Scubapro warranty clarification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

I got a very helpful email from Tiffany Waterbury at Scubapro which I think clears up some of this murk. Rather than forward her actual email here, I'll reiterate the major points she made. From what I gather:

1) Scubapro's international warranty is valid worldwide, including here in the US, as long as you are the original owner and you bought from an authorized Scubapro dealer. I assume that since I specifically mentioned buying from overseas sources, that would include places like DiveInn/Scubastore.

2) Scubapro's free parts program, and the batteries thing for UWATEC computers, are offered by Scubapro USA only, valid at, and to original owners who bought from, Scubapro USA authorized dealers. These are SEPARATE from their warranty.

This means that if you buy from an overseas source you should have a full manufacturer's warranty, but annual service will cost more than if you bought here. The initial cost could be much cheaper, but that'll be offset in the long run. However, either way you'll have the warranty.

So the question becomes more about the free parts privilege rather than the warranty itself. Whew, I guess that settles that!

Also, I finally found out that an R290 reg can in fact be serviced in the US. Probably just a rebadged R190 for the Euro market.

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
hey all

I got a very helpful email from Tiffany Waterbury at Scubapro which I think clears up some of this murk. Rather than forward her actual email here, I'll reiterate the major points she made. From what I gather:

1) Scubapro's international warranty is valid worldwide, including here in the US, as long as you are the original owner and you bought from an authorized Scubapro dealer. I assume that since I specifically mentioned buying from overseas sources, that would include places like DiveInn/Scubastore.

2) Scubapro's free parts program, and the batteries thing for UWATEC computers, are offered by Scubapro USA only, valid at, and to original owners who bought from, Scubapro USA authorized dealers. These are SEPARATE from their warranty.

This means that if you buy from an overseas source you should have a full manufacturer's warranty, but annual service will cost more than if you bought here. The initial cost could be much cheaper, but that'll be offset in the long run. However, either way you'll have the warranty.

So the question becomes more about the free parts privilege rather than the warranty itself. Whew, I guess that settles that!

Also, I finally found out that an R290 reg can in fact be serviced in the US. Probably just a rebadged R190 for the Euro market.

cheers

Billy S.

Alot of us could have saved you the trouble of contacting SP but than that would take all of the fun out of things. Anyway, what is the point of all this? Are you trying to get others to endorse SP and their policies, which aren't any different from Aqualung's? In spite of what Tiffany told you, the way these warranties are written and the things they require you to do to maintain compliance are illegal in the eyes of the US federal government. That makes the warranties illegal and unenforcable. As far as the batteries thing for Uwatec, without a lifetime warranty on an international purchase, does ScubaPro charge $400 for the battery and recalibration or is that just for US consumers who purchase online? If I buy a product without a lifetime warranty, why is there a difference between one bought overseas or from LeisurePro, when it comes to the cost of service?

yknot:
Alot of us could have saved you the trouble of contacting SP but than that would take all of the fun out of things. Anyway, what is the point of all this? Are you trying to get others to endorse SP and their policies, which aren't any different from Aqualung's?

No...um, just trying to provide some useful information on what seems to be a maddeningly confusing situation. Frankly I don't give a rat's a$$ whether anyone endorses SP's policies. I'm not even saying I do (I'm inclined not to, since I'm no fan of corporations and their tendency to strongarm customers). I'm just trying to understand them. Only reason I care about SP (and Aqualung, for that matter) is that I'm intrigued with their products.

In spite of what Tiffany told you, the way these warranties are written and the things they require you to do to maintain compliance are illegal in the eyes of the US federal government. That makes the warranties illegal and unenforcable. As far as the batteries thing for Uwatec, without a lifetime warranty on an international purchase, does ScubaPro charge $400 for the battery and recalibration or is that just for US consumers who purchase online? If I buy a product without a lifetime warranty, why is there a difference between one bought overseas or from LeisurePro, when it comes to the cost of service?

My understanding is that items purchased from overseas dealers DO have the lifetime warranty. The battery replacement thing is SEPARATE from the warranty. The free parts for life thing is SEPARATE from the warranty. Before I though that they were all one in the same. Buyng overseas, so I understand, I still get the warranty against defects and that stuff, so any SP dealer would/should honor it...but I'd have to pay full price for annual service. Places like LP you have to settle for their store warranty. Where am I going with this? I don't know. It's not like I'm buying any new regs anytime soon.

I'm not going to comment on whether SP's tactics are illegal or unethical or whatever, that's not why I started this thread. And I'm not shilling for them either. I dug around for some info on this confusing warranty issue and simply wanted to share it. Whatever.

cheers

Billy S.

Even though they assert the international warranty, it is a totally depending on the shop in foreign countries. There is no guarantee.

You can't image how much SP used to charge the same products in other countries. Even, SP used to sell some gears that is not come out in U.S. market to get the consumer’s response. For example, MK25T/X650T and Titanium knife K-6. Yes, many customers who paid the double price in foreign countries are the test group for the new gear. Even if they recall the some products in US, SP doesn’t recall the same products on time in foreign countries, for example, X650 regulator. Thanks to the internet, the customers in foreign countries are getting more informative so that they can speak out their right as a customer.

So, it is just a market scam in my perspective.

I have already contacted SP about this matter last summer. This is the reply from SP.
Warranty is world wide- but the “free parts for life” is a North American offer and foreign dealers will not offer free parts-but, special arraignments can be made on a case by case basis.undefined
Safe dive!

Right on. This goes for all equipment manufacturers. Many times the terms of warranty differs over here in Asia even when the product is purchased from an authorised dealer. So the question is why do owners in the US get free lifetime parts with the service whereas owners in the other parts of the world do not??? Double standards????

Tim Wong:
Right on. This goes for all equipment manufacturers. Many times the terms of warranty differs over here in Asia even when the product is purchased from an authorised dealer. So the question is why do owners in the US get free lifetime parts with the service whereas owners in the other parts of the world do not??? Double standards????

My guess is that SP, like many other companies (and something like the YMCA, where I work), is not a single monolithic thing, but operates its various regional divisions more or less independently from each other. They all are owned by the same corporation but each one has a business model, policies and even products specific to its own region. SP Asia, for whatever reason, doesn't do things the same as in America, especially when it's an "elective," ie a non-necessary privilege of ownership. Makes sense. That is, if I'm reading it all correctly. :)

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
My guess is that SP, like many other companies (and something like the YMCA, where I work), is not a single monolithic thing, but operates its various regional divisions more or less independently from each other. They all are owned by the same corporation but each one has a business model, policies and even products specific to its own region. SP Asia, for whatever reason, doesn't do things the same as in America, especially when it's an "elective," ie a non-necessary privilege of ownership. Makes sense. That is, if I'm reading it all correctly. :)

cheers

Billy S.

The problem and issue is that the strongest arguement SP and Aqualung try and make to US dive consumers is that if you buy online you won't get a warranty with the free parts for life. They can't restrict access in Europe the same way, therefore internet sales can be made by "authorized" dealers, therefore there is competiton for products and prices (also no "minimum advertised/sales price" allowed in Europe), therefore no free parts for life in Europe because there isn't a way to support this and sell at discount prices. If:
1) Parts and service were available for the same price and in the same timely manner on a specific product, regardless of where you bought it (does your Quickie-Lube care where you bought your car when they do an oil change? Is there a price difference?)
2) Parts and service are available regardless of a service provider's affiliation with a distributor for a particular product line
3) Free parts for life was treated as a service contract available at an additional cost regardless of where you purchased the product and
4) You had the opportunity to at least register the product with the manufacturer, warranty coverage aside, to at least be notified of product recalls and deficiencies

would you then be able to justify the way gear is priced and sold by alot of LDS's and would you be more prone to purchase gear from the internet?

One other thing to bear in mind is that warranties are not required for most items but when they are offered then some very specific federal regulations come into play. It is, for example, illegal to require that specific parts and specific service companies be used in order to maintain compliance and keep a warranty in effect unless both parts and service are free of charge to the consumer. Take the time to download Aqualung's US warranty from their web site and then also look into what the FTC has to say in regards to the Magnuson act concerning warranties.

Moogyboy:

cheers

Billy S.

"Makes Sense"?? Try being on the other side of the fence where you pay the same price for the regulator in Asia as in USA (purchase from authorised dealer) and it does not have the parts for life deal. I'm not talking about purchasing the stuff over the internet but a LDS. Though many manufacturers do not have direct ownership interest in the overseas distributors but they condone and support the business practise of these overseas authorised dealer. I had a friend who had to take a Apeks set back to England where the set was purchased for warranty work as the terms and conditions differ. Immagine walking into a McDonald overseas and you are being told they do not serve Big Mac, french fries or cola.

Tim Wong:
"Makes Sense"?? Try being on the other side of the fence where you pay the same price for the regulator in Asia as in USA (purchase from authorised dealer) and it does not have the parts for life deal. I'm not talking about purchasing the stuff over the internet but a LDS. Though many manufacturers do not have direct ownership interest in the overseas distributors but they condone and support the business practise of these overseas authorised dealer. I had a friend who had to take a Apeks set back to England where the set was purchased for warranty work as the terms and conditions differ. Immagine walking into a McDonald overseas and you are being told they do not serve Big Mac, french fries or cola.

I can imagine that...in some cultures they don't do meat. And it works the other way too: I was surprised to find that in Germany McDonald's serves beer. I'm sure they recoil at the idea of America, where you can't even have a beer with your Big Mac. :)

Seriously tho, I sympathize with you and I'm not condoning, or passing judgement either way, how Scubapro does its business. Only point I was trying to make was that SP's American distributor and SP's Asian distributor are two separate entities, and one of them offering a special program does not obligate the other to do the same. That's what makes sense to me, not the reasons for your distributor not offering it. A warranty is a basic requirement for ethical business; offering free parts is an extra added bonus that i'm guessing the US distrib cooked up as a marketing tactic. It would be nice if your guys offered it too, and I wish they would, but unfortunately they don't have to.

Keep in mind that all I'm going on is what I learned from Scubapro themselves. I could be dead wrong about everything. Who knows?

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom