Scubapro S109 BA conversion not going well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you need the shorter balance chamber...
Ok, any idea which one is required?

But I am skeptical about that. The Balance chamber is 19mm long, the stem of the poppet it sits on is 18mm. Not going to make a difference. The assemble is about 5mm too long as is.

it doesn't look like it should be longer once assembled with the spring between the balance chamber and the poppet?

1721670568664.png

OMG, I missed it being put together wrong.... I had to go back and look at the picture again...

Too funny.

It works properly once assembled properly. I got it to about 1.5" on the magnehelic without much effort.

As for my mistake, the S109 build pattern has the spring behind the poppet. But you are basically converting to a G250, where the spring goes between the poppet and added balance chamber. I just kept on the S109 pattern and should have double checked the G250 schematic.

The first regulator is working really well now, but I did hit one other issue. One of two small bolts that hold the chromed rims together snapped when I started screwing it down. It should not be so easy to break a steel bolt, so I don't really trust the rest of these 50+ year old parts.

The exhaust valves were fossilized and crumbled, but I have some Conshelf parts that I was able to substitute.

I'll need to find some replacement bolts. I'll try a local store before ordering a bag of 50 from McMaster-Carr.

The first regulator is working really well now, but I did hit one other issue. One of two small bolts that hold the chromed rims together snapped when I started screwing it down. It should not be so easy to break a steel bolt, so I don't really trust the rest of these 50+ year old parts.

I'll need to find some replacement bolts. I'll try a local store before ordering a bag of 50 from McMaster-Carr.
Be aware that the clamp screws come in a few variations.
The drive can be slotted, hex, & phillips head but most important is that there are both metric and American threaded versions of the clamps and so the screws are not universal fit.

I've wired the clamps together with SS safety wire. Not that you should do anything like that, but it worked for a long time.
Well, there you go. I put it together wrong.

RTFM for the win. I will verify soon.
Well that is pretty dumb. However I dove for at least 10 dives with a second stage that had intermittent performance problems and finally took it apart and found 2/3 of a pencil eraser in the orifice that would shift positions and cause flow restrictions. I had used a pencil to push out the orifice I think and never noticed I broke the eraser off in there when reassembled.

I've wired the clamps together with SS safety wire. Not that you should do anything like that, but it worked for a long time.

Well that is pretty dumb. However I dove for at least 10 dives with a second stage that had intermittent performance problems and finally took it apart and found 2/3 of a pencil eraser in the orifice that would shift positions and cause flow restrictions. I had used a pencil to push out the orifice I think and never noticed I broke the eraser off in there when reassembled.
The lesson is that stupidity knows no bounds!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom