Info Scubapro Announces the new updated MK17 first stage, the MK17 EVO 2!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Scubapro has recently introduced the MK17 EVO 2 regulator first stage, a state-of-the-art regulator engineered for superior performance in cold and challenging underwater environments. This new first stage is an enhancement of the highly acclaimed MK17 model. It can be paired with the S620 TI, S600, or C370 second stage and is expected to be available for shipping by the end of 2024.

The MK17 series has long been SCUBAPRO’s premier sealed diaphragm first stage. In its latest iteration, the MK17 EVO 2 elevates performance, reliability, compactness, and freezing resistance, establishing itself as one of the finest SCUBAPRO sealed diaphragm first stages to date. More compact and lighter than its predecessors, the MK17 EVO and MK19 EVO, the MK17 EVO 2 features a new forged body and a dry chamber with a twin spring layout for enhanced reliability and compactness. The two newly designed HP ports are positioned at a specific 15-degree angle to facilitate easier HP hose routing, eliminating the need for a transmitter adapter. A SCUBAPRO transmitter can now be directly attached to the first stage.

Technical Specifications:​

• Valve Type: Balanced diaphragm
  • Ports: Two high-pressure (HP) ports and four low-pressure (LP) ports
  • Maximum Working Pressure: 300 bar/4350 psi (DIN); 232 bar/3365 psi (yoke)
  • Weight: 797g (INT 232); 572g (DIN 300)
  • Airflow: 6900 l/min at 2900 psi/200 bar
  • Intermediate Pressure: 9.2-9.8 bar
  • Environmental Sealing: The dry chamber is completely sealed with a unique dual diaphragm system, enhancing freezing resistance and preventing contamination.
The MK17 EVO 2’s air-balanced diaphragm ensures consistent and effortless airflow, regardless of depth, tank pressure, or breathing rate. The dry ambient pressure chamber increases freezing resistance, ensuring reliable performance in the coldest conditions. The newly designed HP ports, positioned at a 15-degree angle, optimize hose routing and eliminate the need for a transmitter adapter, allowing a SCUBAPRO transmitter to be directly attached to the first stage.

The New MK17 EVO FIRST STAGE:

◊ NEW design allows it to be substantially smaller and lighter than the MK17 EVO and the MK19 EVO.

◊ Design is based on a forged brass body and a dry chamber with a twin spring layout for compactness and reliability.

◊ Sealed balanced diaphragm design makes for the ultimate compact first stage for cold water or contaminated diving conditions.

◊ Air-balanced diaphragm delivers consistent and effortless airflow, regardless of depth, tank pressure, or breathing rate.

◊ Dry chamber is completely environmentally sealed with a unique dual diaphragm system that keeps out contaminated water. The rib is designed to enhance heat exchange, making the first stage cold waterproof.

◊ Two opposing high-pressure ports positioned on a 15º angle allow the first stage to be positioned either up or down, plus provide an optimal hose/transmitter layout.

◊ Due to the high-pressure port positioning, a transmitter adapter is not needed.

◊ Weight: INT 232: 797g; DIN 300: 572g

◊ Intermediate pressure (230 bar): 9.2-9.8

1728594634474.png

(Edit: I’m not confused at you — I’m confused by SP, esp that it’s technically now an mk17Evomk2)

Ohhhh lawd! I hope that’s not the end of mk17 (original) service kits (need them for the old mk19)
◊ Two opposing high-pressure ports positioned on a 15º angle allow the first stage to be positioned either up or down, plus provide an optimal hose/transmitter layout.
This seems like the main „new“ feature
I’m not so sold on the double spring — seems like a way to fake a feature (unlike it’s need to compress the chinkier mk19 to mk19e)

Do you think 19E and 17Eii will share service kit?
They really are looking alike again from the HP side

Let’s see how they hold up tho — they could be actually nice

(edit2: obviously the feature of it being lighter/smaller is awesome and not a fake, makes it closer to „compact“ regs like mk11/AL core; just wouldn’t let ME replace any of my mk17s (og) nor my 19/19evo with it, and I have too many regs to justify buying another travel reg — offshoot: I just got my mk18ul so I’m saturated on the travel front as well 😅)

I like shorter and lighter, looks like maybe 1/2 to 3/4” shorter. Don’t know how I feel about the double springs but as far as I know they are doing fine on the MK 19 EVO. I do like that they changed the HP ports so they don’t mess with hoses.

I may have to break down and buy one for travel. Not sure if to buy it with an S620 TI or an C370 (Perhaps with both, primary S620TI and secondary a C370).

I may have to break down and buy one for travel. Not sure if to buy it with an S620 TI or an C370 (Perhaps with both, primary S620TI and secondary a C370).

The business challenge for all Scuba manufacturers is to manufacture demand for new regulators. Their 25+ year old (and older) models work just as well as their latest offerings, but to ensure continued profitability, they are compelled to “enhance” their older models to persuade their existing installed base to replace or buy another product.

My existing diaphragm 1st stages work perfectly at lowering tank pressure to IP, why would I need another new regulator?

I’ll probably buy a first stage, no one has any available yet.

The business challenge for all Scuba manufacturers is to manufacture demand for new regulators. Their 25+ year old (and older) models work just as well as their latest offerings, but to ensure continued profitability, they are compelled to “enhance” their older models to persuade their existing installed base to replace or buy another product.

My existing diaphragm 1st stages work perfectly at lowering tank pressure to IP, why would I need another new regulator?

Why do you have to spoil the fun and excitement for us old diving fartss????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom