Question ScubaPro G250 Blue Rhapsody with Sticky cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have just wiped, sticky and all, with a degreaser/wax remover and then shot it with 2K. If I was not going to shoot with 2K clear then I would have just gone with a good grade of auto wax, Carnauba or similar or Johnsons or equivalent paste wax.

The stickiness is just an adhesion promoter, if you had to work that hard to get it off then just shoot over it, :wink:.

The stickiness is just an adhesion promoter, if you had to work that hard to get it off then just shoot over it, :wink:.
I mean.. it makes a lot of sense functionally...
but... the grime.. knowing it's there...
did I mention it was in storage for 20 years?
it pulled fuzzy strands of the packing paper it got to me in

it wasn't hard to get off -- I was just scared; slow and small steps to avoid an "oh crap" streak or paint stripped

Idk, maybe it's a habbit from building and laque-ing cigar box guitars, or just plain old ocd+germophobia (lol), I just would have been forever icked by that reg if I sprayed over it directly

btw, something that I percieved to have helped is your suggested lighter trick (taken out of context); I think it helped the gunk seperate easier

now it's time to source that 2k around here (and service the reg itself that I have been pushing off)

I mean.. it makes a lot of sense functionally...
but... the grime.. knowing it's there...
did I mention it was in storage for 20 years?
it pulled fuzzy strands of the packing paper it got to me in

it wasn't hard to get off -- I was just scared; slow and small steps to avoid an "oh crap" streak or paint stripped

Idk, maybe it's a habbit from building and laque-ing cigar box guitars, or just plain old ocd+germophobia (lol), I just would have been forever icked by that reg if I sprayed over it directly

btw, something that I percieved to have helped is your suggested lighter trick (taken out of context); I think it helped the gunk seperate easier

now it's time to source that 2k around here (and service the reg itself that I have been pushing off)
I was not advocating to spray over a contaminated surface.

Surely you can source a 2K clear in Europe? SprayMax is the brand I am most familiar with but there are others. A word to warning, these 2K paints and clears are catlyzed by isocynates. You might recall these can be quite deadly in piure form and concentrated. You are supposed to use a forced air respirator. But for small projects, skin and eye protection, good ventalation and practicing your free diving skills I have managed to do many projects without harm. And I do have forced air capability if required, well, you could even use a scuba and a face shield! My pont is to use precautions with professional grade coatings.

There are some new 1K products that do harden quite nicely over time but they still are not as durable as a 2K coating. Once cured a 2K product is resistant to solvents and is hard enough to resist damage.

I was not advocating to spray over a contaminated surface.

Surely you can source a 2K clear in Europe? SprayMax is the brand I am most familiar with but there are others. A word to warning, these 2K paints and clears are catlyzed by isocynates. You might recall these can be quite deadly in piure form and concentrated. You are supposed to use a forced air respirator. But for small projects, skin and eye protection, good ventalation and practicing your free diving skills I have managed to do many projects without harm. And I do have forced air capability if required, well, you could even use a scuba and a face shield! My pont is to use precautions with professional grade coatings.

There are some new 1K products that do harden quite nicely over time but they still are not as durable as a 2K coating. Once cured a 2K product is resistant to solvents and is hard enough to resist damage.
I think I mixed up the 2 parts of your previous msg.
worked out alright tho

I already found the 2K from same brand here.

Thanks for that warning -- I assumed it's a "simpler" laquer that needed simple protection
would something like this count as "forced air respirator"? or does that mean "non ambient air supply" like scuba/firefighting systems?
1724232038815.png

I would hold my breath anyway doing it in the open air + some protection (catch the hypercondriac 😅)

I think I mixed up the 2 parts of your previous msg.
worked out alright tho

I already found the 2K from same brand here.

Thanks for that warning -- I assumed it's a "simpler" laquer that needed simple protection
would something like this count as "forced air respirator"? or does that mean "non ambient air supply" like scuba/firefighting systems?
View attachment 857101
I would hold my breath anyway doing it in the open air + some protection (catch the hypercondriac 😅)
No, that is not forced air. But for quick, small projects, I cover my eyes with a shield, wear gloves and long sleeves to prevent skin contact and just hold my breath in a well ventilated area. Good breath hold practice. Use some common sense. scuba on a long hose :wink: with a face shield and nose plug would work. Really, three coats will take about 30 seconds each, I hold my breath for that.

While waiting on the 2k to be delivered, the rest has been more or less cleaned and ready for tuning (gotta pick up a tank as well)
I decided to go with the matt 2k

Doesn’t she clean up nice, amd has a functional seatsaver, and a sexy see-thru diaphragm
3C19A1C1-E966-4685-B2B7-8EA7A0F50EB4.jpeg

7E8C8F16-4E68-43F6-8CB1-A17C7255465D.jpeg

The matte finish 2K clear should look real good and maybe best fitting to the unique colors. The matte really drys (catalyses) very fast. Be sure to mask off the threaded area and also to remove the purge button.

Some G250s have a very close fitting purge button. If so you might mask off the inner ID of the purge cup so to reduce the (minor and easily fixed) possibly of binding.

Just shot my G260 Carbons, my G250 Mardi Gras and my new "Holey" Kraken can with 2K clear. It is so Holey I might need to get it blessed, never asked a priest to bless a regulator, hmmmm, then it would be a Holy Holey Kraken :). Metallic Graphite cleared with 2K:

I used grey Scotchbrite on the G260s to break the factory gloss and then degreased. The 2K went on nicely and now they have a super hard sacrificial clear that will not sacrifice easily :wink:. The Mardi Gras:

The Mardi Gras G250 is teamed with a DGX combo Air 2 and a Mark 11 for Cozumel in a couple of weeks.

Just to chime in, also got my hands on a G250 Blue Rhapsody today.
Funnily enough this one feels like it's beginning to become sticky, but so far it's still fine.

Hard to say from when it is.. but from all the documents i've found so far it's between 1992 and 1999 and italian made. It still has the flow vane with the C-clip retainer and the older style diaphragm with the small bumps on it that's a bit thicker. So dunno.. probably mid nineties?

Funnily enough this one feels like it's beginning to become sticky, but so far it's still fine
I’m starting to think it’s the paint coating along with some bad storage conditions (too hot + too cold 🤷🏽‍♀️) that get them sticky

Back
Top Bottom