Scubapro O-ring Sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did SP switched some of their O-rings from Duro 85 to 70 in later years? I noticed a slight difference in duro between Superstar's attachment and Awap's compiled list. Not sure if the difference is significant?

My list is just my guess at hardness. Based on feel and what I believe to be suitable for the application. Some folks believe it is better to make maximum use of duro 90 o-rings. While it is possible for an o-ring to not make a reliable seal because it is too hard, I doubt if we would see that much. I just find duro 70 (or 75 depending on availability) to be easy to work with and readily available from a number of sources in affordable quantities. While I swear by a duro 90 on the HP piston seal, I took a "new" Mk5 apart today and that o-ring felt softer to me than I expected and I am pretty sure it was an original o-ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I "transcribed" superstar's chart into Excel & PDF format.
Anybody cares to proof it?

Attachments

• Scubapro o-rings chart.pdf
    216.1 KB · Views: 953
  • Scubapro o-rings chart.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 795
Zung, Dude youre awesome. I had to have my 12 year old daughter scan the charts for me and post them here for us. Thanks for the easy to read format.

Glad to have the opportunity to pay this board back, after all the knowledge that I've stolen from here.
Here's a version that's sorted by SP part #, the previous one is sorted by size.

Attachments

• Scubapro o-rings chart by SP#.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 804
  • Scubapro o-rings chart by SP#.pdf
    216.1 KB · Views: 1,261
A couple comments for discussion:

I noticed that the 4/98 Scubapro chart posted by Superstar has 3 o-rings

The last 3 o-rings listed as p/n 363, 323 and 360 are shown under the "SIZE N" column as 5-101, 5-125, & 5-179. Those size designations appear to be Parker Seals designations for nonstandard dimensions for which Parker tooling is available. At least, the first 2 agree with the Parker size chart but the third is off a bit. The SP chart shows the 5-179 (SP p/n 360) as a 6mm by 1mm but the Parker chart shows it as 6.07mm by 1.02mm (A small difference but the only one that is not a precise match.) The SP chart also seems to have switched the p/n on the first 2. The smaller o-ring used to seal balance chambers should be the SP p/n 363 (aka 399 on older schematics) and the other that is used on the D-series poppet is the SP p/n 323. It would not be the first time I have seen errors like this in SP schematics.

First off, the easier one. The SP o-rings, p/n 360, which are shown in a 3/99 D400 schematic as used to seal the D400 replaceable orifice. These o-rings do not show in a 12/97 D400/350/300 schematic so I guess the replaceable orifice came along after that. So, if you are dealing with a D400, you may have to disassemble a bit to determine whether you need those o-rings or not. Those o-rings are not in the current D400 kit but do look like they are in the older (small, hard plastic package) kit. I think this goes along with DAAquamaster's description of a mid-production change in the D400. (Eyeballing those o-rings through the plastic case, they sure don't look to be 1mm either. They look much thicker. So I don't know what is going on here.)

Next, the small balance chamber o-rings, SP p/n 363 (aka 399). They show on the 4/98 chart as being 2.54mm by 0.97mm which is the size of the Parker Seal 5-101. (I remember looking at the Parker chart and thinking that might be a candidate when I was trying to find that o-ring) On another SP document, the kit table p/n 45-078-101, dtd 03/2002) which was packed in service kits a few years ago; the SP o-ring p/n 363 shows as being 2.2mm ID and 1mm wide. I was surprised to see it as being 2.54mm ID and 0.97 in the SP 4/98 chart. )It made me especially worried as I provided the 2.2 x 1 size for the buy that a group of us made. I hope I didn't screw us up.) So I got out my newly acquired el cheapo calipers and samples from old (used, blue) 363/399, new, from Scubapro, 363, and new from our group buy 2.2 x 1 orings. I decided the caliper was just not precise enough to made a reliable measurement trying to detect a 0.3mm difference so I set out to find gap that these o-rings would just slip through. After doing this a couple times, I concluded that the older. blue o-rings are slightly larger than the other two. That is, when I got down to the critical where some when through and some did not, the blue one got stuck every time and the other 2 slipped through. I then repeated this with the 2 new o-rings and did not find any difference. That is, they either both slipped through or both did not. So, I think we are OK with our 2.2 X 1 generics but looking forward to someone confirming this in a regulator.

Finally, if anyone has any help in confirming the actual size of the SP o-ring p/n 360, I'm sure some D400 owners will be grateful.

couv once sent me a SP metric o-ring chart that confirms the 363 is 2.2 x 1.0 mm

That is the one I am talking about. But, like I said, I have seen errors in SP documentation before and we do seem to have 2 conflicting SP documents. Now it may well be the case that both sizes will work and tha SP actually made the size change. Who knows???

NJDiver07866 said here he did a season with 2.5.

So both may work; 2.5 are easier to get.

What's a "SP doc about metric sizes?" Is that an official SP sizing chart in metric?
Thanks for the confirmation Zung!

Sorry I missed your question. It's the one awap referred to and provided in tabular form, and yes it's official even though there's no P/N in the copy couv sent me.

Back
Top Bottom