ScubaToys Nitrox class Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro12

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There always seems to be much praise for ScubaToys on the boards for the product/customer service, so I figure I'd check out one of their classes and see how that side of their business ran.

I had the opportunity to attend a monthly Nitrox class at the Dallas located ScubaToys this past Wednesday (8/16). I drove 3 hours up to Dallas from College Station (ok, I afforded myself the opportunity) to take their NAUI Nitrox class and add some varying experience and knowledge to supplement what I get from my local LDS.
The first unique thing is that they allow you to audit the class for free. You can pull up a chair, get the printed materials, and enjoy the freedom of information. Larry, who taught our class, explained that this was to clear up any mystery behind what some perceive to be a "voodoo" gas that they may not completely understand. He'd rather people attend, absorb some knowledge, and hopefully clarify any misconceptions around Nitrox, and just give them the option of paying the $99 at the end of the class if they want the official card. If not, no harm, no foul - they still go home more informed.

The class itself was set at a good pace. I went through my initial OW where my instructor reiterated rudimentary concepts 5-6 times, which I can only assume was because not everyone will pick up the ideas at the same rate. Larry assumes if you're in a nitrox class, you're more interested in scuba than the average OW student, and therefore more versed in many of the concepts. He dictates the speed of the class around this supposition and moves fluidly through each stage of the class without repitition ad nauseum. My fair warning is that some may find this too quick, but if you shoot a question, he'll slow down to be sure everyone's with him.

In addition to moving through the concepts at a consistent speed, he maintains your interest with humor abound. This is the sign of a truly good orator and Larry did a great job of keeping everything light, even while emphasizing the caveats of Nitrox. Several of his own instructors sat in on the class as well, presumably to pick up some of Larry's jokes :wink:

Overall, it was a great learning experience for the material itself, and to widen my own horizons beyond just PADI and my own local dive shop.

Quick Summary:

PROs:
Freedom of info (if you don't want the nitrox c card)
Great interactive potential with likeminded people from Dallas metro area
Captivating instructor with many a joke and humoring anecdotes
Opportunity to gape in awe at the bountiful scuba gadgets *everywhere* (really large warehouse, at least to what I'm accustomed)

Cons:
Some may find the pace slightly quick (Larry *is* a Yankee)
You show up for free info and think the class is so good, you donate the $99 anyhow :p

ScubaToys who????

Just kidding!

Glad you took a Nitrox class,,,def. a plus for sport diving.

Another thing I wish all dive shops would do! Kudos to Larry and ST.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom