SDI visual inspection procedure class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
I have to get my tanks vised every year which is $20 a pop. This class is $40 which will save me an insane amount of money very quickly. So my question is, can you take this class as a non Shop employee and be certified to vis my own tanks each year? If so, how do I prove to my LDS that i am certified to do so and even though there isn't a current vis sticker from someone It has in fact been vised by me and good to go?

are we talking steel tanks or aluminum?

You can purchase stickers. You can provide your inspection log for the tank. You can show your credentials to the shop.

The shop can still do what they want. It is their compressor....

I took the SDI/TDI Tank Visual class multiple times and yes you can take this class as a Non Shop employee and you will be certified to vis. inspect Scuba and SCBA tanks. But this price of $40 seems way too low- many first class consisted of 2 full days of hands on instruction and inspecting of up to 20 defective tanks. This certification is good for 2 years and must be updated, Also be aware that tools you need to purchase will cost a couple of hundred dollars plus design and printing of
custom Visual stickers.If I were you I would double check exactly what type of training you are getting for $40.

These are the folks that worked with SDI to create that class-

Cylinder Training Services

You can check their website for upcoming classes and instructors in your area.

Not sure where you're seeing it priced at $40, $275 is a pretty normal price for the course.

TC:
These are the folks that worked with SDI to create that class-

Cylinder Training Services

You can check their website for upcoming classes and instructors in your area.

Not sure where you're seeing it priced at $40, $275 is a pretty normal price for the course.
I agree- my first class cost $350 but updates every couple of years only cost $100, but it a very informative class.

Got it. Thanks everyone for the help, that clears up a lot. I got the price from here...figured I wasn't reading it right as it couldn't be that easy, but its for the e-learning version. With all their other classes it states there are more fee's for the hands on parts established by the shop you take it at, but this one didn't say anything about that so figured it was "just" the e-learning part and only $40.

SDI Visual Inspection Procedures | SDI | TDI | ERDI

The hands-on part, with plenty of failed tanks and marginal tanks to look at, is important. I don't even know exactly how many tanks we all looked at during our course, but it took a few hours to look at them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom