Scubapro MK10, Learning to work on Regs., need tool advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’ve been diving for a few short years here, mostly while on leave. I want to learn as much as I can about Reg. maintenance and repair. I’m new at this sport. I need some guidance before I purchase a tool kit from Scuba tools. I recently purchased, and I’ve been reading Vance Harlow’s book: Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair. I have a Scubapro MK10 as my learning subject (victim). I’m in Afghanistan, and I’ll be here for about a year. I don’t have access to a cylinder for air, and basic tools are a real SOB to get my hands on. So I’ll be limited to what I can do here. Basically, I want to learn while I have a bunch of free time. The MK10 is probably the only reg. I’ll wrench on while I’m here, but I do have my MK25/s600 set with me, as well as an MK2/R390. I also have an old 108 that I planned to mate with the MK10, but I might upgrade that in the future. I have all of my diving gear with me, with the exception of a Cylinder. I’ll be traveling to Thailand and/or the PI on leave here in a few months, and at the end of my year here, and that’s why I have my gear with me. I’m considering completing my Dive master training, and staying in Asia for a while, possibly working at a dive shop. These skils might be helpful. Who knows? I currently have a multi-tool (Gerber) and a set of Allen wrenches with me. Below is a list of tools I’m considering purchasing. I’m a little concerned about weight, as my bags are getting heavy. I’m looking for some feedback, and suggestion. Have selected the right tools, have I over-done it, have I left something out? I'd also like to get a LP Gauge, but I won't be able to use it here. Thanks in advance.
1” Yoke Nut Socket #SKU: 20-155-500 $21.00
3”x3/8” drive extension #SKU: 20-156-500 $8.00
Scubapro Mk5/MK10 o’ring tool kit #SKU: 20-275-400 $18.00
First stage handle #SKU: 20-116-200 $21.00
OTC Snap ring pliers #SKU: 10-101-500 $17.00
Scubapro Multi tool #SKU: 200-100-200 $35.00
Scubapro Piston Bullet #SKU: 20-140-100 6.00
O’ring pick set #SKU: 10-102-100 12.50
3/8” Drive dial Torque wrench #SKU: 79-600-700 $165.00

I understand a ultrasonic cleaner can be useful. See Harbor Freight

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

1” Yoke Nut Socket #SKU: 20-155-500 $21.00
3”x3/8” drive extension #SKU: 20-156-500 $8.00
Scubapro Mk5/MK10 o’ring tool kit #SKU: 20-275-400 $18.00
First stage handle #SKU: 20-116-200 $21.00
OTC Snap ring pliers #SKU: 10-101-500 $17.00
Scubapro Multi tool #SKU: 200-100-200 $35.00
Scubapro Piston Bullet #SKU: 20-140-100 6.00
O’ring pick set #SKU: 10-102-100 12.50
3/8” Drive dial Torque wrench #SKU: 79-600-700 $165.00

That is more tools than you will need for your Mk10/2/25 and your 2nds. You will have no use for snap ring pliers with any of those regs. And that torque wrench is much more expensive than you need. (I ended up with 2 torque wrenches to cover the 22 ft-lb on the high end and the 40 +/- inch-lb on the low end for less than that price - ebay.) Yoke nut socket, bullet tool, and pick set are good. I made my own yoke nut socket for about $5 and some make their own bullet tool. Most standard extensions work fine. 1st stage handles can be fabricated if you even need one. I use old hose ends. The multitool is handy but work arounds are available.

I'm sure there are a number of folks here who would be happy to help if you need any. Stay safe.

To service the MK10, you really need the following (IMO)

1. o-ring picks, the best are the double hook ones. Very useful for removing the old HP o-ring.
2. A spanner; the SP multi tool is a good overall choice
3. A piston bullet; you can use a correctly sized dowel, but the scubatools bullet is not expensive and it doesn't weigh much.
4. Allen wrenches
5. IP gauge

You don't need the o-ring insertion tool; I suspect it's fairly useful but it's not bad to work around it. I use a plastic straw to squeeze and hold the o-ring for insertion (I learned that one from awap) and a combination of chopsticks and/or the handle from the o-ring pick to push it in place.

The yoke socket is a good choice. I have a home made one, but the scubatools one is probably a lot nicer.

The handle is not necessary IMO. You do need access to a vice. I have used an old LP hose fitting from a bad hose (just cut the old hose off) to hold the reg at times.

You don't need the snap ring pliers for the MK10. You need them for the MK15.

The torque wrench is a bit of a dilemma. The Scubatools one is very expensive, but it does cover both important values for the MK10; 35-45in/lbs for the turret bolt and 300in/lbs for the yoke nut. I cheaped out and bought a 1/4" drive that goes to 250in/lbs. I get a decently accurate result for the turret bolt, and close enough for the yoke retainer. If you don't mind spending that kind of money for a torque wrench, go for it, but there are cheaper alternatives that will get the job done.

However, you're not going get far without an IP gauge and access to a cylinder. You also need some lube; everyone's using PTFE grease like christolube or tribolube. Silicone will still work just fine, for air anyhow.

As far as the second stage goes, consider getting a 109; they really are much better IMHO than the 108, and the 109 is a 2nd stage that really allows you to take advantage of the MK10's excellent performance. Other good choices would be an older G250, G200B, G500, or D300/350/400. In terms of simplicity of service coupled with excellent performance it's very very difficult to beat the 109. That's why they're still really popular. Couv, a SB regular, has rebuilt and re-chromed several of these regs and they're beautiful. If SP came out with a re-issue of that exact reg it would cost hundreds.

Good luck with everything; I'm sure others will chime in and pick up where I left off!

Thank you very much for the information. I have to agree that they are a bit proud of their torque wrench. I'll shop eBay until I find a good inch/pound wrench at a fair price. So, my Scuba-tools shopping list will look something like:
O'ring picks, double hook
Scubapro Multi-Tool SKU: 200-100-200 ($35.00)
Piston Bullet SKU: 20-140-100 ($6.00)
Scubapro Yoke Nut & the drive extension ($21.00 plus $8.00) That brings me to about $70.00 total before the lube. About the lube: You said the Christo Lube is over priced? What would you suggest? I looked at the DOW #7 silocone. What are your thoughts? I'm basically going to strip this MK10, and put it back a few times until I've got it down. In Thailand, I hope I can talk nice at the dive shop, and convince them to sell me parts kits. I've spent money at a number of the shops (dive trips & certification, rash shirts, etc.) and it's likely that I'll be able to pull it off. They want my business. :wink: I want to apear like I know what I'm talkng about & I have the tools to do it. Yes, I know the 108 isn't the best. I have the MK2/R390 as a back-up to my MK25/s600. The MK10/108 is more a learning project. I'm sure I'll part with the 108 in time. What would you suggest as a "store bought" LP Gauge? I don't have accss to stores here, as everything is bought by internet. Thanks again.

You've got great advise from the usual suspects.

I've this to add: vise and port handle don't travel well, and I don't even use them at home: I just put the reg on a padded surface, step on it and undo/redo the yoke nut that way.
Another thought: if you can afford the Scubatools torque wrench, go for it; like awap, I use 2 at home, a 1/8" and a 1/4" but the weight does add up, and, again, not travel frendly.

Outside of the US, I don't think there's any issue getting the parts.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I've seen a photo or two here of a guy stepping on a 1st, with wrench in hand. :shocked2: Finding an inch/pound wrench on eBay isn't difficult, but finding a small lite one, with 0-300 Inch/pound is a bit harder than I thought. I might end up buying the over-price scuba tool wrench, but I'd rather not. (times are tough) Thanks again.

Do you have the schematics with the torque values? I would be lost without those (but I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I can't just go on "instinct").

Yes, those schematics are both helpful and confusing, but I only run on "instinct" when I'm in Phuket, and then only for the first few days. :) I've been out a few times with "Sea World", and Marina Diver's, and one trip with "Sun Rise Diver's" or whatever name Sun Rise is using now. Good shops all of them. By any chance, could you suggest a good shop in the Kata Beach area that services "Scubapro"?

Yes, those schematics are both helpful and confusing, but I only run on "instinct" when I'm in Phuket, and then only for the first few days. :) I've been out a few times with "Sea World", and Marina Diver's, and one trip with "Sun Rise Diver's" or whatever name Sun Rise is using now. Good shops all of them. By any chance, could you suggest a good shop in the Kata Beach area that services "Scubapro"?
I did my ScubaPro technician training with Dive Supply, who are the ScubaPro distributors here, so that's where I go for service kits, etc.. However, you can't just walk in there since it's wholesale, so you'd need somebody in the industry to take you in. They're not in Kata, though--they're in Chalong (about 10 minutes away from Kata).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom