Scubapro Air2 benefits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underseasian

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, can someone help me out here......

The place I dive has just got their new kit together and now I use a BC and reg that are the Scubapro Air2 system. I've asked the Instructors and they haven't given me an answer that makes sense so I'm putting it out to you all:

When you have the alternate built into the LPI hose and have an emergency (or a normal Open Water Course) what is the protocol for the alternate? Do I, as the donor, keep my reg? Or do I give over mine and take the alternate as the hose will be slightly longer? If you are making an ascent using the alternate are you not forced to be very close together?

Maybe I'm just being slow on the uptake and there are some very good reasons for changing what seems to be a perfectly workable system that divers all over the world know and have been trained on.....

When using an Air 2 as the alternate, you donate the primary.

This is no big deal as in practice the OOA diver will take the primary anyway as he or she can see it and it is making bubbles which are very attractive to OOA divers.

Donating the primary is in my opinion preferabel anyway since you know the reg works and you alos know where yours is located.

As long as the inflator hose on the air 2 is long enough to let you move your head all the way to the right, ascents will not be a problem. On a BC with a pull cord in the inflator hose, you can dump by simply grabbing the hose somewhere in the middle and pushing or pulling it outward to increase it's lenght while thre Air 2 remains in your mouth as that will in turn activate the pull dump.

I've asked the Instructors and they haven't given me an answer that makes sense

I find that statement to be a bit scary. What DID they say to you?

Hi underseasian,

Airsharing as per DA Aquamaster. I use my Air2 with a Dive Alert. This makes the system a little less flexible. I generally practice switching to my backup every dive, just to make sure I'm comfortable with the situation.

Good diving, Craig

Air2s are illegal in Israel. You must have a regular primary and alternate octopus.

The main thing is to practice with both - especially breathing out of you Air2 and doing a safe ascent while your buddy is using your primary.

Personally, I decided to take mine off and use a regular octopus.

Now I'll probably get the "how stupid this is". Again, I'm not advocating, I'm simply saying what the regulation made by the Israeli Dive Authority is - and they have their reasons.

drdaddy

drdaddy,

Israel has ruled Air2 illegal? That's incredible, not that it will influence my choice of dive destinations. Good thing the US has not taken equally aggressive steps to rule on scuba equipment, perhaps we'd all be required to dive BP&W. I guess it would all depend on the power of the lobbying.

Good diving, Craig

For years I used this type of setup. At first I thought it was okay. As I progressed in my diving career, with practicing more drills on each dive, I realized that quite simply, it sucked. The setup I had was a sherwood minimus (nothing wrong with the reg itself) with an inflator hose on it. The primary hose was a standard length. So, in this setup, the OOA diver has to fuss with the standard length hose. Not fun. I now dive with a standard length hose on my octo (still the minimus) and a 7' hose on the primary. Now, the OOA diver can be in front of me in a cavern/cave or wreck. This way there is NO awkwardness in OOA situations, which is what we are all aiming for. The marketing angle for these type of devices is having fewer hoses and less weight. Well, a LPI hose's weight is insignifigant. The 7' hose can be more streamlined than a lot of standard length hoses are. BTW, my secondary (octo) is on a bungee around my neck.

For years I used this type of setup. At first I thought it was okay. As I progressed in my diving career, with practicing more drills on each dive, I realized that quite simply, it sucked. The setup I had was a sherwood minimus (nothing wrong with the reg itself) with an inflator hose on it. The primary hose was a standard length. So, in this setup, the OOA diver has to fuss with the standard length hose. Not fun. I now dive with a standard length hose on my octo (still the minimus) and a 7' hose on the primary. Now, the OOA diver can be in front of me in a cavern/cave or wreck. This way there is NO awkwardness in OOA situations, which is what we are all aiming for. The marketing angle for these type of devices is having fewer hoses and less weight. Well, a LPI hose's weight is insignifigant. The 7' hose can be more streamlined than a lot of standard length hoses are. BTW, my secondary (octo) is on a bungee around my neck.

I have dived 2 different Alt air inflators over the last couple of years.
Beyond the reduction in the number of hoses on your rig and it's associated weight. There is the fact that this type of alternate second stage can not be dislogged from it's mounting position. This does tend to happen with standard octo and consoles. With the alt air it means 3 things. (1)That in an OOA situation you know were to find your air when your buddy rips your primary second stage from your mouth and (2)there is no chance of the second stage coming loose and harming the ecosystem or (3)getting hung up.
As for a 7' hose on your primary second stage it is an essential if you are diving in overhead obstructed environments but is unnecessary in basic recreational diving.

Air2s are illegal in Israel. You must have a regular primary and alternate octopus.

The main thing is to practice with both - especially breathing out of you Air2 and doing a safe ascent while your buddy is using your primary.

Personally, I decided to take mine off and use a regular octopus.

Now I'll probably get the "how stupid this is". Again, I'm not advocating, I'm simply saying what the regulation made by the Israeli Dive Authority is - and they have their reasons.

drdaddy
drdaddy, I appreciate the information you've given about diving in Israel in a couple of posts. Information is good. I now know that I wouldn't be happy diving in Israel. Not because the laws are stupid, but because I'm not comfortable with that level of intrusion on my personal choices. But I have abandoned my Air2 as sub-optimal and can certainly see the logic behind the law.

drdaddy,

Israel has ruled Air2 illegal? That's incredible, not that it will influence my choice of dive destinations. Good thing the US has not taken equally aggressive steps to rule on scuba equipment, perhaps we'd all be required to dive BP&W. I guess it would all depend on the power of the lobbying.

Good diving, Craig

I thought some US Gov Dep regulated scuba cylinders. Am I wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom