Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe a plastic liner...
This was attempted, too, in the seventies, and it was a disaster. Rust works under the plastic, unseen, resulting in catastrophic damages. To the point that plastic-coated cylinders were then declared unsuitable for hydro testing.
The good technique was deep zinc covering, but this did require to build bottles with two threaded necks, at both extremities. Dalmine was manufacturing them. But they were also heavier and with more space taken for the double neck.

All interesting.

A Google patent search on Luigi Ferraro reveals only one patent for an adjustable IP mechanism for a piston first stage. Google Patents
This is the 1977 patent by Luigi Ferraro co-owned by Spirotechnique and Technisub. The image of the second stage clearly shows the Venturi duct injecting air in the mouthpiece, and the movable vane for controlling the effect: US4192298A - Breathing apparatus with improved regulator particularly for under water use - Google Patents
Inject.png

Wow. How did I miss this very interesting thread!? @Overweighted you've answered most of your own questions by experimentation. Thank you for posting your findings-I've often wondered what effect a venturi vane would have on a BA/109.

I have two G250V one with the VIVA vane crescent facing the diaphragm and one facing the mouth piece... what a different it make on the flow bench.

Here is a quote from a G250HP Repair Guide others may find interesting:

"Maximum VIVA:
Place the new knob and vane assembly
back into the housing with the crescentshaped
notch facing forward toward the
back of the diaphragm for maximum VIVA.

Minimal VIVA:
mouthpiece opening for minimal VIVA (ie:
for rental equipment). "

The 2003 S600-500 Repair Guide has the same statement.

How much lead do you want to wear?
I would answer, "He is already Overweighted," but that would distract from this very interesting thread.

Is Dean Gafarra the father of the G-250? One of the legendary engineers that went on to co-found Atomic?

The 1986 date on the VIVA patent makes it look to be the right time as far as the 250 goes. IIRC, it came out in 86.

Looking at the patents, I am going to say yes until someone says otherwise.

This is the 1977 patent by Luigi Ferraro co-owned by Spirotechnique and Technisub. The image of the second stage clearly shows the Venturi duct injecting air in the mouthpiece, and the movable vane for controlling the effect: US4192298A - Breathing apparatus with improved regulator particularly for under water use - Google Patents
View attachment 579985

Respectfully, @Angelo Farina, I think you are mistaken. That patent claim relates solely to the first stage, and not the second stage.

"According to the invention, the first stage includes structure for adjusting the medium pressure, which has a member for direct manual operation which is mounted to be easily accessible and which can be operated by the user even when diving, so that the medium pressure can be adjusted whenever the lifting suction becomes too great, or whenever the effect of changes in the operation of the first stage is to alter it, or before diving in shallows.
This first stage may comprise a throttling valve which is loaded by a spring, and the adjusting structure may include a screwed knob which acts on the members for adjusting the setting of the spring."

A similar mechanism to the above Patent is now used in the MK25.

Also the above patent (application in 1976) is about 5 years after Pedersons's patent (application in 1971) which more clearly shows a venturi vane, labelled no. 23 in the attached drawings.

US4010746-drawings-page-2.png

Wow. How did I miss this very interesting thread!? @Overweighted you've answered most of your own questions by experimentation. Thank you for posting your findings-I've often wondered what effect a venturi vane would have on a BA/109.

Here is a quote from a G250HP Repair Guide others may find interesting:

"Maximum VIVA:
back of the diaphragm for maximum VIVA.

Minimal VIVA:
mouthpiece opening for minimal VIVA (ie:
for rental equipment). "

The 2003 S600-500 Repair Guide has the same statement.
But the knob/handle looks funny that way.

Back
Top Bottom