ScubaPro Twin Jets REALLY Worth the Money????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iroc:
What do you guys think? My dive shop sells them for 160.00 with lifetime limitd warrenty. please help new diver who doesnt wanna get raped....... Thanks

If you are a flutter kick type of guy then split fins are the way to go, and twin jets are right up there with apollo bio fins, tusa x-pert zooms and other top split fins. (It comes down to fit and personal preference among those).

However, if you prefer to use the frog kick and backwards kick then go for a paddle fin (regular jets being one of the most popular choices for frog kickers).

See this page for frog kick, backwards kick and helicopter turn if you don't know what they are: http://www.divetekadventures.com/Images.htm

I personally didn't when I bought my splits, and when I learned about those kicks I also learned that my splits weren't good for them. Split fins are great for flutter kicking though, but I hardly use that anymoe so I ended up selling mine.

Think about what kind of diving you plan on doing. Split fins are the least versatile fins out there. They are great for flutter kicking in a straight line, not so great for everything else. If all your diving is on reefs, they will probably be fine but if you ever plan on diving in environments where kicking up the bottom is a concern, paddle fins are more appropriate.

7millimeter:
Also, I find your choice of metaphor [use of the word "rape"] to be offensive. I'm not sure if it's a violation of the terms of service, but it's certainly in pretty bad taste.
That's not a metaphor, it's one of the definitions of the word.

From http://www.answers.com/raped&r=67:
Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

Off topic but one of the beauties of English is the sheer size of the language giving the writer the ability to choose from many similar words each with a slightly different meaning. When we start finding words offensive simply because it can refer to an offensive act or idea, we lose some of our ability to express what we mean.

7millimeter:
According to your profile, you're not yet certified. Personally, I would wait a while before putting down that much coin on expensive fins.

Also, I find your choice of metaphor to be offensive. I'm not sure if it's a violation of the terms of service, but it's certainly in pretty bad taste.

Uh oh here we go someone is offended, I feel the censorship hammer hovering over...

There is a term I use quite often, "suck it up"

If your offended please just quit reading the thread no one is forcing you to read the content, I find the choice of words right on and I"m offended that your offended.

Now to answer the question, no don't buy them get regular jets.

The twin jets are great fins, I would get the black ones as they are the stiffest. You will hear the anti-split fin set pop up here but they are against all split fins, because they don't work as well for their style of diving. I find that they frog kick just fine, I can also helicopter and turn on a dime with them. You will really like the twin jets, if you are gonna dive a split fin I wouldn't go any other way. I own two pairs of jet fins and two pairs of twin jets finding them both to be satisfactory and each having their respective pros and cons.

I'd take a good look at Apollo Bios. I think they represent the ideal of split fins. One piece of solid rubber, and they're nice and floppy. Getting split fins and then getting stiff ones like Twin Jets to me defeats a lot of the gains you get from splits. They are supposed to feel effortless and propel you with a propeller action caused by the bending of the very floppy blades. Apollos do that very well and you can get them with excellent spring straps factory installed.

Stiff splits don't make sense to me. Just like a less efficient paddle. YMMV.

Let's stay on topic, please.

The topic is the author's question of worth/value of a type of fin.

The Kraken

If someone were to give me $180 to spend on fins I would buy a pair of simple Jetfins and give them back the remaining $100. That's me though.

Joe
(who happens to agree with Loosebits and Fixxervi6 and found a way to do so while remaining on topic)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom