 25 bones:

40-5138-NCL-TOP.jpg

Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite CO2 Inflation System
Completely redesigned for 2010, the Air Chuck Elite CO2 inflator is now 25% lighter thanks to its all metal design. Quick and easy Push-To-Inflate technology gives you precise control over the flow of CO2, putting you back in the saddle in record time.

Push-To-Inflate technology delivers fast, easy and controllable, single-handed CO2 inflation
Weighs only 17g
Fits Presta and Schrader valves
All metal alloy construction provides durable strength
Compatible with 12g, 16g and 25g threaded CO2 cartridges and Big Air!
Limited Lifetime warranty
Made in the USA

If you get a chance to test it, let us know how it turns out.

It works. 12 gm CO2. Now what will happen if inflated below 33'? Could be interesting.
Icebagfloat4.jpg

My guess is it'll be half inflated,:rolleyes: buoyant enough to rise to the surface. What’s the carbon foot print on the rig? CO2 ya know.:rofl3:

Seems perfect, and it didn't require an over-pressure valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom