SDI standards on sharing a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCadiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Diver (1)
New diver here, my wife and I are just finishing up our PADI OW and have scheduled a trip to Belize - we're also just getting started on our equipment purchases. We just bought a Suunto Gekko dive computer that we're hoping we can share to start out. Since we will be doing all of our diving together I suspect that while not ideal that this isn't too big a problem. Any things to be wary of or to take into account when sharing a computer with your dive partner? I plan to be conservative on the numbers to ensure there are absolutely no issues.

Diver (2)
The answer to sharing a computer is absolutely NO from every agency and every manufacturer.

The Instructor
The above statement is about as true as a mask on the forehead indicating that you are a diver in distress. The OW standards for SDI requires at least one PDC for each buddy pair.

I looking for SDI take on the subject

Why do you care what SDI standards are? Does it make sense to dive without instrumentation?

Diving without your own computer or watch / depth gauge makes about as much sense as driving a car with a blank instrument panel while following a buddy in a properly working car.

Diver (1)
New diver here, my wife and I are just finishing up our PADI OW and have scheduled a trip to Belize - we're also just getting started on our equipment purchases. We just bought a Suunto Gekko dive computer that we're hoping we can share to start out. Since we will be doing all of our diving together I suspect that while not ideal that this isn't too big a problem. Any things to be wary of or to take into account when sharing a computer with your dive partner? I plan to be conservative on the numbers to ensure there are absolutely no issues.

Diver (2)
The answer to sharing a computer is absolutely NO from every agency and every manufacturer.

The Instructor
The above statement is about as true as a mask on the forehead indicating that you are a diver in distress. The OW standards for SDI requires at least one PDC for each buddy pair.

I looking for SDI take on the subject

SDI Standards are very clear: Each diver MUST wear a personal dive computer. The ONLY exception noted is a discovery scuba.

Sharing a computer is against just about every industry standard I can think of.

FYI, I just spoke with our V-P Training, Sean Harrison, and after he stopped choking on his inhaled coffee, he confirmed the standards for me. No ambivalence at all.

Deleted

Last edited:
Thank you Steve for the information. One question on the discovery scuba is that pool or ocean or both?

Why do you care what SDI standards are? Does it make sense to dive without instrumentation?

Diving without your own computer or watch / depth gauge makes about as much sense as driving a car with a blank instrument panel while following a buddy in a properly working car.

captndale because some instructor out their is giving bad information to new divers and you haven't done anything about. Since I don't now SDI standards I rather ask the source about standards then so guy on the internet who does not know what he is talking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom