Seach for Blue Hole in Boynton Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Errol Kalayci

Contributor
Reaction score
Dive Report – The Search for the Alleged Blue Hole in Palm Beach – March 25, 2012
Having heard various reports and old stories about a cave system in Boynton Beach that opens into the ocean in about 115’, we decided it would be fun to investigate and further our GUE Project Baselines objectives. Our investigation began with us contacting potential sources, divers, governmental agencies, educational institutions, scouring the internet and pouring over as much mapping of the ocean floor that we could find. Not finding anything conclusive either way, we decided to have a mini-expedition and determine whether or not it existed. The mini-expedition dive plans began a week in advance.
Pre-Dive Planning
Upon studying all the maps, it appeared that if there was such an opening it would indeed be found either in 105-115’ or in 132’ along what looked like little ledges, though conceivably it could be in 150’ in a smaller section along an approximate 2 mile stretch. To dive an area this long in those depths while ensuring we covered essentially every inch necessitated well thought out planning, gear and appropriate training.
We broke our team of six (6) divers into two (2) teams of three (3) divers. Team 1 consisted of Alan Pelstring, Robert Carmichael (from Brownies Marine Group and Halcyon) and Errol Kalayci. Team2 was comprised of John Adair, Mikkel Pizner (Brownies) and Jeremy Jarosky (Pompano Dive Center). All team members were Tec 1 or higher, and team 1 were also trained Cave 2 divers. Team 2 would not be going into a cave if found. While one team dove, the other would run the boat, in-water and topside support as needed.
Because the depth would range between 105-150’ we chose GUE standard gas of 21/35 along with a 50% nitrox “70’” bottle for deco. Since we planned some reasonably long bottom times, needed to travel significant distances and planned to do several repetitive dives and virgin blue hole exploration, our dive plans had to consider numerous factors including boat space, gas matching, gas volume needs, dpv burn times, logistics, etc. We also needed to figure out how to deal with the potential for substantial current, tides, and the best underwater search method. Teamwork underwater, on the boat and between topside and underwater would all need to be outstanding. If a cave opening was spotted, a SMB would be deployed, team would surface and initial exploration would be initiated.
Morning of Dive March 25, 2012
5:00am rolled around early for me. Quick snack, followed by an hour base run then shove some food in my mouth, reanalysis of mine and Alan’s gasses. This included both of our sets of doubles, 4-Al 80 150’ stages , 2-AL80 100’, 4-AL 40 70’ deco bottles and 2-AL 40 of O2 just in case we needed it. When Alan arrived, we reloaded my 1200’ Halcyon reel with line since it was dumped a few months ago on another project, then loaded the mystery machine with the tanks, 2 dpvs each, lights, cameras and other gear and headed to boat with pit stops for donuts, bagels and my vice (Diet Coke). Arriving at the dock at 7am, we met the rest of our team members and assembly line moved all team members gear to the dock, organized gear by teams and order of its use. Loading Robert’s 38’ Fountain would take some thought and time, fortunately we have done this before and being organized balanced the boat and made operations on the water very efficient. We left the dock in Fort Lauderdale around 8:30am and headed north approximately 33 miles. Having to travel through a lot of no wake zones took a while but was put to good use in going over the operations a final time. We waved to the staff from Pompano Dive Center as we drove by since we had the boss (Jeremy) with us. Hitting Hillsborough Inlet, Reggie Fountain’s design was proven as we cruised at 50mph through the 3’ chop and I cranked up the tunes on my ipod. Arriving onsite we drove around our intended traverse locations to verify of our bearings and look at the sounder for more verification, judge the current, etc.
The Dives
Dive 1 Team 1 (Alan, Errol, Robert)
Given the wind blowing pretty solidly, there was a fair bit of chop and we had to backroll into the water, after acounting for drift we motored south of our marks and decided to stage the gear on float balls, have the boat drop us off up-current so we drift/swim into the stages, dpvs, cameras, etc. This worked out pretty well for the most part, excepting a stage that had the valve cracked open and was free flowing until I got to it. My luck, my 150’ stage now was down too 2300 psi to start the dive. Fortunately the 58 cubic feet was enough to last me for the 45 minutes of planned BT and I did not have to switch to backgas. Clipping the gear onto us, we checked each other out, did an S drill, bubble check and descended right on target. Visibility was at least 75’, water temp was a nice 77 degrees and I was comfortable in the TLS 350 wearing 300 grams thermal I chose for the dive. The current in Boynton was moving for sure, initially blowing us NE then later just North. At the bottom we reset our timers for average depth and time and began our search.
I wish that this dive found something noteworthy or the cave entrance but such was not the case. We searched the entire area in 112-130’, it was sadly devoid of any sea life and pretty darn boring. At 30 minutes into the dive at an area located 1 mile north of our start point in the area (which area we pre-identified as the most promising), 2 large bull sharks graced us with their presence then took off. In this area, we saw a bunch of fish finally and what looked like old solution tubes that had been filled with sand. Was this what someone thought was a cave entrance? Maybe a hurricane filled them with sand but even so, this was never a cave entrance. Motoring along for another 15 minutes the current picked up and carried us more north and we stopped dealing with the easterly push. Rather than waste the remaining burn time on our Halcyon DPVS, we elected to park them (so we could use as backups if needed later) and just drift deco while the boat tracked our torpedo. Switching to our 70’ bottle, I gathered our teams 150’ stages, clipped them off to my stage leash and sent them up the line. Having one less thing made the deco much more relaxing and Team 2 quickly retrieved the stages and had them stashed away by the time we came up. Coming up we discovered the waves had grown a bit as the small cold front was working its way across the state but Team 2 did an excellent job of taking all of our gear and hauling it out efficiently. The only casualty suffered was the loss of my Xen bottom timer which flew over the side as I pulled it off while a wave hit us broadside and I lost grip on it. Guess a small sacrifice to Neptune was needed.
Team 2 – Dive (John, Mikkel, Jeremy)
After a debrief of what we did not find and verification that we did cover the entire route, collectively it was decided that Team 2 should start at our 30 minute mark in a bit shallower water and cover from that point north 2 miles. Team 2 was treated to some pretty reef, 2 enormous nurse sharks and another bull shark along with a bunch of fish but no cave entrance or any sign that it ever existed. Team 2 elected to run back gas rather than bring a stage since they would not need to do another dive in this area and they still had their 100’ and 150’ stages they could use to dive later if the deteriating weather allowed. During their time underwater, Team 1 put all the unneeded or used stuff away, organized the gear for its next dive, making room for Team 2 which would be back and have to dekit before Team 1 could kit up again. Team 1 hopefully made it just as easy for Team 2’s egress from the water. After a debrief Team 1 kitted up and was preparing to rock and roll as Team 2 motored us back to next drop off point.
Team 1- Dive 2
Having scoured the entire area now from 105’to 130’, we decided to look a bit deeper in the 130-150’ range and use back gas rather than a stage as we would not be going into anything we found today due to weather, time of day and tides. Thus, why not run a bit slicker without dragging a bottom stage. With fresh dpvs assisted by an increased current and lower drag, we easily cover the entire area in the deeper line. Dive 2 was just as boring as our first dive, only entertainment were the 5 remoras about 2-3’ long that kept harassing us. 4 of them eventually left but 1 kept trying to suck onto my hand as I reeled in the line during our deco. Made us wonder where they came from and what else was cruising around us in the much decreased visibility during deco. Using GUE standard gasses and protocols made everything so easy, we could plan the deco and gas management on the fly and repetitive trimix dives were no problem at all. Coming up from our second dive went just as smoothly as the first but the seas were a lot worse as the weather and wind were a bit confused.
Post Dive
Motoring as close to shore as was safe, we took a little refuge from the seas, stashed everything away, had another quick bite, put up the spray curtains then tested the Fountain again. Moving at close to 50 mph into some confused waves, was not the most fun ever, but not the worst ride either. We departed the scene at 5:15pm and were in Hillsborough Inlet before 6pm with 1:15 ride left for us to talk, wash gear and reorganize gear by diver so when we hit the dock all we had to do was unload and move each divers gear to the vehicles. Lifting all the dpvs, and tanks was not the most fun after such a long day but we worked together as a team and it went suprisingly fast. Sadly, my 1200’ Halcyon reel was still full.
Summary
Part of adventure and this type of exploration is not always finding what you are looking for, but disapproving something is considered a success in my opinion as well. Besides, what is better than hanging out with your close friends and diving? Everyone felt great post dive, and it was a great dry run for other dives that are upcoming. Knowing that it does not exist, we cross it off are list and are ready to go where one does exist in much deeper water, much further south, where I was looking in the 90’s. It was also a great dry run for the continuation of our Bimini Project. Waking up the next morning (today) I was tired. Calling the guys up, I found they were all tired as well from the long day on the boat and dives. Guess age is catching up to us. However, John and I used peer pressure on each other to show up for Master’s Swim at lunch today where the coach had an evil plan in mind and took us to the woodshed, but what could be more fun. Life’s a journey and as the Grateful Dead used to sing, it should be what a long strange trip its been.

Every post needs a picture.

GUE Baseline1.jpg

Last edited:
Great dive report. By the way Errol, congratulations with your recent appointment as a new GUE instructor.

S. Florida desperately needed a highly experienced and motivated addition to GUE's instructor ranks. This is copied from GUE's e-mail announcement...

"Errol Kalayci is based in Boca Raton, Florida, and is the Vice-President of a local engineering firm. Errol is also a competitive Ironman triathelete and is the CEO of Technical Diving Solutions. He will be teaching Fundamentals."

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom