Scubapro Vs Mares kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claytonxuereb

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, im confused... i want to buy my new diving gear and i have come to a conclusion between two packages... these are :

Scubapro : 1st stage din/int Mk17/395 reg + Oct R295 + seac sub BCD (First) + pressure gauge.

oR

Mares regulator Rover 12 attack din/int + octopus Mares proton + seac sub BCD (first) + Mission 1 pressure gauge.

Please! i need you help!!! The scubapro is priced abit more than the mares. but i really want to pick one from both. we live in a warm water enviromenet are we are planning to dive between 20- 50 meters. Thanks all.:confused:

Scubapro or mares people?????????????? so far scubapro is *your Favorite reguarding the 1st and second stage reg.

I personally like Mares, but its really a matter of preference. Both regs are going to perform about the same. Many people like Scuba Pro, but I have never used any of their regs.

The MK 17 is a superb first stage, the R395 is just average, but capable of good to very good performance depending on how it is tuned. For all intents and purpoises the R395 and R295 are identical in terms of internal parts. I am not a fan of detuned octos, so my advice is what ever octo you get, ask that it be tuned for minimum inhalation effort.

I am also a seious fan of the long hose primary (5' works great for recreational diving) and having the octo on a 22" to 26" hose on a bungee around your neck.

Unless you are diving cold water, the Mk 11 is a less expensive alternative that is just a Mk 17 without the sealed ambient chamber. For bit more mopney the S555, S600 and G250V second stages affer a lot more performance. The G250V is superb.

I am not a real big fan of package deals where the LDS sells a fixed package. It is common to sell packages as a means to get around minium pricing requirements. For example Scubapro may require a regulator to be sold at no less than $500 when the dealer cost is $250. So the LDS may package it with an different brand BC where dealer cost is also low, but where there is no minimum pricing. (which appears to be the case here). The end result is the dealer can "sell" the reg for the full minimum required price of $500 but then sell the BC at or under dealer cost to give the diver a much larger than nrmally allowed discount on the package including the regulator.

However, that could be done with any regulator and, as Scubapro allows a dealer to order either fixed packages or individual first and second stages, the dealer can give you essentially the same deal on any Scubapro regulator. Dealer cost varies a bit depending on the amount of sales the dealer has every year and it also varies a bit on the regulator models (dealer cost being lower percentage wise on high end regs compared to low end regs) but on average deaelr cost runs about have the suggested retail as an industry average. so if you estimate the actual dealer cost as being half the retail price, you will be in the ball park.

So...I'd counter offer on the package to perhaps save a little on the first stage by going with the Mk 11 unless you will be diving in water colder than 45 degrees, and I'd spend more money to get a balanced second stage as it will breathe noticeably better and serve you much better over the long term.

As for Msres, I am pretty predjudiced so take what I say with a grain of salt. Mares bought Dacor and then screwed Dacor owners hard when they dropped service and parts support for basically all Dacor regs except the few they kept in current production. I also had some very negative experiences getting parts from Mares even for Mares regs. It was an issue Mares eventually fixed, but Mares has overall never imnpressed me and their poor track record with long term support does not give me confidence about how they will treat their current regs over the long term.

In contrast Scubapro still supports nearly every reg it ever made in terms of annual service parts, and still provides 100% warranty upport on any reg bought through an authorized dealer by the original owner. In other words if they stop supporting your reg or can;t fix it they will replace it with a new model. For example I recently had a customer with a Mk 15 (out of production for perhaps 15 years) that had a material problem with the first stage body. As it was no longer available as a part, Scubapro replaced it with a new Mk 25 first stage as it was the first stage most comparable to (and actually a lot better than) the Mk 15.

When I see Mares provide that level of warranty service and support for a 15-20 year old Dacor or Mares reg, I will modify my opinion of them.

I agree completely. I would like to add that the Mk 11 is a much better comparison, since the Rover 12 has the ageless MR12 UNSEALED diaphragm first stage. The MR12 is a good first stage, especially now that Mares has FINALLY come up with a decent high pressure seat. But, IMO based upon my experience with Mares support, Scubapro is the preferred choice.

Dear Da Aquamaster... i will be also diving in cold water as our weather in malta is very nice,calm in winter, but about 12 degress celcius... I just asked scubapro an offer about the octopus and they said that they will supply me by the 1st stage mk 17/ r395 and also and octopus R395.... is this a good regulator? its my 1st buy guys...

As for Tuning, if i buy the R395 as an octopus aswell, do i have to ask them to de-tune it to the minimum inhalation effort ? No right? i can de-tune or tune it mysleph from the Side right?

I'm with DA on this one- if you can work with your shop to 'upgrade' your primary second stage to either an S600 or a G250V then you gain in both the areas of having a better performing (easier breathing) reg and you gain the ability to tune the reg to your liking using the adjustment knob on the side. With an R295/395 second stage you do not have the ability to change how much or little breathing resistance there is. That is something a reg tech needs to do. The process is not rocket science but it does require a bit of training on how things work inside a reg and the correct tools to disassemble, adjust, measure the adjustment and reassemble. The advantage to an adjustable second stage (S600/G250V) is that you, the user, have the ability to adjust on the fly. Diving into a strong current and your reg feels like it's starting to freeflow? You can increase the breathing resistance a bit to compensate for the current.

FWIW, I dove Mares regs for years but switched over to ScubaPro. In my opinion they breathe better, and around these parts at least, for a few years the only way to get service kits for Mares was to find a source on the black market. I hear that particular situation has improved overall. Also, AFAIK, Mares does not produce an adjustable second stage. That used to be true but I might be a bit out of touch with their current product line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom