Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always wondered, why not make cylinders out of stainless?! A bit off topic.
We had them here in Italy in eighties. Faber, if I remember correctly: they were terribly heavy, as stainless steel is much less resistant, hence needs more thickness.

Damn, there you go, you can pack a lot of dive gear on the baby.:wink:

Yes you can, but you will be waiting a while on it to arrive. And I hope your dive destination is confined to the Kennedy Space Center or you are really going to piss off the Florida Department of Transportation. And the fuel bill to Lake City alone would bankrupt a small Latin American country.

That makes sense Angelo. If you made it extra corrosion resistant, it would be a thicker alloy. The strong stainless alloys tend to be more stainless-ish steel and will rust without minimal care. Likely would not play well with salt water and abuse.

I wonder about gas nitriding the interior of a Crome Moly cylinder for extra corrosion resistance? As long as it would not contribute to crack initiation. It would make the surface harder.

I wonder about gas nitriding the interior of a Crome Moly cylinder for extra corrosion resistance? As long as it would not contribute to crack initiation. It would make the surface harder.
Maybe a plastic liner...

Heard that has been tried and failed. Plastic tends to have pinholes and you can’t see corrosion forming underneath. Makes impossible to inspect.
It’s was, it did. I think different expansion rates more than pinholes and inspection is impossible but back then nobody ever looked inside.

Bucher did not patent his Venturi vane modification, hence it had been possible for everyone to use it.
He actually proposed it to many manufacturers, but no one wanted to use it in production, as the reg was too easy to freeflow.
Bucher was also a very strange subject, so his many inventions were almost never exploited.
What was patented by Ferraro & Cousteau in their Inject reg in the seventies was the ADJUSTABLE Venturi vane, which can be rotated in a position which prevents free flow when not in mouth. As soon as the patent expired, every manufacturer went out with regulators featuring an adjustable Venturi vane.

All interesting.

A Google patent search on Luigi Ferraro reveals only one patent for an adjustable IP mechanism for a piston first stage. Google Patents

Vernon Pederson at Dacor has a number of different patents for adjustable venturi devices. Google Patents

Then Dean Garrafa invented Scubapro's VIVA mechanism. US4796618A - Breathing regulator apparatus - Google Patents

All the above patents are expired.

Garrafa moved to Atomic and has a large number of patents
Google Patents

EDIT: I noticed that Ferraro's first name was misspelled in that one patent. He had some others on masks and fins. Google Patents

Though probably this one is not his ... IT8212630D0 - Sanitary device to assist in the erection of the penis - Google Patents

Back
Top Bottom