Scubapro Mantis M1 opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UFOrb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I've been struggling to find many user reviews for the Mantis M1 so was hoping for some feedback if anyone has dived with one.
Basically I want a watch-sized computer (up to £300) as a first computer that I can use as a watch whilst one holiday as I don't have a watch. Some of its other functions may be useful too, although I'm very unlikely to use the Human Factor Diving feature! I only do rec diving on holidays at this stage so don't need any really advanced features for tech diving.
I narrowed my search down from online reviews so haven't actually held or played with one -the nearest shop with them in stock is some distance away (the local LDCs tend to focus on Suunto).
Another contender in a similar price range (in the UK at least) is the Oceanic Geo 2.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rob

The Geo is popular and well thought-of amongst members here. I don't see too many people talking about having the SP M1 (or M2). I have been using the Atom 3.0 for 2 years and it is pretty much the same as the Geo, but with wireless air integration included.

I like the DSAT algorithm that is available in the Geo. You can set it to be more conservative (or even to use the PZ+ algorithm, which is built in, too, and is more conservative than DSAT), but if you leave it on its default, I don't know of any other algorithm that gives longer NDLs on a consistent basis.

Thanks for your reply Stuart.

I don't see too many people talking about having the SP M1 (or M2)

Perhaps this means that they haven't been popular, or that they just do what they do well, not outstanding or poor, so don't draw outpourings of praise or distain online. 'Expert' reviews I've read all seem to be positive...

I like the DSAT algorithm that is available in the Geo. You can set it to be more conservative (or even to use the PZ+ algorithm, which is built in, too, and is more conservative than DSAT), but if you leave it on its default, I don't know of any other algorithm that gives longer NDLs on a consistent basis.

From my research, this is one of the things I like about Oceanic DCs. I like the look of the Atom 3.0, but I'm unlikely to use the wireless AI so couldn't really justify the extra cost. EDIT: I've just checked online and have seen the Atom 3.1 for roughly the same price as the Geo 2 & Mantis M1. Hmmm, tempting...I presume the space where the AI info is would just be blank if you're not using it?

I believe SP tend to be on the more liberal spectrum too, or at least somewhere in the middle...

Last edited:
If you want an idea of how conservative or liberal it is, you can look at the last post here:

So you want to buy a new computer?

There are links to the 2014 and 2016 ScubaLabs computer tests. 2014 has the SP Chromis and 2016 has the Mantis 2.0. I think those both use the same algorithm as the Mantis (1.0). It looks like the Mantis is on the conservative end of the spectrum.

An Atom for roughly the same price sounds like a great deal. I like wireless AI a lot. Having all my dive data, including tank pressure, in one place is really nice. But, also, having the gas consumption data collected for me, so I can review it in detail and see my SAC after the dive is also very appealing to me. In fact, I like wireless AI so much I currently own 3 computers that have it (Perdix AI, Atom 3.0, and Hollis TX-1). They all use the same transmitters, so it's totally convenient.

I don't know for sure how the Atom handles it if you don't have a transmitter, as I've always had one. But, I'm pretty sure you are correct - that spot would just be blank.

An Atom for roughly the same price sounds like a great deal.
Yup, only one shop selling at that price. My trigger finger's itchy, but it's a lot of money to fork out for a DC I haven't at least held. I'd be less bothered about seeing it first if it was a Veo, for example, which part of me is thinking that would probably even suffice for me...it does Nitrox.

With the amount of diving I do, I couldn't justify buying a wireless transmitter ATM but with the Atom it's something I could add later! I'm doing the equivalent of thinking out loud now!

The Veo is definitely bigger - bigger around and thicker. The Geo and Atom are pretty much like any normal wristwatch. I definitely prefer the smaller size, but others definitely prefer the bigger screen of the Veo.

Yup, only one shop selling at that price. My trigger finger's itchy, but it's a lot of money to fork out for a DC I haven't at least held. I'd be less bothered about seeing it first if it was a Veo, for example, which part of me is thinking that would probably even suffice for me...it does Nitrox.

With the amount of diving I do, I couldn't justify buying a wireless transmitter ATM but with the Atom it's something I could add later! I'm doing the equivalent of thinking out loud now!

Where did you find it? I'm looking to buy a Geo 2 but the Atom seems like a better deal... Only problem is that it's more than 100 euro's more expensive over here :(

The Veo is definitely bigger - bigger around and thicker. The Geo and Atom are pretty much like any normal wristwatch. I definitely prefer the smaller size, but others definitely prefer the bigger screen of the Veo.
ME! If I could get a DC with a screen the size of a smartphone, I'd strap that sucker on my arm and smile.

ME! If I could get a DC with a screen the size of a smartphone, I'd strap that sucker on my arm and smile.

I have a TX-1 and the Atom. The TX-1 is the size of a Veo. I don't find it to be noticeably more readable than my Atom.

My H3 screen is a fair bit smaller than the TX-1 and it is VASTLY more readable.

Like she says, it's all about the quality, not the quantity. ;-)

Where did you find it? I'm looking to buy a Geo 2 but the Atom seems like a better deal... Only problem is that it's more than 100 euro's more expensive over here :(

Sorry BazzazR1, I just saw your post! It's on sale (without transmitter) in both blue & white on Sunderland Scuba Centre website, here:
Oceanic Atom 3.1 White Watch Only

Free delivery within UK but not sure about Netherlands, you need to enter a postal / zip code to get an estimate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom