SDI Solo instructor in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atmerritt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the very early planning stages of a dive trip to the Florida Keys in about a month and a half, and it's looking like I'll be traveling without a group from the local shop for the first time. I've been wanting to take the solo course for a while now, I meet all the prerequisites and I think I'm ready for it. I was thinking this trip might be a good opportunity for that. I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with a shop or instructor in the Islamorada/Tavernier/Key Largo area who teaches the course?

I've taken trips with Florida Keys Dive Center before, and I really liked the shop and the staff, so I'm strongly considering them. I know they're SDI/TDI but I haven't contacted them yet to ask if they even teach the course, and if it would be possible on my schedule. Again, very early planning stages. I'm open to whatever suggestions anyone may have. Thanks!

I only k ow of horizons in the keys. But someone else might now of another operation2.

Depending on the instructor, the PADI Self-Reliant course is the same as or better than the SDI course. For example, 3 dives, not 2, and SpareAir not allowed as a redundant air source. So don't feel restricted to SDI shops.

Good point, I was thinking about editing my OP to address that. All my certs so far have been with PADI. I've just sort of gathered the impression from various threads here that the "Solo" cert title garners more respect than the "Self-Reliant" cert title, and that that respect = better access to sites/boats as a solo diver.

That being said, I'm open to hearing recommendations for Self-Reliant instructors, as well as recent experiences of those who hold the Self-Reliant cert.

Are you looking to dive solo or become a better self reliant diver? Both are legitimate reasons to get the training. If you want to solo dive and have operators you like call them and ask if they will accept the PADI card as a solo certification. You’re in NJ so you may go the Dutch Springs. They do not accept PADI Self Reliant Diver as a solo certification.

PADI self reliant course do NOT count as a solo diver with most dive outfits.

I would agree a fair number of dive ops wont respect the padi cert , I teach both but I tell my students they may have trouble with the padi cert .

I agree with the others that said to go SDI. If the training agency will not call it a solo course why would anyone else be expected to recognize it as such?

I agree with the others that said to go SDI. If the training agency will not call it a solo course why would anyone else be expected to recognize it as such?
This above 100%

Personally, I do not understand the difference in acceptance between SDI Solo and PADI Self Reliant. After diving solo for many years with operations who knew me, I took the SDI course in 2013 to facilitate diving with operators who did not know me. This strategy has worked perfectly well, with 100% acceptance of my SDI certification. Who knows what my experience would have been with the PADI certification.

Back
Top Bottom