Info Scubapro Announces the new updated MK17 first stage, the MK17 EVO 2!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you have to spoil the fun and excitement for us old diving fartss????

A few years ago I read a powerpoint presentation by a design student who had done an internship with a major brand scuba manufacturer as part of his degree. The presentation focused on his experience.

He had been assigned to the design team working on a new mid-market regulator. The design goals specifically required the team to make the regulator underperform relative to their top of line offering, regardless of whether that could be achieved at lower cost, and to make the regulators, especially the second stages, attractive to a non-technical crowd. Black was prohibited. The team was “successful” in achieving the design goals.

I have been super sceptical about new scuba regulators ever since.

“Evo” is a marketing term for “you need to buy another one”.

I’m sorry I pricked the balloon at your party. 😔

Right after "evo" comes "loot" and "shun" ...

A few years ago I read a powerpoint presentation by a design student who had done an internship with a major brand scuba manufacturer as part of his degree. The presentation focused on his experience.

He had been assigned to the design team working on a new mid-market regulator. The design goals specifically required the team to make the regulator underperform relative to their top of line offering, regardless of whether that could be achieved at lower cost, and to make the regulators, especially the second stages, attractive to a non-technical crowd. Black was prohibited. The team was “successful” in achieving the design goals.

Seriously, I don't agree with you here in this instance at all. SP made noticeable improvements in its product and released the product to the market. Yes, incremental not revolutionary updates but it kept the old price anyways. You probably don't understand the improvements or don't appreciate them but there are improvements/enhancements. What do you want/expect Scubapro to do here? Keep the improvements/enhancements to its product and not release the product for several years and just sit on them?

It is a good thing that Scubapro can afford to do this to its products and make enhancements based on market feedback in contrast to other companies that can't afford to do this.

You probably don't understand the improvements or don't appreciate them but there are improvements/enhancements.

I have serviced many different brands of regulators.

Atomics (which I know you love) still makes the SP MK10, but with real improvements in the seat and seat saving technology. But all the different variations in metals used — titanium, unobtainium etc — it’s all marketing BS.

So they changed the angle of the HP ports. Was that a real issue? Most of us are too gullible to see through the marketing BS.

@BoltSnap , I’m sorry for gate crashing your party.

I think I should leave you guys to enjoy yourselves. 👋👋

So they changed the angle of the HP ports. Was that a real issue? Most of us are too gullible to see through the marketing BS.

There are other enhancements. You don't want SP to make these enhancements and just keep the original design as is? The changes/improvements/enhancements came after market feedback. No one is coming to you with a gun telling you to ditch your regulator and buy this one. SP updated their product and put out in market at the same price as the last price for the older model.

BTW, the angled ports do matter for people with transmitters.

@BoltSnap , I’m sorry for gate crashing your party.

No, not at all. No need to apologize at all. I know that you mean well. Join the party, plenty of drinks to go around, @lexvil is buying anyways :)

What brand would that have been because it’s not anything I’ve experienced with SP.

The EVO mk17 had a different hose configuration and moved the HP ports to 90°, it took me a while but I’ve come to prefer the EVO LP configuration and delt with the HP connection with the adaptor for SP transmitters, the Shearwater transmitter worked without the adaptor.

I like the MK 17 over the MK 25 for two reasons, more compact and sealed, this new one will be more compact than the older 17.

In the “most significant 2 years” thread I said the next two years will always be the most significant, since I started this diving thing in 1971 there have been a lot of newer and better, while that isn’t often the case but it often is, while one can still enjoy diving with the gear I started in I find keeping up, even if I lag sometimes, with new stuff and ideas have been far more positive than negative.

In my time there have been many “it will kill you” responses to new ideas, SPG will blow out and drown you, b/c will fail and drown you, computer will get you bent for sure, on and on it goes.

Some things have stood the test of time like Jet fins, many things don’t but it’s not for lack of trying. A MK 5/109 can still do the job but I’ll take my MK 17/D420 over it any day.

Sigh…. Looks like I will be buying a first stage when they start selling them separately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom