Nitrox Course SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*** Correction, I just asked again and it is 2 hours. They previously told me the wrong information on the duration.

Thank you so much guys, I’ve insisted that they postpone it so that I can read through and understand the material first.
well i guess if you have already postponed your course then i guesss our opinion really does not matter now. lol
first....the shop should have explained how to access the course materials when you signed up.
if you were already one of their students you should have already had online access to the ssi materials.
if you were a new student they would have had to set you up with an ssi profile and you should have received an email prompting you to sign on to your new ssi acct to access any materials needed.
i am no longer teaching actively but i will tell you our local shop had many issues getting students to be able to access the online materials. and even when they did it properly, and completed the materials, sometimes the ssi system would still say it was incomplete.
the idea is supposed to be that you complete the online learning ahead of time so you are introduced to all the new information. then, if you do a session with an instructor, it should be a breeze to go over all the keys points of the course and clarify any questions you may have.
i am out of the loop on how things have been being done lately but there was a time recently that ssi was not even requiring you to have a session with an instructor other than to do a quick hands on session in order to show you how to do the paper work and tank testing etc when you pick up nitrox tanks.
for some people the nitrox course is easy and they fly through it with no problem. but for others, it is difficult to grasp some of the theory and to get through the dive planning. especially those that have not been actively using their planning skills.
so depending how comfortable you are with your theory and planning etc, you may have been able to go through the 2hr session and understood everything perfectly. but in my opinion, you made the right choice in waiting until you had a chance to go over all the online materials.
the shop may have wanted you to attend the next session possibly because they do not run them very often and it may be awhile until the next one.
we have a small shop here and only ran a nitrox course 2 or 3 times a year. so for us to have an instructor do a one on one session for someone who did not complete the materials would be cost prohibitive.
i cannot say why your shop does it they way they do but it seems it all worked out for you. good luck. have fun !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom