• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Scubapro Seawing Nova

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by sbijou, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jupitermermaid

jupitermermaid Divemaster

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Love Simon and Garfunkle. but I don't think they were singing about SP Seawings. If they were, they'd be singing, "All this and more, never had fins that performed this well before." IJS :D

2. Jak Crow

Jak Crow Photographer

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I rented the nova fins from a LDS a few weeks ago because I've wanted to try these fins for a while now. Damn, they were fast and extremely low effort for me. I was so impressed with them that I've bought my own pair.

3. Deep Water Dan

Deep Water Dan Solo Diver

My wife and I both have a pair, mine broke at the ribs yesterday after 91 dives. Just looked at my wife's and one of hers is beginning to develop a crack at the ribs. LDS is going to get me a replacement pair, supposedly SP has redesigned them and the replacements have been reinforced. Both the pull tabs on my wife's straps broke. That said, we really like them.

4. bilsant

bilsant Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I just don't log dives

I broke the rib on my third pair (in two years) this past weekend. While the LDS tells me I'm the only one, I'm not sure that is the case. Apparently it's enough of a problem that Scubapro is sending me a pair of their new Novas which have been redesigned to eliminate the rib failures. I'm hopeful this fix will resolve the issue because I really like the way the fins handle for me. But if this doesn't work I'm giving up on them. I'm only willing to wreck so many dives...

Like you I tend to go out in the surf and current...and tend to have a wide kick.

Thanks for posting..I thought it was just me!

5. *dave*

*dave* Instructor, Scuba

I've been using these fins in the pool for a couple months now, maybe 60 sessions. My usual fin is a Jet and I still use those for OW.

For pool use, they are tolerable. They are lighter than my Jet Fins, so I can hover without having to scull to keep my feet from dropping. There is a workable loading surface on the SWN, but you have to move slow or the turned up edge will cause the fin to deflect and the loading surface will generate thrust. I can get a back kick out of them that is barely workable. The stroke needs to be long, smooth and slow.

Better than a split, more efficient than a paddle, but still not a substitute for my Jet Fins.

6. bilsant

bilsant Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Just got the new replacements. LDS had them back in about a week. They've been redesigned with a more solidly reinforced section along the top ribs...flat and not grooved like the earlier models. I've had them out twice and don't really notice much difference in performance. Hope these last a bit longer...

7. flyboy107@gmail.com

flyboy107@gmail.com Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Hey Rodman4085, what dive shop did you go to to try these on? i live in Wisconsin too, and there is a Underwater Connection in Hales Corners near me, and i was wondering if they let you test dive gear, like these fins.

8. chmtklein

chmtklein Angel Fish

I am on my third pair of the Scubapro Seawing Nova fins. Current lifespan for my utilization has not exceeded 6 months each pair. My buddies and I do some pretty extreme diving over on O'ahu's East & North Shores. Nevertheless, I absolutely love and will continue to dive them for the rest of my days!

#1 pair ripped at both hinge points during a boat dive at Sea Cave (Hawai'i Kai, O'ahu). Since then, I only "giant stride" from the boat - and then . . . put the fins on in the water.

#2 pair ripped at a single hinge point at Electric Beach (West Shore - O'ahu) yesterday (Saturday, 26 MAR 2011). The ripped fin continued to function - however, with significantly reduced propulsion/thrust.

Both times, the local Scubapro dealer "Dive O'ahu" replaced them without a single question - the fins carry a lifetime warranty.

Also - the fins are quite buoyant! For hovering mid-water and photography . . . they're phenomenal once you get used to the feel. However, during a stationary (grounded on the ocean floor) Manta Dive on the Big Island (Hawai'i) - their buoyancy kept panting me face first into the ocean floor. This type of dive would require serious ankle weights or a weight belt draped across one's ankles. I finally removed the fins and clipped them to my chest strap. Don't let go or lose control . . . they will float to the surface.

CAUTION! - if you do not have a reputable Scubapro Dealer (who will exchange or replace on the spot) or youÂ’re unable to replace them in a timely manner (i.e. you don't have a backup pair of fins handy), I would avoid them like the plague. I thank God they did not rip on my recent week long trip to the Big Island (Hawai'i). Due to weight and limited baggage - I did not carry a backup pair of fins.

9. Deep Water Dan

Deep Water Dan Solo Diver

Have you received any of the new style as replacements, or does your shop give you the old style? Curious if you're breaking the new type. We just got my wife's replaced, also. She broke the old style and they replaced them with the new style.

10. jupitermermaid

jupitermermaid Divemaster

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    The new style is much better, as the top part on the hinges are now solid. Performance is the same, but they're tougher now. I can't see these breaking like the original ones. Yes, it is definitely best to deal with reputable SP dealers! The only way to dive!