sea drop v. sea gold v. 500 psi test with results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
When I was working I Sport Chalet in the Scuba section I got bored and brought my mask in to see which of the three products that works best, along with another co-worker to verify my result, as for testing it out, I was wearing my mask in the back doing inventory so there was some effort to try and fog up my mask:

First I applied Sea drops; 2 drops per lens inner and outer and waited until it dried and briskly dunked it twice on cold water. Worked great.

To break the anti-fog i used trident sink the stink and rechecked to make sure that the mask will fog up, it did.

next 500psi; 2 drops for inner and outer and waited until it dried, it takes longer and took a gentle soft running water to wash it off of the mask. it worked, just not as clear as the sea drops and it fogged a little on the sides.

Again break down the anti fog with Trident sink the stink

Next I tried out the sea gold; two drops per inner and outer lens. It took dried up faster than the 500psi yet longer time to dry faster than the sea drops. Also it washed off almost as easy as the sea drops. It worked better than the 500psi but the lens just not as clear as the Sea drops.

Broke down the anti fog and did my test once again. And I concluded that the sea drops were cheaper than both and performed better than the Sea Gold and much better than the 500psi.

So my best bet would be the Sea drops.

Can someone verify to see if my test is valid? Thanks.

Kraken Spit works the best . . .
. . . but some jerk stole the formula and started selling it as Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo.

the K

I'm a Sea Drop user. The 500PSI leaves white gunk in the cracks and crevices of the mask.

Krack, I tried your defog, but didn't like the little green and brown pieces stuck on the lens.

I am sure it doesn't make a difference when placed on the outside, just the inside that counts according to the directions from the mcnett sea gold. Yet, I did it anyway because I read on many past views posted that they did the same also it was one way i can use the excess defog from the inner mask so the treated lenses can dry up faster.

Oh yah, with that post on top of mine that mentions about residue? The 500psi has a white residue and definitely shows up on the rubber of a black frame less mask. Sea Drop and Sea Gold has no residue.

I'm a Sea Drop user. The 500PSI leaves white gunk in the cracks and crevices of the mask.

Krack, I tried your defog, but didn't like the little green and brown pieces stuck on the lens.

. . . yeah, maybe, but you sure as heck can't beat the price !!!!

I've found Sea Gold to work better than Sea Drops, but I never have time to let it dry. I just rub it on and then a quick rinse. We have bottles of both next to the pool for use when instructing.

"So my best bet would be the Sea drops.
Can someone verify to see if my test is valid? Thanks."

I suffer from Poor Spit Quality ("PSQ") so I have spent, oh, several minutes at least, doing the same testing. Only, in an effort to advance the science, I did the testing underwater. My results agree with yours - Sea Drops are the best, for those who can't spit properly.

For one dive just about any remedy, correctly applied, will do the job.

Interesting result. I've always liked sea drops the least and preferred Sea Gold or 500PSI. I then finally tried Baby Shampoo (Walgreens brand), threw out any remaining leftovers of Sea Gold/Drops and never looked back. The difference in how well that stuff works is that substantial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom