Scubapro "Finseal" BCD's ..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From memory: Scubapro used to double tape and glue its SSJ's. Then in the late 1980's, they began offering less expensive "heat sealed" jackets, also. Then around 1990, Scubapro no longer used double tape and glue on its premium SSJ's, and began marketing them as "fin sealed" (or something like that), while still offering the less expensive "heat sealed" jackets.

I believe the premium, "fin sealed" jackets continued to be coated internally with neoprene. I believe the less expensive "heat sealed" jackets were coated internally with poly-something-or-other (polyurethane?)

My first SSJ, which I purchased new in 1987, was the orange, "taco-packet" model. It was double-taped and glued.

My "new" SSJ, which I continue to dive occasionally, I purchased new ca. 1994. It is black, and "fin sealed", with "Scubapro Classic" stenciled across the pocket flap.

I'll double-check all this against old Scubapro catalogs when I have time this evening.

rx7diver
Thanks for the reply ... My first 3 were the same orange ones ..the next one was like this picture ... I think they Sew the Seams on all of the newer ones ...So you think the Finseal was just the model between the orange taped ones and the "classics" like this .. Thanks Again for your help ..Don

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 46
Believe me, Regulators have not chanced much since you 'lost track', if you went back to being a 'tech', you would not know you even left.
And those BCs were a lot of fun back in the day, easy on/off and years of diving with them.
I have been doin "research" while trying to put together a reg to use ... I see some now have some kind of "block" that covers the inlet when it's not on a tank ... weird ..I have an old reliable built ..all I need now is another BC .....And a new Back and 1 knee Ha ...

I see some now have some kind of "block" that covers the inlet when it's not on a tank ..
Here is an example on youtube:

From memory: ...

I'll double-check all this against old Scubapro catalogs when I have time this evening.

1. Scubapro 1986 Catalog: SSJ, seams double-taped and glued, removable (clip-on?) pockets, neoprene coated internally (Orange) or internally and externally ("Double Blue"), MSRP $325/$365. Also Heat Sealed SSJ, polyurethane-coated internally, MSRP $225.

2. Scubapro 1987 Catalog: SSJ same as above, except with non-removable taco pockets, and offered additionally in "Double Black" (neoprene coated on both sides, but Orange and Blue coated only internally, MSRP $390/$345. This was my first SSJ. Also, Heat Sealed SSJ, this tie with non-removable taco pockets, MSRP $250.

3. Scubapro 1989 Catalog: Finseal SSJ appears for the first time, Red, Blue, Teal, and Double Black, cummerbund, "Scubapro Finseal" stenciled on pocket flap. "All edges are hand glued and tape sealed internally. All external edges are sealed with binding tape, then sewn for double reliability." MSRP $360/$400. Also, Heat Sealed SSJ, MSRP $260.

4. Scubapro 1993 Catalog: Classic Black SSJ (appears for the first time), "double neoprene coated internally", "Scubapro Classic" stenciled on pocket flaps, MSRP $465. This is my "new" SSJ, my second SSJ. (Honestly, it appears that this model was introduced one year earlier, except with "Scubapro Finseal" still stenciled on the pocket flaps.) Finseal SSJ is listed again, MSRP $415. Heat Sealed SSJ is listed again, MSRP $297. Other BC's, too.

rx7diver

Regrettably no. SM/MED if I remember. And I think there is an XL Classic there too.. I should dig them out of storage....

1. Scubapro 1986 Catalog: SSJ, seams double-taped and glued, removable (clip-on?) pockets, neoprene coated internally (Orange) or internally and externally ("Double Blue"), MSRP $325/$365. Also Heat Sealed SSJ, polyurethane-coated internally, MSRP $225.

2. Scubapro 1987 Catalog: SSJ same as above, except with non-removable taco pockets, and offered additionally in "Double Black" (neoprene coated on both sides, but Orange and Blue coated only internally, MSRP $390/$345. This was my first SSJ. Also, Heat Sealed SSJ, this tie with non-removable taco pockets, MSRP $250.

3. Scubapro 1989 Catalog: Finseal SSJ appears for the first time, Red, Blue, Teal, and Double Black, cummerbund, "Scubapro Finseal" stenciled on pocket flap. "All edges are hand glued and tape sealed internally. All external edges are sealed with binding tape, then sewn for double reliability." MSRP $360/$400. Also, Heat Sealed SSJ, MSRP $260.

4. Scubapro 1993 Catalog: Classic Black SSJ (appears for the first time), "double neoprene coated internally", "Scubapro Classic" stenciled on pocket flaps, MSRP $465. This is my "new" SSJ, my second SSJ. (Honestly, it appears that this model was introduced one year earlier, except with "Scubapro Finseal" still stenciled on the pocket flaps.) Finseal SSJ is listed again, MSRP $415. Heat Sealed SSJ is listed again, MSRP $297. Other BC's, too.

rx7diver
Perfect .... Exactly the Information I was looking for ...so it looks like you could have 1 of 2 vintages of black BC's and the finseal was a model between them ... these 1993 classic black bc's ...are they the ones with the integral weights ... That's what I have now and don't like it .. wonder when the integral weights started ...seems that's all you can buy now ...Thanks again for the helpful reply ...don

... these 1993 classic black bc's ...are they the ones with the integral weights ... That's what I have now and don't like it .. wonder when the integral weights started ...seems that's all you can buy now ...Thanks again for the helpful reply ...don
@MR12111,

No, my 1993 Classic Black SSJ is NOT weight-integrated. (Personally, I would NOT prefer to use a weight-integrated BC!)

My daughter did her NAUI open water course last year. Her class (university course) used older NON-weight-integrated Scubapro SSJ's for pool sessions. When it came time to source her gear for her open water checkout trip, I thought I would rent for her a Classic Black SSJ like my own, except a size smaller (since mine is a bit large on her, and her mom's 1987 Orange SSJ is a bit too small for her in a 5mm wetsuit). I learned from my LDS that he could no longer get NON-weight-integrated SSJ's--even though he had appealed to Scubapro Inc several times (since he has a significant number of customers wanting them).

I was not at all pleased with the (newer) SSJ's my LDS had available for rent, or those that could be purchased!

My daughter wound up using my SSJ for both her open water checkout and for her trip to Roatan a week or so later. I think I posted on here a pic of her in Roatan diving my SSJ, taken by her open water instructor. I'll try to find the post.

(She used my 3rd-generation Scubapro AIR 2, too!)

ETA: Post #11 here (Jacket vs back inflate for new diver?) shows my daughter trying on her mother's SSJ.

ETA: Post #36 here (VDH wings in stock!!!) shows my Scubapro SSJ set up for my daughter.

ETA: Post #44 here (My own equipment not allowed for Open Water class?) shows my daughter diving my SSJ in Roatan.

rx7diver

@MR12111,

No, my 1993 Classic Black SSJ is NOT weight-integrated. (Personally, I would NOT prefer to use a weight-integrated BC!)

My daughter did her NAUI open water course last year. Her class (university course) used older NON-weight-integrated Scubapro SSJ's for pool sessions. When it came time to source her gear for her open water checkout trip, I thought I would rent for her a Classic Black SSJ like my own, except a size smaller (since mine is a bit large on her, and her mom's 1987 Orange SSJ is a bit too small for her in a 5mm wetsuit). I learned from my LDS that he could no longer get NON-weight-integrated SSJ's--even though he had appealed to Scubapro Inc several times (since he has a significant number of customers wanting them).

I was not at all pleased with the (newer) SSJ's my LDS had available for rent, or those that could be purchased!

My daughter wound up using my SSJ for both her open water checkout and for her trip to Roatan a week or so later. I think I posted on here a pic of her in Roatan diving my SSJ, taken by her open water instructor. I'll try to find the post.

ETA: Post #11 here (Jacket vs back inflate for new diver?) shows my daughter trying on her mother's SSJ.

ETA: Post #36 here (VDH wings in stock!!!) shows my Scubapro SSJ set up for my daughter.

ETA: Post #44 here (My own equipment not allowed for Open Water class?) shows my daughter diving my SSJ in Roatan.

rx7dive

I went to all the Local Shops when I started thinking about maybe getting back into it ...Palm Beach County ...none of them have non-weight integrated BC's ..You get some lecture about how their bad for you ..geeesh ... I was an Instructor and Boat Capt. with Decades of Experience ... I just smile and say OK ? I have 1 of those weight BC's thing must be twice as heavy as the others ...and.. it feels cumbersome when I wear it ...I liked the sorta loose feel of those old jackets ... weight are a pain especially when the "customer" puts them in their dive bag .. or they drop them on your boat deck from 6 feet up ..Ugh .. But then these bc's with what 15-20 pounds of weight in them ...really heavy ...no thanks ...please ...

@MR12111,

rx7diver
This "Thing" is mine ...must weigh 20 pounds without the weights .. Shown with 1 of the weight pockets partly out

Attachments

• 20230503_125507.jpg
    20230503_125507.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 49
Here is a basic jacket style Scubapro BC I setup for someone, they just wanted a basic BC without the padding , like the cummerbund, plastic buckle and back padding etc, fits them like a glove.
Can't be talked into a wing of any style, that's OK, it's what they have done for 40+ years.

Scubapro T One, not expensive.
Edit: I have dived it and it was good, one size bigger would fit me even better.
IMG_20230504_071403_DRO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom