Scubapro MK17/S600 or MK25/S600 for warm water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sameer.oundhakar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All

I've been diving for a couple of years and am slowly buying my own equipment. The next on my list to buy is a regulator set and I'm considering buying either the Scubapro MK17/S600 or the MK25/S600.

Given the limited dealer network where I live in the Middle East, Scubapro and Aqualung are really my only choices as far as brands go.

My diving is limited to warm water and is very rarely deeper than 30 meters. I dont see myself getting into cold water diving / tec diving anytime soon either.

The MK25/S600 combo is about $100 more than the MK17/S600. Am I likely to notice any difference between these two for the diving that I usually do? If not, I'd rather get the cheaper MK17/S600 combo even though it is supposedly meant for cold water use and I wont be doing any cold water diving.

Also, is the cost of servicing likely very different for these two regulators.

Finally, are there any other suggestions I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Mk17 will be fine. Heck, many divers prefer mk17 over mk25. I thought they were priced about the same, is the mk17 on sale?

The MK17 might actually be a better choice, simply because it's a diaphragm regulator. Especially if you are diving in the (rather dirty) Mediterranean. Less buildup of dirt in it while diving :)

sealed (to me) means much "happier" for things like salt intrusion..... For "recreational" diving, there is likely no perceivable difference between the 25 & the 17... the turret on the 25 may be "better" for hose routing, but I wouldn't pick it for that reason alone...

Check the service cost for each through your LDS....

I like my 17's.... but I am a cold water junkie..

I have MK17 and MK25 (both with A700 second stages) and a MK11/S555 with the S600 metal air barrel and adjustment upgrade kit installed. With regards to ease of breathing and cracking effort, I can't tell which I am using while diving.

I'd get the Mk17/S600.

Don't know if you have decided yet, but I have both. Blindfold me, and I cannot tell the difference.
As mentioned, the only difference is the turret IMO.
I use the MK17 as my primary and the 25 just sits in my footlocker and is used when I travel.
Also, I just replied to a thread about divestock as a source. I know them personally. they are a brick and mortar LDS, not just internet and good guys.
Let me know if I can help you further.
m

The next on my list to buy is a regulator set and I'm considering buying either the Scubapro MK17/S600 or the MK25/S600.

My diving is limited to warm water and is very rarely deeper than 30 meters. I dont see myself getting into cold water diving / tec diving anytime soon either.

The MK25/S600 combo is about $100 more than the MK17/S600. Am I likely to notice any difference between these two for the diving that I usually do? If not, I'd rather get the cheaper MK17/S600 combo even though it is supposedly meant for cold water use and I wont be doing any cold water diving.

Also, is the cost of servicing likely very different for these two regulators.
I prefer the MK25 due these the facts:

* The MK25 can deliver more air than the MK17 because it is a piston vs diaphragm design.
* The MK25 has the swivel for the 5 low pressure ports, allowing for better, more streamline hose alignment.
* The repair kit for the MK25 is almost half the cost of the repair kit for MK17
* The MK25 has a longer history, 40+ years. It's evolution has been impressive, beginning with my 1st reg. the MK5. They have served me well for over 40 years of diving.

Casey, are you saying you can notice more delivery from the MK25 over the MK17?

The lower port seems only really any good if diving long hose (single tank) so if diving "standard" hose configuration it's of no use (?) Although I guess it would be useful if DS diving. Take this with a pinch of salt as I've only recently acquired my MK25 and am still playing with ports.

More air...come on Casey. Sure, it's technically true, but in practice the delivery is the same to a diver. It's not like you'll have 208 second stages at once...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom