ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL~~~~

Jafo123:
OK, as usual I shot off my mouth before I knew what I was talking about. It is a MK25. The dive shop showed me where to look and it is a right angle 1st stage.

Thanks everyone for your replies. You did help.

jafo

LOL ok then.. I have the same set of regs and I'm not really impressed with the x650, as I have the R390 as an occy and find that it breaths better. I think I need to have it adjusted the x650 that is

Idive with a guy that uses the same set up and he loves his, I use the MK25 but wont part with my 18 year old D300, for me, I just havent found anything better.

I use a Mk 20's and on occasion Mk 25's, but for second stages it is a case of "D400 4Ever". Super reg and SP really screwed up when they discontinued it in favor of the far less capable X650.

While I have heard of The 25 not being happy in cold water I have not been witness to any such problems, from mine, or any other diver I know that uses one. More than 90% of my diving being in the northeast and offten in the winter. But then again I was told that my MK VII was a failure waiting to happen in cold water, Yet has been right behind me on ice dives done since buying it in the 80's. Both have been rock solid performers in water much colder than 40 f. Not having been formally trained on the engineering and theory of regulators I must admit ignorance, but how is it that I have not had a single problem or failure with the same gear constantly named as being trouble?
This is not meant to be accusatory or sarcastic, it's a genuine query that has puzzled me for years. I have over time, been through a fair string of trial and error before
finding a line that suits me, and that I have grown to trust. Oddly enough it seems to be named as a "not so good choice" Despite cold, depth, heavy silting and hard work.
Could it be just a matter of brand prefferance? or am I just the luckiest SOB in the world? I understand that DA Aquamaster is the local authority on SP and would love to hear your insight on this. While I am aware of the short commings of some entry level gear, this is not what I question. How much is backed up fact, and how much is fiction? I wonder, and would like to hear from a source more informed on this than I am.

I bought the ScubaPro 650 with the thoughts of it lasting me quite a while. I had a Mares Axis before and didn't like the way it breathed when I was inverted or on my back. Also my son is just getting into diving and thought of passing my old set on to him. I dove the 650 last night in the pool while doing my dry suit training and it worked wounderfull, on my back and inverted. I even tried twisting and turning in all sorts of directions and it still worked great. Will be doing the open water dry suit training tomorrow and can't wait to see how it does at depth.

Thanks every one. jafo

Timely thread!

I was at a LDS today scouting gear. As an option the MK25/S600 was suggested but they also suggested swapping the 1st stage to the M2 IF we had cold water diving intentions.

Pete

A year or so ago I did several dives with a buddy with Mk 25 S600 and 3000 psi tanks. I also dove with a Mk 25 but with a D400 second stage and 2475 psi tanks. Both of us were in drysuits and have very similar SAC rates.

Out of five dives to depths of 120-140 ft with bottom temps around 38-39 degrees he froze up on 4 of the 5 dives. One of these freeze ups resolved it self during the ascent and the dive continued, although much shallower. Obviously we formed two differring opinions on the Mk 25 and he has not used his in cold water since.

So how reliable people think the MK 25 is in cold water depends on several factors:

1) what second stage it is paired with,
2) high or low pressure tanks,
3) how cold is cold in terms of water temp
4) how good the divers codl water technique happens to be, and
5) SAC rate.

I think you can get away with just about anything with a Mk 25 in 50 degree or warmer water, but the farther below 50 you get the more critical things become.

In 33 degree water for example I would want a D400 or older G250 second stage, low pressure tanks and would want to ensure I used good cold water technique. With those conditions met, the Mk 25 will do fine.

Locally we tend to sell a lot more Mk2's and Mk 16's for extremely cold water use as they are pretty much idiot proof in cold water.

DA Aquamaster:
So how reliable people think the MK 25 is in cold water depends on several factors:

1) what second stage it is paired with,
2) high or low pressure tanks,
3) how cold is cold in terms of water temp
4) how good the divers codl water technique happens to be, and
5) SAC rate.

Don't forget IP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom