Scubapro BC Geo - 3-failed dumb valves all on 2 dives - Looking for feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseeker2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My dive buddy has this BC for 5 years, uses it maybe 1-2 times a year so total I am guessing 100 dives at most. Well her first dive of year 5 one valve just broke in half, we are on a boat for a week so I decided to glue it up with epoxy. Looked good but when we blew it up the second valve just fell apart, So I glued that one up. Took it on a dive and she pulled the back dump that just fell apart. OMG.. never seen anything like this in my 45 years of diving. I have BC's that are fine still after 25 years. I do own one of these Scubapro Geo's myself, have not used it as much but now afraid to let one of my kids use it. Any suggestions or ideas how this can happen? Has anyone seen something like this before? She stores it in her bedroom. Takes care of her equipment with care even more than I would, she even had all her equipment checked out at Scubapro shop before this trip, something I would never even think of. Boat guides commented that the light travel BC's are really thin materials, not a good idea for serious divers. I think some truth to that. Still this should not happen, maybe just a one time deal or maybe recall we don't know about.

Thanks....

Obviously a catastrophic failure of the plastic...probably stored in an environment of extreme heat to possible less than freezing..any gear sitting for a few month or more should be exercised prior to travel...just good risk management.

Obviously a catastrophic failure of the plastic...probably stored in an environment of extreme heat to possible less than freezing..any gear sitting for a few month or more should be exercised prior to travel...just good risk management.

That was my first thought but nope, in a nice regulated living environment, nothing bad on any other piece of equipment stored in the exactly location. Just the plastic behind the valves. They are very thin, almost paper thin that holds them in place.

That was my first thought but nope, in a nice regulated living environment, nothing bad on any other piece of equipment stored in the exactly location. Just the plastic behind the valves. They are very thin, almost paper thin that holds them in place.

Interesting today I have a duffel bag full of at least 10 year old roller blades, 6 pairs, all of them look great except for one pair, every wheel on that one pair has fell apart like a stale cookie. Just made from some junky rubber and plastic. I would think dive gear, something that could get you in real trouble would be a little more tested and careful of the materials. I noticed today they don't make this model any more. I really wonder if other people had the same issue. I expect this from Chinese made goods, not from a brand like Scubapro.

This guy's got a good video on DIY maintenance of the pull dump (assuming that's the dumb valve you're talking about).
I disassemble my pull dumps if my bcd is going to be dry for a week. It's really easy to do and keeps the parts nice and clean. The power inflator parts I replaced about every two years before switching to an AIR2 (as I had two failures on that part in the past). I've had the pull dump wire break on me but never the mushroom valve its-self.

If you're not into servicing on your own gear at all, then don't forget to take your BCD in for service when you get your regs serviced.

This guy's got a good video on DIY maintenance of the pull dump (assuming that's the dumb valve you're talking about).
I disassemble my pull dumps if my bcd is going to be dry for a week. It's really easy to do and keeps the parts nice and clean. The power inflator parts I replaced about every two years before switching to an AIR2 (as I had two failures on that part in the past). I've had the pull dump wire break on me but never the mushroom valve its-self.

If you're not into servicing on your own gear at all, then don't forget to take your BCD in for service when you get your regs serviced.

Not the issue at all. Bottom line the plastic that was inside the BC just crumbled up and fell apart. It was bad plastic, I am wondering if this was just this one BC or the whole line of this model. Mine is older than my buddies but feels strong to me. Maybe hers came from different lot or maybe even different plant. I bought mine in US she bought her in Malaysia. Both look identical.

Yes, I had the same thing happen to a Scubapro BCD that I had hardly used. It is a Luna ladies that I bought 10 years ago. I have a TUSA BCD that I bought in the late 1980's that is kept in the same environment that is perfect. Yes it is a failure of everything on it that is plastic. The plastic that holds the tank on , the dump valve, everything has failed. Lost all confidence in Scubapro. I have sent them a message, but no reply.

Yes, sounds like a plastic rot. Saw this couple month ago. Guy on a boat had good looking BC, don't remember which company, about 5 yo, and entire plastic support on a back, supporting tank just disintegrated into pieces at once.

This happens so often that there is a company in Hong Kong that makes a product called scuba fix. It is rather expensive, so one of our divers learned when he had to buy a second kit to fix his one bcd. He was really upset when it happened to the second fitting. He is now $200 further into his 10 year old bcd which is probably not worth much more than that.

for $100 or so, you could have an entirely new bladder with fittings for a plate an wing system.

Fins and masks often last many years, regulators, it is possible they could in many cases last a lifetime, or two. BCs and wetsuits and such should be thought of as a consumable item. Some last longer than others, some perish quickly. Sad, but true.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom