ScubaPro Air 1 second stage reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agadiver78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Im looking for some tech info on reassembly of the Air 1 second stage diaphragm and instal of the metal clip.
Just curious if someone may have service info for this.

Thanks
Howard

It has been quite some time since I removed and replaced the diaphragm and retaining clip on a Pilot (Air1 predecessor) and the main lesson I remember is don't ever do it again unless there is a problem with the seal. My recollection is it was not a mater of installing one part and then the other. You install both parts at the same time very carefully working to get the diaphragm under each of the tabs on the retainer clip.

Wish I could be more help.

You might try PMing Halocline. He has done a couple, not all successful.

Yes, the chrome metal clip is just akward to manipulate while trying to hold the diaphragm in place. I thought maybe
there was a trick to the process but it looks like it might take an act of Houdini ;-)
I've scattered and fixed numerous regulators in the past myself but never had the bemusement of fighting
this battle. If the darn thing didn't breath so well when up and running, I'd probably give it to the dog
to chew on, but Im not quite at that point...yet! :wink:
Thanks for the reply!

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 07:13 PM ----------

I decided to try sliding it into the case and over the diaphragm through the right exhaust port while keeping it
in the upright position. since it (the retainer clip) has a tang on each end, it stayed in place while I moved it around
the circumference of the Diaphragm and it snapped into position. I doubt this would have been easily accomplished
had I not lubed the diaphragm first (lightly) with food grade lubricant. I had to stare at the thing for a bit before
deciding to tackle the task for fear of damaging the irreplaceable diaphragm.
It's still a good Primary second stage but probably rated rather low regarding ease of maintenance,
but then it's 35 years old so... :wink: Let's go Diving!

I've had some luck putting the clip in under the diaphragm first, while the diaphragm is attached at the center but the edge is pushed up out of the way of the clip. Then I've taken a small wooden implement, like two popsicle sticks, and pried up the wings on the clip, slipped the diaphragm under, and released the clip. Those diaphragms are very easy to tear, you can guess how I know that.

Maybe herman could make a special tool for this too!

I'll try that next time I have one apart. I may have just gotten extremely lucky getting this one to
go back as it did, lol. BTW, did there use to be a shop in S.A. called Scuba Den and guy named Dave (something)? that ran it.
We bought our AGA gear from there back in late 70s.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom