Scubapro Smart Z, Galilleo Luna strap lack of quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coelacanthic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is it only me, but has anyone else had problem with substandard straps?
My original Aladin Sport strap lasted longer than my ownership.
Upgrading to a Smart Z resulted in having to replace every 24 months on average inspite of diligent freshwater rinses and storage away from uv light.
Had to upgrade to a Gallileo Luna as agents claimed it was irrepairible as the battery moved, (6 months after service and sender battery replacement. Then claimed the new sender was not the one sold to me originally when problems arose.
I have relaced the Luna strap beginning of 2021 after minimal use due to Covid lockdown. Now, July 2021, the strap has broken after about 8 dives. It had been stored in the supplied case. The straps seem unable to withstand being stretched or bent.
Many years back, I am sure I saw a webbing strap for the computers.
This lack of quality of Scubapro equipment, makes me happy that I am still in a time warp and use mainly Poseidon, Oceanic and Aqualung equipment.
Find Mares BCs and plastic compents also suffer from UV, chlorine degradation failure.
Any similar experiences?

The Galileos have been notorious for poorly constructed straps. My wife's Luna fell off during a dive in Kota Kinabalu. We were fortunate to find it a few days later. I replaced both mine and hers with bungees.

My G2 strap broke after about 40 dives and only a little over a year old. Used some extra bungie I had and that fixed it. Not worth paying $30 for a new strap when a few cents worth of bungie works better.

I have had five strap failures between two Lunas over the years,

After the last round I purchase an extra strap as a contingency, and of course it has been rock-solid ever since (go-figure). The screen went out on one, and the original transmitter was a total POS. However; after all the repairs, warranty replacements, and frustration, I have to say that I really love my Luna now that everything is straight. The unit has been super-reliable, the algorithm is awesome, and I am a huge fan of the large easy-to-read display and simple layout.

Pretty sure something will happen to it again now that I've jinxed it... :rolleyes:

Yes, the scubapro straps are poorly designed. I've taken to replacing it annually since they break without warning. Fortunately, they're not super expensive.

Yes, the scubapro straps are poorly designed. I've taken to replacing it annually since they break without warning. Fortunately, they're not super expensive.
I have decided to ditch scubapro due to problems with their crappy products, agent service, pricing etc.
I made a strap out of an old (ancient???) Draeger harness gut strap. Buckle salvaged from the strap, holes fashioned with a soldering iron, glued with Aquaseal and clamped in a vice and sewn with a leather needle. Know the webbing is good quality as it has lasted from at least 1980. Threading it through the 2 retaining pins extra safety in case of pin quality failure. Was using a strap fashioned from an inner tube as temporary fix while waiting for replacement. improvement on duct tape and cable ties.

I've been planning to ditch the galilleos once I put together the cash for a pair of shearwaters with AI and transmitters. Two computers and two transmitters is a low priority when the old one works albeit with a crappy display and sketchy strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom