Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're talking 10-20 thousandths of an inch for optimal spring compression on the balanced mod. You may need some shims from McMaster. DM me.

I have one 109, and one BA (at least it has the BA cover and adjustment knob), both bought from eBay couple years ago. Both upgraded… Swing poppet, spring, curly foot lever, BC, orifice. I can’t get either to crack over .7

I have two new old stock 156 CE, and one Mark X never wet, both breath excellent right out of the box and crack at 1.0 and 1.1 all original.

Wondering if some 109 don’t do well converting to balance regulators?
All my 109-BA converted with S-wing poppet break open around 1.0" - 1.1". If I tune them lighter, they free flow easily, and the reduction of the inictial suction required is not worth the hassle.

They are all over the place....

I have at least one that exhibits the "click -> woosh" phenomenon. Still chasing the elusive part it wants to behave. I have obtained a large number of oem poppets that are pre-s-wing design but haven't checked if the seat has gone hard... I have a perhaps a dozen 109 stages here to address...

the "click -> woosh" phenomenon.
Often caused by the lever legs not returning to the proper "spread." This is especially true for the "curly foot" levers. For some reason the spring tension that should return the legs to the correct gap is not as consistent in the curly feet versions.

Switch the parts over and see what happens.
I thought about it, just hate opening it up and taking parts from the two that are working so good, although I’ll never dive them.

All my 109-BA converted with S-wing poppet break open around 1.0" - 1.1". If I tune them lighter, they free flow easily, and the reduction of the inictial suction required is not worth the hassle.
DI’d you need to use shims?

We're talking 10-20 thousandths of an inch for optimal spring compression on the balanced mod. You may need some shims from McMaster. DM me.
I did get some shims from you a couple years ago and they did work, I tried them in my G250s and they worked fine. I’m assuming they don’t change or takeaway from lever travel or poppet opening.

With the adjustment knob turned in a bit I can get to 1.0 of course just like with a shim. I think the shim wouldn’t reduce poppet travel where as the knob would.

Would like to figure out why I can’t get a 109 to crack at 1.0 with new OEM parts in its original state, installed brand new swing poppet, curly foot lever, new orifice, new springs more than once.

Not sure maybe I just got two lemons from eBay.

Measured lever height per Couv instructions, assuming a little bit less than .7 because there’s no flat spot on the barrel.

DI’d you need to use shims?
No. But of course I replaced the spring in all of them, when converting to BA.
Prior of the conversion, one of them was always leaking, even with new orifice and poppet. After careful measurement, it resulted that the spring was slightly shorter. That was a good case to be fixed with shims... Instead I tried fixing it by stretching the spring. But I did overstretch it, so it became too long and the reg was breaking well above 2.5 inch.
So I gave up and spent the money for converting it to BA, which fixed the problem.
That was the episode which triggered the subsequent conversion to BA of all my regs.

No. But of course I replaced the spring in all of them, when converting to BA.
Prior of the conversion, one of them was always leaking, even with new orifice and poppet. After careful measurement, it resulted that the spring was slightly shorter. That was a good case to be fixed with shims... Instead I tried fixing it by stretching the spring. But I did overstretch it, so it became too long and the reg was breaking well above 2.5 inch.
So I gave up and spent the money for converting it to BA, which fixed the problem.
That was the episode which triggered the subsequent conversion to BA of all my regs.
Seems like there’s a lot of variations in springs, without a micro adjuster we’re at the mercy of the spring.

I just installed two shims and was able to get close to 1.0

Back
Top Bottom