Nitrox Course SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vemura

Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question. I signed up for a Nitrox course last year that was scheduled to be soon. In the email there was: have you done the following -
3. Went through the course materials and done your knowledge reviews?
4. YES? Then you are all set!

I’d been trying to ask through email and through texts where the course materials were, because I didn’t have them, long before today so that I could plan my schedule and make time to study it beforehand, and had been met with either a ‘no there’s nothing to prepare,’ or no reply at all.

But today I find out that those materials were in the SSI app, but I don’t have time to read and digest them before the course which is on Zoom.

I asked if I can reschedule and explained why, and now they say that I don’t need to know anything beforehand and the instructor will explain it. The Zoom session on this is only 1 hour.

I asked so why did the email say to read the material and do the knowledge reviews first? They say that it’s a good thing to be able to do so, but either way, every learner learns differently. Btw it's an automated email. Some people prefer to listen attentively to the class. But yes the instructor will cover the content at class.

I’d like to know your insights, ie the truth. Should the materials have been read beforehand? The last thing I want to do is rush a one hour class, they do their job going through the content but I understand nothing.

I did the SSI Nitrox class recently. The eLearning content was mostly theoretical and expands on what you already know but tailored to higher O2 content. It is an _extremely_ short course from a new material standpoint though I don’t feel like I got short changed or anything. It seems a straight forward thing. (IMO)

What the local LDS covered in my “class” portion physically at the LDS was the hands on pieces like taking O2 measurements and identifying the tags on the tanks, which we didn’t cover in the basic OW class and answering any other questions.

We didn’t cover the same material, but then again I didn’t have any theoretical questions. I’m sure had I had any the instructor would have answered.

Just my experience as a student

Quick question. I signed up for a Nitrox course last year that was scheduled to be soon. In the email there was: have you done the following -
3. Went through the course materials and done your knowledge reviews?
4. YES? Then you are all set!

I’d been trying to ask through email and through texts where the course materials were, because I didn’t have them, long before today so that I could plan my schedule and make time to study it beforehand, and had been met with either a ‘no there’s nothing to prepare,’ or no reply at all.

But today I find out that those materials were in the SSI app, but I don’t have time to read and digest them before the course which is on Zoom.

I asked if I can reschedule and explained why, and now they say that I don’t need to know anything beforehand and the instructor will explain it. The Zoom session on this is only 1 hour.

I asked so why did the email say to read the material and do the knowledge reviews first? They say that it’s a good thing to be able to do so, but either way, every learner learns differently. Btw it's an automated email. Some people prefer to listen attentively to the class. But yes the instructor will cover the content at class.

I’d like to know your insights, ie the truth. Should the materials have been read beforehand? The last thing I want to do is rush a one hour class, they do their job going through the content but I understand nothing.

Definitely find a new shop first off, but you don’t have time to read an hour or two of online material? The course isn’t that long.

Just finished the NAUI Nitrox course for a second time, fist was 20 years ago. The new course is very good, and no way it could be covered in an hour. It’s very good in my opinion. Did OW with SSI in 1992 and it was extensive, browsed the course offered today and it’s been dumbed down significantly since then. Instructor is key no matter where you go.

Definitely find a new shop first off, but you don’t have time to read an hour or two of online material? The course isn’t that long.
Yes, the course is today, I don’t have time today as I have a full schedule.

*** Correction, I just asked again and it is 2 hours. They previously told me the wrong information on the duration.

Thank you so much guys, I’ve insisted that they postpone it so that I can read through and understand the material first.

They show you how to use the analyzer on zoom and mail you a nitrox cert? Nice business model.

They show you how to use the analyzer on zoom and mail you a nitrox cert? Nice business model.
Not for the full Nitrox card, good to 40%, and allowing you to analyze your own gas. You MUST analyze at least two cylinders.

Here is the Instructor Manual for the course.

Back
Top Bottom