sea drop v. sea gold v. 500 psi test with results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too prefer the Sea Gold and don't wait until dry.
I've used baby shampoo also with fairly good results.
I've seen it mixed with water in a spray bottle but find that using it that way the effect doesn't last long. I prefer to use a drop or two straight and give a quick rinse.

I'm a spitter, never had any fog problems if I spit in my mask. Never tried any drops but spitting really works fine if you let sit for a minute or two.

I stopped using drops and went back to spit mainly because of convenience. I thought I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to let it dry completely before rinsing; maybe I was wrong. Anyway, since I didn't want to let the drops dry completely, and since I didn't want to use my rough kevlar glove to spread it, it was inconvenient to work out the sequence of putting my gear on and getting into the water and also deal with the bottle of drops. I've found that if you do it right and don't rinse it all away, spit works just as good as the drops. Except...

I just got back from a long vacation in Belize, and for most of the trip I had the most frustrating problems with my mask leaking and fogging. I couldn't understand it because I never have that much trouble at home. What was I doing different?

I often go several days without shaving, so I didn't think my stubble was causing the leaks, but when I shaved the problem went away, so I figured that the difference was just a few extra days of stubble.

The fogging problem only went away when I went crazy on cleaning the inside of the mask. Fresh water was not that easy to come by in the super-cheap accommodations and camping we had, so I would let the mask go several dives without even a fresh water rinse. But when we had a hotel room I took the time to clean my mask properly, and it didn't fog after that (using spit).

Back to the original context of the thread, I never noticed that much difference in the performance of Sea Drops vs. Sea Gold, just in how goopy they are coming out of the bottle.

We had been using this stuff called GT49 until a couple of months ago when the company went out of business. The stuff works great and the container was just big enough to give no-fog to the students, and small enough to stick in the sleeve of the wetsuit without it getting uncomfortable. Since then, we switched to "Spit", the commercial kind. The stuff works fine, but the container is bigger than needed, so we are now putting it in old visene bottles. The one time I used the sea drops, they worked great with no fogging at all. Not a fan of the 500 psi though.

I've used sea drops for over 5 years and am very happy with how it works! We've tried alot of others but always come back to them.

I tried all the defog and baby shampoo works every time and costs less. It also smells better than spit!

I gotta go with the shampoo. Another reason our masks fog is because the moisture sticks to the small dirt particles. I guess the shampoo helps to clean as well as work as a defogger?

Besides when I am done diving for the day and hit the shower at the dock I can also get the salt outa my hair. Kills two birds with one stone. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom