Apeks O-ring sizes - another thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you don't have access to service kits, the temptation to crosswalk o-rings is strong. But Scubapro, Aqualung and Apeks use a lot of "non-standard" sizes, at least for US folks used to AS568 standards. There are at least a half dozen threads here on SB that touch on Apeks sizing. I won't list them, because my concern has been the sheer number of small errors.
On top of that, Apeks has recently adopted the "RG" numbering system used by their 1997 purchaser/parent, Aqualung.
And worse, the RG number listed on the new schematic is the number for the "10-pack" of o-rings, which doesn't match the number on the Service Kit card.
You want more? The sizing diagram, complete with a ruler that tells you exactly how large to print the page, STILL doesn't exactly match the actual orings, when you're sorting through the kit.
20221018_144153.jpg

IMG_20221018_200500.jpg

The attached spreadsheet is the result of micrometer measurements of every o-ring in several new service kits. I've included my estimate of o-ring durometer, despite the "common knowledge" that Apeks uses all EPDM duro 80. That's clearly not true if you feel the DIN o-ring, but nevermind.
Hopefully this will show where you can use AS568 o-rings, and where you might need to go searching for a metric, a British Standard metric (BS4518), a British Standard 1806 o-ring, or even a few ISO 3601 parts. ALL listed measurements are in millimeters.

I don't claim that this is definitive. This is definitely a "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" product, especially for dynamic seals. But it's an attempt to clean up some of the gaps I've noted in existing spreadsheets, where the listed substitution just doesn't match the kit closely enough for my comfort as a DIY'er. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Apeks_ORings_Measured.xlsx
    10.6 KB · Views: 336
  • Apeks-O-rings-ID.pdf
    307.7 KB · Views: 272
The attached spreadsheet is the result of micrometer measurements of every o-ring in several new service kits. I've included my estimate of o-ring durometer, despite the "common knowledge" that Apeks uses all EPDM duro 80. That's clearly not true if you feel the DIN o-ring, but nevermind.
Hopefully this will show where you can use AS568 o-rings, and where you might need to go searching for a metric, a British Standard metric (BS4518), a British Standard 1806 o-ring, or even a few ISO 3601 parts. ALL listed measurements are in millimeters.

I don't claim that this is definitive. This is definitely a "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" product, especially for dynamic seals. But it's an attempt to clean up some of the gaps I've noted in existing spreadsheets, where the listed substitution just doesn't match the kit closely enough for my comfort as a DIY'er. Enjoy!

The moral of the story for me, and for MANY other people, just get the authorized service kit from the manufacturer and forget about the risks, ???, uncertainties, worries, second thoughts, guilty feelings, etc.

The moral of the story for me, and for MANY other people, just get the authorized service kit from the manufacturer and forget about the risks, ???, uncertainties, worries, second thoughts, guilty feelings, etc.

And zero fun. It's all about the hunt. And this forum is about DIY, just saying. With respect.

A while back I noticed similar as well. I just ended up making my own chart. See attached. Just make sure it is printed at 100% scale

Seems to be in line with what you have

Also attached the CAD drawing if anyone wants the native file also has JJ oring in the background (full disclaimer I am not a drafter just can do the basics)

Attachments

• Apeks o ring drawing.pdf
    33.3 KB · Views: 230
  • JJ CCR O ring drawings.dwg
    4.7 MB · Views: 161
Not to beat a dead horse but anyone who is prone to "uncertainties, worries, second thoughts, guilty feelings, etc." I'd agree with you.

If I am working on a regulator for my little daughter or son, I have lots of these if I don't do it right or not get the right parts.

And this forum is about DIY, just saying. With respect.

Yes, DIY but not about not using the improper parts or substituting what doesn't work or if the wrong specs. I did not make any comments against DIY, merely not using the proper parts.

Well, let's add more data to the debate...
Here are three o-rings.
#1 is the AP1299 from an old Apeks 0241-AA kit I opened two days ago. I said, "Whaaaat?"
#2 is the AP1299 from a new Apeks RT141112 kit
#3 is a generic 2-006 o-ring
20221018_143820.jpg

Which one doesn't match?
An "official" kit o‐ring!!
Even the manufacturers make mistakes...
Jes' sayin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom