Scubapro MK5 Refurb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flfishhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Have a Scubapro MK5 regulator (with adjustable second stage) that I have owned (purchased new) since the early '70's. I have recently moved back to Florida and am getting back into diving (after a very long layoff). Am interested in having the MK5 reconditioned. Have spoken to one or two dive shops in the area, but just got negative feedback (ie not worth it). After reading some of the threads in this forum, I have become somewhat more optimistic. So, have several questions I was hoping someone could help me with:
1) Is it, if fact, feasible (assuming, of course, the cost is somewhat reasonable) to get this refurb job done? The metal parts are still in very good condition, with no visible signs of corrosion. Would have to get all "rubber" parts (ie everything that is not metal) replaced.
2) Are there still replacement parts for this vintage regulator available (that wouldn't be "years old" themselves)?
3) Are there any reliable shops that I could send the regulator to for this purpose? Not sure I could find anyone in my immediate area (NW Florida) that would/could do the job.
4) Is this, after all, just a bad idea?

Any comments from you folks would be appreciated.

1. yes, odds are a standard rebuild is all it needs.

2.yes, both official SP parts and aftermarket parts are readily available

3. I don't know if Bryan at Vintage Double hose does single hose regs or not but can't hurt to ask. www.vintagedoublehose.com , He is in the Tampa area. I know he has aftermarket service kits. If not give these guys a call, odds are they will and are a first rate shop to boot. AirTech Scuba Services: Your life support equipment is our priority.

4. Not a bad idea at all, the MK-5/109 is about as good as a single hose gets, even by todays standards. Anyone who tells you different is trying to make a sale.

5. Learn to do it yourself, the MK-5/109 is fairly easy to do, only a couple of inexpensive special tools needed and there is a huge community of DIY MK-5/109 fans here to help you along.

Yes thats an awesome reg which you can still put in business. As I post we are driving from a dive where I used a set of MK5 s 109 and Air 1 on my doubles. Still working strong. I rebuilt them this spring and used the while summer with no issues. Do not believe anyone who will say they are not worth it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351363266.337639.jpg

If you have only two LP fittings on the swivel you will probably want to look for a replacement, since you will need at least three (2nd stage, SPG and BC) and probably another for an additional 2nd stage. They show up regularly on ebay. I'd also suggest a stainless steel turret bolt, which were available from Vintage Double Hose for about $15. I vacation travel with an updated Mk.5 that I've owned since the early 70s, paired with a 109 balanced adjustable 2nd stage like yours, updated to G250 specs. The regulator breathes as well as anything currently available, and is a lot better looking.

Have spoken to one or two dive shops in the area, but just got negative feedback (ie not worth it).

Considering that the MK-5/ 109 regulator is one of the best all time regulators… the only explanation for that kind of response is either due to ignorance or due to lower profit than selling you a new regulator (which requires yearly service to keep the warranty, another profit source), or a combination of both. In either case, the shops are not making a good impression IMO.

You may want to upgrade some of the components of that regulator, but I surely would not replace it with a new plastic (second stage) regulator.

Bryan at Vintage Double Hose can service it for you.

You may also want to locate the newer heavier yoke and a the swivel multiple ports (if you only have the two port swivel).

Last edited:
This is all great stuff! The regulator already has the four LP port swivel as well as the upgraded 3000 psi yoke. So should be a good one when I get it reconditioned. Guess I need to get in touch with Vintage Double hose. (Will also look into doing the job myself later.) Thanks very much, guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom